Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

oil cooler leak maybe on C6-Z51

Search this Thread

Old 02-08-2011, 11:24 PM
DRUGschnorr
Racer
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Default oil cooler leak maybe on C6-Z51

I added a Z06 oil cooler last year... getting ready for the track and i saw a spray of oil in the front left corner near where the quick connect fittings attach to the cooler... I usually rent the entire track and have to clean the Vram air cleaner of the stems and seeds.. the filter and the s curve were well coated w/ oil.
I run mobile one 5-30 and keep the revs down until the engine and oil get up to temp.. if i rev it while cold i see 90 psi oil pressure... on the track i average 55psi....i carry 3/4 qt above the 6.5qts.
I used the stock quick connects and i just don't think they are the best option..
What has everyone done to change the fitting to ANS or better... can i get a leed on sizes and fittings i would need to change hoses from the Z51 cooler lines... route to the Z06 cooler then into the internal cooler on the dewitts radiator then back to the oil return line...
If anyone has done this mod could you share the parts list.
Old 02-09-2011, 01:51 AM
Dirk Miller
Burning Brakes

Received 64 Likes on 54 Posts

Default Z06 oil Cooler Heat Exchanger

Originally Posted by DRUGschnorr
I added a Z06 oil cooler last year... getting ready for the track and i saw a spray of oil in the front left corner near where the quick connect fittings attach to the cooler... I usually rent the entire track and have to clean the Vram air cleaner of the stems and seeds.. the filter and the s curve were well coated w/ oil.
I run mobile one 5-30 and keep the revs down until the engine and oil get up to temp.. if i rev it while cold i see 90 psi oil pressure... on the track i average 55psi....i carry 3/4 qt above the 6.5qts.
I used the stock quick connects and i just don't think they are the best option..
What has everyone done to change the fitting to ANS or better... can i get a leed on sizes and fittings i would need to change hoses from the Z51 cooler lines... route to the Z06 cooler then into the internal cooler on the dewitts radiator then back to the oil return line...
________________________________________ _____________________
I did did the same on my ’08 and it worked great. Prior to my change out my oil temps were 315 @ Thunder Hill on a 68 degree day. Once I changed out, they dropped below 270. Tonight it’s too late to go into the details of my connections, but in a day or two I could send you pictures and part numbers for what worked for me.

What I don’t understand, is the way you posed a question as if you were not sure you had a leak? What do you mean by "oil cooler leak maybe on C6-Z51 "?
The following users liked this post:
ledfootlon (05-10-2016)
Old 02-09-2011, 07:50 AM
ErnieN85
Safety Car

Received 266 Likes on 223 Posts

I'd just check the fittings, make doubly sure they do not have a damaged oring and are seated properly. I have never heard of any one having this problem

Last edited by ErnieN85; 02-09-2011 at 07:55 AM.
Old 02-09-2011, 02:03 PM
DRUGschnorr
Racer
Support Corvetteforum!

it very well could be the retainer clips... had to reuse the originals and i will pull apart and check the o ring.. the lower hose wiggles more than i like..

Im not totally sure it is my oil as i was following a stock car tightly for 4 sessions and got to smell exhaust the entire time.... but that is pushing it.

I think i'd like to cut the slip connectors and use real hose fittings..
Old 02-10-2011, 11:28 AM
DRUGschnorr
Racer
Support Corvetteforum!

Wonder where i can acquire new clips?
Dealer sells w/ entire cooler.
Old 02-10-2011, 01:23 PM
ErnieN85
Safety Car

Received 266 Likes on 223 Posts

Try a transmission shop, maybe a NAPA store. I Think ECS had them too
Old 05-10-2016, 01:17 PM
ledfootlon
Intermediate

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Default Oil Temp reduction

Originally Posted by Dirk Miller
________________________________________ _____________________
I did did the same on my ’08 and it worked great. Prior to my change out my oil temps were 315 @ Thunder Hill on a 68 degree day. Once I changed out, they dropped below 270. Tonight it’s too late to go into the details of my connections, but in a day or two I could send you pictures and part numbers for what worked for me.

What I don’t understand, is the way you posed a question as if you were not sure you had a leak? What do you mean by "oil cooler leak maybe on C6-Z51 "?
Peaked my interest to see that you dropped oil temps from 315 to 270 with one mod. I want to track a 2008 Callaway base model with the z51 package. It has a few mods on top of the Callaway package including a mild cam and headers. It dyno'ed 540 rwhp.

In 88 degree weather last Saturday at the Ridge MSP in Shelton Washington I was seeing AT fluid temps up to 270 and engine oil temps around slightly north of 300. This was by the end of a twenty minute session. I am already running the Dewitts dual core radiator and 17" brushless fan. I would be very interested to know how you did the oil cooler install and any updates on keeping the beast cool.
Old 05-10-2016, 11:54 PM
jwd
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by DRUGschnorr
Am I reading that you're using the stock lines to the cooler? On my 2008 Z51, I've had the lines to my oil cooler fail at the crimp point, where the metal connects to the hose/line.. I've actually had power steering lines fail the exact same way 6mo earlier...

Perhaps inspect the lines at the crimp point?

Just a thought..
Old 05-11-2016, 12:46 PM
jwd
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by jwd
Am I reading that you're using the stock lines to the cooler? On my 2008 Z51, I've had the lines to my oil cooler fail at the crimp point, where the metal connects to the hose/line.. I've actually had power steering lines fail the exact same way 6mo earlier...

Perhaps inspect the lines at the crimp point?

Just a thought..
Just saw this thread was from 2011... sigh.

Get notified of new replies

To oil cooler leak maybe on C6-Z51

Quick Reply: oil cooler leak maybe on C6-Z51