Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Getting out of a crashed race car.

Search this Thread

Old 02-13-2011, 07:08 PM
Paul Schmidt
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Getting out of a crashed race car.

Hello racers,

I went to my two day SCCA racing school and we went over something that I think is over looked. Getting out of a crashed race car. They had us practice getting out of the car as fast as we could, pretending that the driver's door was pinned closed. Pretty easy in the school's car, but I just had my roll cage installed.

Now with the cage and the my Sparco Pro Circut seat. It's tough to get through the window. I'm trying to get a procedure down. I have a fire system installed too. So I need to have a fire scenario drill.

What do you think and what's your plan. Something simple to you could save a life.

Thanks guys,

Last edited by Paul Schmidt; 02-13-2011 at 07:10 PM.
Old 02-13-2011, 07:13 PM
rfn026
Safety Car

Received 272 Likes on 214 Posts

Since I'm the smallest guy on our LeMons team I have to do the exit in tech. I can get out of the window in a very short time. The fat guys on our team are going to die.

Richard
Old 02-13-2011, 08:02 PM
DarkMastyr
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by rfn026
The fat guys on our team are going to die.

Richard

...sorry no laughing matter...
Old 02-13-2011, 08:22 PM
eogel
Burning Brakes

Received 24 Likes on 19 Posts

It's an excellent point. A NASA school I was part of brought the students into the post race compound area and timed each student getting out of the car. I do not recall how much time they were allowed, but it was not long. It makes the point.
Old 02-13-2011, 08:28 PM
Gatorac
Pro

Richard
That's just funny right there.

Maybe they will get lucky and succumb to a hear attack before they burn to death in a race car.
Old 02-13-2011, 08:29 PM
Painrace
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 63 Likes on 48 Posts

It is always best to plan and practice. However, I have been in several high speed impacts and I can tell you some times you are just knocked silly. I never raced a car that had a door that would open.

Jim
Old 02-13-2011, 08:59 PM
GettReal
Le Mans Master

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Richard
LMAO I just laughed out loud and my family all just looked over at me..

On a serious note, I have practiced getting out of my 5pt harness and race seat with my eyes closed and helmet on pretending there was a lot of smoke crawling over my roll bar and I think I did pretty good... but I have NEVER practiced it with not opening the door I think I'd panic... note to self...try this at least once.
Old 02-13-2011, 09:08 PM
Joy of 6
Drifting

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Since I'm the smallest guy on our LeMons team I have to do the exit in tech. I can get out of the window in a very short time. The fat guys on our team are going to die.

Richard
At least I'll die doing what I enjoy.....

Not sure but I thought that SCCA has a 10 second evacuation requirement???
Old 02-13-2011, 09:20 PM
Sgt.Gator
Instructor
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Default This should be required reading

http://grassrootsmotorsports.com/art...fighting-fire/
"In the SCCA’s World Challenge series, in fact, we have to do an exit test every year for every car that we drive. We get 15 seconds to go from race-ready and belted-in to outside the car. I believe that I still hold the record for quickest exit at just under five seconds. That exit involved a bit of bleeding, but it prepared me for surviving what happened at Thunderhill."

After reading the main article be sure to read the Learned Lessons down on the right.

Last edited by Sgt.Gator; 02-14-2011 at 12:36 PM.
Old 02-13-2011, 09:23 PM
az55
Instructor

I run ST2 with NASA Arizona and if you can't get out of your car in 15 seconds, you can't race. They periodically have spot tests in the paddock.
I have practiced with the door closed and it's hard but I do it regularly in case I get "tested". I disconnect and pull myself helmet first with my back facing outward through the window. I wrap my hands around the roll bar and do " a chin up" right out the opening.

I don't mind, though. It may save my skin someday.

Cheers,
CV
Old 02-13-2011, 09:23 PM
John Shiels
Team Owner

Location: Buy USA products! Check the label! Employ Americans
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Good to practice blindfolded like we did in offshore race boats. They would put us in a small aluminum cage with a seat. Spin you in all directions under water and when they stopped you had to get out but not before the bubbles cleared. In a race boat if you release before the water is calm you could end up under the dash and into the bow. It has happened and then good chance your done. It should be second nature. You could be upside down in your car also looking to bail or may even have to exit out the other door if driving side is blocked.
Old 02-13-2011, 09:24 PM
flink
Racer

I always remain fully strapped in when I bring the car to my paddock spot. And each and every time I exit that car, I treat it as an emergency exit. I don't do it at a mad speed of course, but I go through the same steps in the same order.
Old 02-13-2011, 10:20 PM
SIK02SS
Melting Slicks

Received 33 Likes on 30 Posts

fortunately for me, I practice this quite often. Whether my car is on my open trailer or in my closed trailer I have to crawl in and out of the window. I'm 6'3 185 and very flexible

1) steering wheel off (Obviously only works if it's on a quick release)
2) butt to the back of the seat
3) swing legs over trans tunnel into passenger area (depending how tall you are depends how far over you have to put your legs)
4) arms out the window
5) head out the window
6) pull yourself out and push with your legs on pass door, seat, tunnel, your seat..whatever you need

That's a regular routine for me and it works in the opposite manner getting in. The hard part is your helmet and hans device is a very tight fit through the window with a window net latch and for me, a Cobra Sebring Pro seat.
Old 02-13-2011, 10:26 PM
TedDBere
Melting Slicks

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I always wondered what the Elise guys were going to when they crash. At a local autocross my friend in his Elise forgot his helmet and asked me to pass it in to him. It wouldn't fit through the window with the roof on. So I said to him, "How are you going to get out of that thing with your helmet on if you need to?" He responded with only a thoughtful and puzzled look.
Old 02-13-2011, 10:49 PM
Bill Dearborn
Tech Contributor

Received 8,929 Likes on 5,333 Posts

One thing I found out when my student's 2000 Viper went into the guard rail at Watkins Glen is you can't go out through a Viper window with your helmet on. It will not fit. I am not sure whether I would fit. I had to crawl across the car and out the driver's door.

Bill
Old 02-13-2011, 11:27 PM
passmenow
Drifting

Received 61 Likes on 39 Posts

Another option when all else fails, can you kick out the windshield to crawl out a Vette?
Old 02-14-2011, 01:17 AM
Sgt.Gator
Instructor
Support Corvetteforum!

I've thought a lot about Spec Miata, but I'm 6'4, 235 and don't think I could exit one on fire thru the window if the door was jammed. However I did the Skip Barber MX-5 Cup school and there was no problem getting out if the car is upright, just straight up the top since a hardtop is not even allowed. [Edit: Spec Miata does allow no hardtops]. No roof cars have some safety disadvantages, but being able to exit quickly is a major plus.

Last edited by Sgt.Gator; 02-15-2011 at 02:17 AM.

Get notified of new replies

To Getting out of a crashed race car.

Old 02-14-2011, 10:37 AM
96CollectorSport
Melting Slicks

Location: If you don't weigh in you don't wrestle Road America
Received 73 Likes on 54 Posts

For NASA it's 10 seconds with the door open, 15 seconds if you go out through the window - either side.

Here it is right from the NASA CCR -
The driver must demonstrate the
ability to exit their car within ten (10) seconds by opening the door (for cars with doors)
or open-top vehicles (e.g. formula / sports racers); and within fifteen (15) seconds by
way of the window opening for sedans. Drivers must be wearing all of their required
driver’s gear and be tightly belted into the driver’s seat when the clock starts. Anyone
that fails this test may be penalized with penalties ranging from a warning to exclusion
from participation until corrections are made.
It kind of makes me wonder about the race seats with the built in head protection, yeah it's safer than nets but it's a lot harder to get out of a car with those larger seats in them.

I've seen NASA do the spot checks, kinda funny to watch.
Old 02-14-2011, 11:39 AM
John B
Pro
Pro Mechanic

Received 36 Likes on 28 Posts

Forwarding to my fat buddies for motivation
Old 02-14-2011, 11:56 AM
L98Terror
Race Director

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
W. Detroit Events Coordinator
Cruise-In VI Veteran
Cruise-In VII Veteran
Cruise-In VII Autocross Champ

Nasa checked everyone at Grattan a few years back, I had the second fastest time at 6.6 seconds out the window, never even tried to open the door the hardest part was my hans got caught on the roll bar above the door so I had to go back in and try again. No hans under 5 seconds.

Quick Reply: Getting out of a crashed race car.