Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Looking for advice

Search this Thread

Old 02-13-2011, 07:39 PM
JohnAlley
Pro

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

Default Looking for advice

2011 will be my first year with NASA and I am wanting to get into PTA so here is my question. What needs to be done to a stock 2004 Z06 to make it ready fro PTA class. I know first item is a lot of seat time but I want to have the car as close to race ready as possible so that I learn with the car in final race prep. Hoping to do the Mid-Ohio 3 day school to help with shorting the learning curve.
Old 02-13-2011, 07:44 PM
davidfarmer
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 712 Likes on 493 Posts

a cage and safety gear is all that's required, but shocks/tires/clutch/bushings are the bulk of mods that you can do. ST2 is more open if you want a more "racey" car, but PTA is fairly stock.
Old 02-13-2011, 07:59 PM
Jason
Team Owner

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
CI 4-5-6-7 Veteran

Stainless brake lines and some brake ducts. All the safety gear you can buy and lots of seat time. See you out there.

PTA #07
Old 02-14-2011, 10:15 AM
96CollectorSport
Melting Slicks

Location: If you don't weigh in you don't wrestle Road America
Received 73 Likes on 54 Posts

If PTA is your goal then it may not be a bad idea to take a look at a C5 T1 car. You would have to do some work to the car to de-mod/re-mod it for PTA, but the parts you take off could help pay for the stuff you have to change.

Besides the cage, kill switch and fire system all of your saftey equipment has to be up-to-date. Which means belts have to be less than 2 years old, race seat, window and right side net less than 5 years old. You'll also have to purchase all of your personal saftey gear, suit, gloves, socks, shoes, HANS and helmet. (Starting in Jan 2012 you need to have a SA2005 or newer helmet) If you are going to do W2W a 2-way radio system is a good idea too.

There is a pretty good cost differance between TT and W2W, TT uses the same rules as HPDE, but W2W you need to have all of that safety equipment and it has to be up to date.

One other thing is that you can't run coolant in your cooling system, just water and water wetter.

Last edited by 96CollectorSport; 02-14-2011 at 11:23 AM.
Old 02-15-2011, 11:36 AM
drivinhard
Racer
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by 96CollectorSport
There is a pretty good cost differance between TT and W2W, TT uses the same rules as HPDE, but W2W you need to have all of that safety equipment and it has to be up to date.
we dodged a few bullets running TTA for 2 years with no cage, but I'd recommend lots of safety stuff even for TTA. A C5Z will get to kill you speeds pretty quick, laps times are ~ with what a T1 car will do. 155 mph peak speeds at the fastest tracks.

Get notified of new replies

To Looking for advice

Quick Reply: Looking for advice