Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

GoPro HD ??s

Old 02-10-2011, 09:06 PM
JDIllon
Melting Slicks

Received 294 Likes on 76 Posts

Default GoPro HD ??s

Those of you that are using the GoPro HD, what are you using for editing the video's, are you having to convert the video to another format before editing? I'm thinking of buying a GoPro HD but it looks like you have to convert there files to a new format to edit. Any info, IE: how do you like the camera? what resolution are you shooting track video in? Any and all help, thanks. JD
Old 02-10-2011, 09:10 PM
bobmoore2
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I've also got a new one that I'm just starting to use. So I will be listening to this thread.
Old 02-10-2011, 10:35 PM
Everett Ogilvie
Melting Slicks

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I am considering this camera as well so will be interested in any info.
Old 02-10-2011, 11:22 PM
Rednels
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have one. Converting the files is easy. There are plenty of free programs that do this. I think for the money the GoPro HD cant be beat.

Just google "free mp4 to avi" or something like that.
Old 02-10-2011, 11:26 PM
John Shiels
Team Owner

Location: Buy USA products! Check the label! Employ Americans
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Mine works every other video or there about. It records every time and the file is there but it won't play. Their online help sucks. I tried different software they suggested to play the videos which did not help. I never followed up on it yet and have it since the summer. Guess I have to mail it back they said if it doesn't work. They now offer a small LCD screen that clips on the back no clue why I just bought that too. I have not tried it yet. When it works it is good.

Last edited by John Shiels; 02-10-2011 at 11:31 PM.
Old 02-10-2011, 11:28 PM
Rednels
Instructor

John,
what kind of SD card are you using? If its not a class 10 that could be your problem, or if its made by a crappy manufacturer.

I havent had 1 video mess up yet.....
Old 02-11-2011, 12:05 AM
John Shiels
Team Owner

Originally Posted by Rednels
John,
what kind of SD card are you using? If its not a class 10 that could be your problem, or if its made by a crappy manufacturer.

I havent had 1 video mess up yet.....
Kingston 16G. I have a few and tried them with the same result. When you go to play some of the files it says it can't recognize the file and it seems to be every other one. Just found the old help email I sent and will have to start in the morning again and send it back I guess. I hate crap like this I'd rather open the back door throw it off the dock in the morning into the bay! If the economy was better I think I would take a video of it getting sledged for youtube! The instructions I got with the LCD screen are in a tiny black book with minute print, it is so ridiculous! I can read it but it's just stupid. I guess I can go online and print it to a normal size the ants don't read!

I wanted to use it in the car if I ever get it together. I used it on my kayak in the rough water and on the boat in some big waves in the inlet. You go out and expect to get some good footage and take a few risk for a good video and then it don't play! It is so frustrating.

Kingston is decent card right?

Last edited by John Shiels; 02-11-2011 at 12:15 AM.
Old 02-11-2011, 01:42 AM
Thrillhouse
Racer
Support Corvetteforum!

I use Sony Movie Studio and an 8GB Class 6 SD card made by "AData"
Old 02-11-2011, 08:35 AM
argonaut
Burning Brakes

Received 46 Likes on 36 Posts

Do you want to only convert it? Or do you want to also edit it - things like clipping out parts to shorten that 20 min video down to bite size chunks, fade in/out, improve the sound, sharpen the picture, add graphics, etc. If its the later you need a full editing tool. As you'd expect there are a wide range of editing tools from the very basic freebees to ones with lots of features and prices to match. The tool I use is Power Director. It can convert virturally any file format to any other and has nice upload cababilities right to YouTube, Facebook, etc. Its received multiple awards and is frequently picked as one of the top video editros by magazines. Its a nice tool but also takes a bit to learn and needs a powerful computer.
Old 02-11-2011, 09:44 AM
Kneel 8250
Drifting

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
St. Jude Donor '11-'12

Originally Posted by John Shiels
Kingston 16G. I have a few and tried them with the same result. When you go to play some of the files it says it can't recognize the file and it seems to be every other one. Just found the old help email I sent and will have to start in the morning again and send it back I guess. I hate crap like this I'd rather open the back door throw it off the dock in the morning into the bay! If the economy was better I think I would take a video of it getting sledged for youtube! The instructions I got with the LCD screen are in a tiny black book with minute print, it is so ridiculous! I can read it but it's just stupid. I guess I can go online and print it to a normal size the ants don't read!

I wanted to use it in the car if I ever get it together. I used it on my kayak in the rough water and on the boat in some big waves in the inlet. You go out and expect to get some good footage and take a few risk for a good video and then it don't play! It is so frustrating.

Kingston is decent card right?
John, I googled Kingston 16G SD cards and they are only a class 4. You want a minimum class 6 or the card can not read the data fast enough. Either that or slow down the camera feed rate from 1080 (F5) to 710 (F3).
There is a great thread on this in C6Z06 that explains it all better.
Have a great day.

Kneel.
Old 02-11-2011, 10:01 AM
John Shiels
Team Owner

Originally Posted by Kneel 8250
John, I googled Kingston 16G SD cards and they are only a class 4. You want a minimum class 6 or the card can not read the data fast enough. Either that or slow down the camera feed rate from 1080 (F5) to 710 (F3).
There is a great thread on this in C6Z06 that explains it all better.
Have a great day.

Kneel.

Thanks! I think that is what they shipped the unit with but I will check. I was using the same cards in hunting cameras to try and get some scum stealing but mostly committing vandalism.

Wonder why some work and other vids don't? I have some nice long vids.

edit I see it does have a 4 on it. I'll get another one today if I can't find one here.

Second edit http://www.kingston.com/flash/sdhc_micro.asp Couple of Kingstons are rated ten but mine is 4. Going for one now!

Last edited by John Shiels; 02-11-2011 at 10:14 AM.
Old 02-11-2011, 10:31 AM
Kneel 8250
Drifting

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
St. Jude Donor '11-'12

Thanks! I think that is what they shipped the unit with but I will check. I was using the same cards in hunting cameras to try and get some scum stealing but mostly committing vandalism.

edit I see it does have a 4 on it. I'll get another one today if I can't find one here.

Second edit http://www.kingston.com/flash/sdhc_micro.asp Couple of Kingstons are rated ten but mine is 4. Going for one now!
John, I am keen on purchasing a GoPro so am researching the problems first.
Let us know if you have success and fix this.
Thanks.
Have a great day.
Kneel.
Old 02-11-2011, 10:42 AM
Rob Willis
Safety Car

Received 121 Likes on 63 Posts

Originally Posted by argonaut
Do you want to only convert it? Or do you want to also edit it - things like clipping out parts to shorten that 20 min video down to bite size chunks, fade in/out, improve the sound, sharpen the picture, add graphics, etc. If its the later you need a full editing tool. As you'd expect there are a wide range of editing tools from the very basic freebees to ones with lots of features and prices to match. The tool I use is Power Director. It can convert virturally any file format to any other and has nice upload cababilities right to YouTube, Facebook, etc. Its received multiple awards and is frequently picked as one of the top video editros by magazines. Its a nice tool but also takes a bit to learn and needs a powerful computer.
Can it do PiP?
Old 02-11-2011, 11:00 AM
John Shiels
Team Owner

Originally Posted by Kneel 8250
John, I am keen on purchasing a GoPro so am researching the problems first.
Let us know if you have success and fix this.
Thanks.
Have a great day.
Kneel.
I am sure mine is a isolated problem. When it works it is great.
Old 02-11-2011, 11:01 AM
Rob Willis
Safety Car

Received 121 Likes on 63 Posts

I like my trusty old Aiptek for the price!
Old 02-11-2011, 12:13 PM
JDIllon
Melting Slicks

Received 294 Likes on 76 Posts

John, your 4 is more than enough!!

Here is some interesting info http://www.buzzle.com/articles/sdhc-...ifference.html
Also a class 4 SDHC card is what is sold by GoPro. And according to there specs that is more than enough. JD
Old 02-11-2011, 12:30 PM
John Shiels
Team Owner

Originally Posted by JDIllon
John, your 4 is more than enough!!

Here is some interesting info http://www.buzzle.com/articles/sdhc-...ifference.html
Also a class 4 SDHC card is what is sold by GoPro. And according to there specs that is more than enough. JD

I went to the store then called back to the honey to check on the site and she pulled up http://gopro.com/camera-accessories/16gb-sd-memory-card

Which is what I have.

Get notified of new replies

To GoPro HD ??s

Old 02-11-2011, 12:36 PM
dbratten
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 35 Likes on 33 Posts

Sorry to hear of your problems with it but my GoPro HD has worked well for over a year. Only real trouble is operator error when I don't check that I've turned it on. It's now especially easy to use with the one-button-on and inverted-image settings.

I also use a Kingston 16GB card which gives me 2.5 hours of recording or roughly 10 minutes per GB which is slightly more than the battery life.

I use Quicktime on my iMac to do easy edits like cropping or capturing multiple segments and for uploading to Youtube. For more elaborate work I use iMovie.

You can view some race video here.
Old 02-11-2011, 12:43 PM
sothpaw2
Safety Car

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by argonaut

Arg,

I'd like to edit. What are the basic freebee editors that I can use on my 4 yr old pc?

Thanks
Old 02-11-2011, 01:06 PM
John Shiels
Team Owner

Originally Posted by sothpaw2
Arg,

I'd like to edit. What are the basic freebee editors that I can use on my 4 yr old pc?

Thanks
I think VLC media player. There is a list on the GoPro site.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: GoPro HD ??s