Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

New harness - 5 or 6 point?

Search this Thread

Old 02-08-2011, 09:29 AM
jwt1603
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 196 Likes on 132 Posts

Default New harness - 5 or 6 point?

It's time for a new harness in the car. 5 and 6 point are virtually the same price. The seat I've got (Sparco) and every other race seat I've seen has only one opening in the bottom of the seat. If the two sub belts are coming through the same hole doesn't that pretty much make them a single belt?

Could someone explain this please? It's an autocross car that will be moving (I hope) up to some TT this year. And if things go well it wil be mostly TT next year.

So I guess what I'm really asking is how do I make a 6 point work with the seat I have and is a 6 point that much better than a 5 point since it apparently doesn't really spread the impact load any more than a 5 point?

By the way, I'm looking for a side mount seat to put on the passenger side so I can have an instructor drive with me so if anyone has a side mount seat (reasonably priced of course) in decent condition they are looking to sell send me a PM.

Thanks.
Old 02-08-2011, 10:20 AM
Jason
Team Owner

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
CI 4-5-6-7 Veteran

Anyone that's used one will recommend a 6pt.
Old 02-08-2011, 10:44 AM
jwt1603
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Based on what? Just honest curiosity.

I'm leaning towards a 6 simply because it seems that more attachment points would distribute the impact load better but I don't have any experience / evidence to base that on. Is that why people use the 6 vs 5?
Old 02-08-2011, 11:00 AM
Jason
Team Owner

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
CI 4-5-6-7 Veteran

After a slight tire wall impact my nuts were sore for 3 days with the 5pt.
Old 02-08-2011, 11:08 AM
jwt1603
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

So even though the two sub belts come up out of one opening in the seat base it's enouigh to spread the belts at the, ah, sensitive point of contact?
Old 02-08-2011, 11:50 AM
Last C5
Safety Car

Received 23 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by jwt1603
So even though the two sub belts come up out of one opening in the seat base it's enouigh to spread the belts at the, ah, sensitive point of contact?
Exactly! I have Corbeau, but I think the Sparco will be similar in the fact that the front center hole is wide enough to give the sub belts of a six point enough room to be effective.
Old 02-08-2011, 12:19 PM
racer313g
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Not the case for me at all. Currently, in the process of installing a Sparco in my car and routing the sub belts through the middle hole just squeezes them together and creates a 4 inch wide sub belt. I'm either going to modify my seat to change the belt angle or go back to a
5-point. I think the middle hole will work for smaller guys since the belts have more room to move towards the outside of the seat.
Old 02-08-2011, 01:42 PM
jwt1603
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by racer313g
Not the case for me at all. Currently, in the process of installing a Sparco in my car and routing the sub belts through the middle hole just squeezes them together and creates a 4 inch wide sub belt. I'm either going to modify my seat to change the belt angle or go back to a
5-point. I think the middle hole will work for smaller guys since the belts have more room to move towards the outside of the seat.
That's kind of what I was thinking would happen if I get a 6 point. The slot in the seatbase isn't very big at all.

On a side note....I wonder if cutting the base to open the slot makes the FIA certification invalid since that's not how the seat was configured when it went through testing?
Old 02-08-2011, 04:53 PM
Bill Dearborn
Tech Contributor

Received 8,928 Likes on 5,333 Posts

The seat I've got (Sparco) and every other race seat I've seen has only one opening in the bottom of the seat. If the two sub belts are coming through the same hole doesn't that pretty much make them a single belt?
Ultrashield and Kirkey Road Race seats are configured for 5 or 6 point belts. They have 3 holes for the subs. The middle is for the 5 point and the other two are for the 6 point.

Bill
Old 02-08-2011, 06:17 PM
autoxer6
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

6 point is the way to go. Yes, you do run them both through a 4" slot. However, they stay far enough apart that they give your "wedding vegetables" a little extra room.
Old 02-08-2011, 06:48 PM
ace996
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

After reading the case study ( http://www.sciencedirect.com/science.../sdarticle.pdf - WARNING****Graphic pics) of the rally-navigator who had "testicular degloving of the *******"...yeah, pictures were unbelieveable, I went to the Teamtech Jet-pilot harness. It mounts like a 6-point but 5th and 6th points wrap around your upper thighs and connect at the buckle...like a parachute harness or rock-climbing harness. Thankfully, I've not tested it's use (in a crash) but I've no reservations of using it. There's no chance of 'submarining' and when installed correctly should miminimze the "degloving" possibilities. When it comes down to it...a man's junk should not be a point of impact for a restraint system.

I bought the harness, custom sized and colors, through Gary at Hardbar. I cannot recommend it enough.

Also meets SFI 16.1 specs.

http://www.teamtechmotorsports.com/r.../jetpilot.html

This also eliminates the need for the harness to pass through the seat bottom.
Old 02-09-2011, 11:51 PM
RacePro Engineering
Tech Contributor

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

The anti-submarine thing started in formula cars and sports racers, where the driver sits in an exagerated reclining position. In these applications, the anti-sub belts are critical for restraining forward movement of the entire torso in the event of a front impact. The 2 anti-sub belts are anchored one to each side behind the driver, usually pass through a single hole in the seat, but then immediately are forced apart across the driver's thighs, and pass through wide-spaced loops on the lap belts (well clear of the CamLock), and eventually attach to the shoulder belts where they meet the lap belts, one on each side.

In sedan and production racecars, where the driver sits in a much more upright position, the anti-sub belt(s) serve more to hold the rest of the harness correctly down low on the hips. The true anti-submarine prevention is undoubtedly not as critical in these applications, and the harness designers and manufacturers have taken certain liberties. The FIA-certified, OMP harness we purchased a couple of years ago for the Cobra has both anti-subs permanently affixed to the CamLock buckle! There is no chance of spreading these belts. In that regard, it is acting just like a wide, single anti-sub.

For those of you wanting a "wider spread" like ace996, one can easily adapt a formula car-style harness. Pegasus carries a nice variety of these. And there will be no problems with homologation at Tech.

Ed LoPresti

Last edited by RacePro Engineering; 02-09-2011 at 11:55 PM.
Old 02-10-2011, 10:11 PM
bobmoore2
Drifting

Schroth Racing makes several 6-point harnesses that provide the proper separation of the sub straps at the latch mechanism.
http://www.schrothracing.com/store/Competition

I have the Profi II-6 with 36" sub straps. They came with 24" sub straps, but I found that my seat setup required longer. (I kept the power slider mechanism.) A quick call to Schroth got me the length I needed, delivered a few days later.
Old 02-11-2011, 05:31 AM
mfquinn
Pro

I have the Schroth Profi III H 6 point and I had the same issue. I am using the Hardbar lap belt bar and the sub straps are not long enough to reach the connect point. I just sent my substrap/cam lock piece back to them yesterday asking for the lower straps to be extended. I have the Corbeau TRS seats and it is a small opening for the sub strap hole but it looks like the design spreads it quick enough that it stradles the jewels.
Old 02-11-2011, 09:54 PM
bobmoore2
Drifting

Originally Posted by mfquinn
I am using the Hardbar lap belt bar and the sub straps are not long enough to reach the connect point. I just sent my substrap/cam lock piece back to them yesterday asking for the lower straps to be extended.
I'm using the Hardbar lap belt bar also, then sliding the seat forward quite a bit. I asked them to make my sub straps 36" long, but that was about 3" longer than I needed. It doesn't cost much more for more length than you need, so I asked for a little extra.

Originally Posted by mfquinn
I have the Corbeau TRS seats and it is a small opening for the sub strap hole but it looks like the design spreads it quick enough that it stradles the jewels.
It does. It is comfortable to wear too, not like the cheaper 6-points that bring both sub straps together (like an upside-down V).

Get notified of new replies

To New harness - 5 or 6 point?

Quick Reply: New harness - 5 or 6 point?