Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Noah's Ark at Daytona!

Search this Thread

Old 02-14-2011, 04:37 PM
John Shiels
Team Owner

Location: Buy USA products! Check the label! Employ Americans
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Default Noah's Ark at Daytona!

Watching the Bud Shoot out the other night and the cars are all running in pairs to be fast two by two like Noahloading the boat. Not really what NASCAR want I would imagine. No wing and new splitters make it a must to have a partner to go forward. God help you if your are the 15 car or odd man out. They look of silly all running in pairs and they are so on the edge when one car goes out of alignment in the corner entry they both lose it like Mark Martin.

I think people want packs and crashes not dosey doe your partner square dance racing! It must be very fatiguing mentally and physically to run 185-200+ inches off a bumper for hours! Seems like a lot of crashes. Talk about aero they are on the edge all the time to win. they concentrate even on seam gaps in the body to win.

Last edited by John Shiels; 02-14-2011 at 04:41 PM.
Old 02-14-2011, 04:52 PM
Everett Ogilvie
Melting Slicks

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Yeah, it was weird - no one has ever seen that kind of racing at Daytona. You could tell that the drivers had to be ON IT every second and many wonder if they can keep it up for the 500. The fastest qualifying speed was 186 - the fastest any car can run alone. The pairs ran 206. If you DON'T hook up with someone you are running 21 mph slower..... does not leave much choice.

They removed some air flow tubes to try to make the cars run hotter so they would not stay hooked up for so many laps, but it did not help. Now they are giving them a lower value pressure relief valve for the cooling system so the cars will overheat at 240 (instead of 270 like they normally do) to try to reduce the amount of time they can stay hooked up. If that does not work in the Duels on Thursday, they may go to an even smaller restrictor plate.
Old 02-14-2011, 05:28 PM
John Shiels
Team Owner

Thanks for the info
Old 02-14-2011, 05:53 PM
Glennm27
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,408 Likes on 611 Posts
2017 C7 of the Year Finalist
St. Jude Contributor

It was weird watching them Saturday evening. I heard one driver, I think it was Carl Edwards saying when he paired up with the other car (Edwards was @ the #2 position) they were running 202mph and he could NOT see through the car ahead of him. Running those speeds and seeing NOTHING but the rear of the car ahead sounds pretty darn scary.

It was no fun for me to watch. I'll admit I've never been much of a NASCAR fan anyway, but this made it even less appealing to me....
Old 02-14-2011, 07:05 PM
drivinhard
Racer
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

take the plates off and set it up so they have to lift in the corners. if they are worried about a car flying up in the stands going 240, then use the sports car course kink on the backstraight to slow down the lap speed
Old 02-14-2011, 07:10 PM
John Shiels
Team Owner

Originally Posted by drivinhard
take the plates off and set it up so they have to lift in the corners. if they are worried about a car flying up in the stands going 240, then use the sports car course kink on the backstraight to slow down the lap speed
your kidding they can't all turn
Old 02-14-2011, 08:16 PM
bobmoore2
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I haven't watched a NASCAR super-speedway race in years, and this is the reason.

Stock Car racing used to be an individual sport, now it is a team thing. If you can't partner-up with someone, you can't win.
Old 02-14-2011, 08:29 PM
drivinhard
Racer
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by John Shiels
your kidding they can't all turn
yeah but wouldn't you tune in to see a 3,600 lb car standing on the nose from 220 every lap
Old 02-14-2011, 08:48 PM
quickc6
Burning Brakes

Well I guess I'm the only one who enjoys NASCAR. But then agin I
enjoy all auto racing .
Old 02-15-2011, 04:09 AM
vettehardt
Burning Brakes

Received 68 Likes on 56 Posts

Originally Posted by quickc6
enjoy all auto racing .
I enjoy it also. It still takes a lot of skill to drive those car at the speed they go. I've been to both the Indy 500 and the Brickyard 400 for the past 6 years. This is going to be an interesting daytona 500. It will be like a 500 mile chess match to see who can make the move to the front. At the end of the shootout, it seemed like when the front four finally ran with two cars then a little space, then the next two cars, they were really able to walk away from the rest of the field.

Besides, even those that wrecked out said it was fun out there.
Old 02-15-2011, 06:22 AM
TLGunman
Le Mans Master

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I noticed that too, the pair-space-pair setup seemed to work, where the long line of cars didn't. With a full field, it should make it interesting to see play out. Plus the changes to the cooling system will add an unknown.
Old 02-15-2011, 08:44 AM
brkntrxn
Drifting

Received 51 Likes on 42 Posts

Originally Posted by drivinhard

I have been saying that for 15 years. Let the guy with the biggest pair win.
Old 02-15-2011, 09:28 AM
VetteDrmr
Le Mans Master

Received 1,398 Likes on 749 Posts

Well I guess I'm the only one who enjoys NASCAR.
No, you're not. I personally think NASCAR has some of the best racing around. As much as I love F1, how many passes for position in the top 5 positions do you see on track? "Oh, you just don't understand, it's the TECHNOLOGY."

Humph. If it's the technology then just run everything through theire magic simulator, post the results and pay the money. FIA could even show the races using CGI, throw in random failures, and Kubica could still race!

Indycar? Please, just don't bring that up, it hurts too much.

Le Mans and ALMS? Love it, but where do you watch it? Grand AM? About the same, but at least it's on TV.

Anyway, I'll stop my whining now; the twins are coming up in 2 days!

Have a good one,
Mike

Last edited by VetteDrmr; 02-15-2011 at 09:31 AM.
Old 02-15-2011, 09:50 AM
L98Terror
Race Director

W. Detroit Events Coordinator
Cruise-In VI Veteran
Cruise-In VII Veteran
Cruise-In VII Autocross Champ

enjoy all auto racing .
I do as well, it's funny I read a interview with Andy Pilgram and he stated that when he was teamed up with Dale & Jr. that they were both 3 tenths of a second faster on the oval portion of the Road Course (for the 24) than both him and Kerry Collins. Those that have never driven an oval think there is no skill, try it and you'll change your mind quick.
Old 02-16-2011, 10:09 AM
sperkins
Le Mans Master

Received 44 Likes on 35 Posts

This rule set has to be one of the most rediculous things I've seen this dying sport do in quite a while. I mean how fricking boring is it to watch 2 cars hook up and run around in a big circle until 2 other cars catch some steam and blow by them like their sitting in a drive thru waiting on some tater tots. I swear I'd much rather see them all run 300hp V6's and actually do some racing. It's just stupid.
Old 02-16-2011, 10:32 AM
cire96
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The Datona 500 has become much like the NBA ... Tune in for the last two minutes. That observation aside, I was convinced that it would be utterly impossible to make the old "freight train" Datona/Talladaga drafting mode any more boring. Amazingly NASCAR has exceeded my expectations!
Cire

Last edited by cire96; 02-16-2011 at 10:35 AM.
Old 02-16-2011, 10:44 AM
John Shiels
Team Owner

Originally Posted by cire96
The Datona 500 has become much like the NBA ... Tune in for the last two minutes. That observation aside, I was convinced that it would be utterly impossible to make the old "freight train" Datona/Talladaga drafting mode any more boring. Amazingly NASCAR has exceeded my expectations!
Cire
record, fast forward to yellow then go back a bit and watch wreck, continue to last ten laps then watch till end.

There was a show last year where they had all the tech stuff on NASCAR and that was good. It had mechanical and aero on it. Not nuts about watching two by two but they are highly technical in the quest to win by a foot. NASCAR just don't want them over 200 mph. It was fun when I was a kid as every year racing got faster and faster. Now it is limited but I can see why.

If a car took off into the stands and killed 10 or even 40 I could see happening what would be left of the sport? It would affect all motor racing with sponsor and insurance of them.

Get notified of new replies

To Noah's Ark at Daytona!

Old 02-16-2011, 10:51 AM
drivinhard
Racer
Support Corvetteforum!

Check out 25 yrs ago, Waltrip inside that thing. Elliot qualified 210 that year, check out the safety gear/seat in those dinosaurs. Driver's head is on the roof, belts don't even look tight

It was fun to watch back then though, I was a kid and I remember huddling around the TV.
Old 02-16-2011, 07:20 PM
brkntrxn
Drifting

Received 51 Likes on 42 Posts

Originally Posted by John Shiels
record, fast forward to yellow then go back a bit and watch wreck, continue to last ten laps then watch till end.

This is the ONLY way to watch NAPCAR
Old 02-16-2011, 07:39 PM
John Shiels
Team Owner

Originally Posted by brkntrxn
This is the ONLY way to watch NAPCAR
funny you say that when I have nothing to do and watch it I do fall asleep after 15-20 minutes. Last year I watch the 500 and one road race. Few 15 minute stints where I fell asleep.

Watch a football game and watch only the plays and you can go through it in a jiff.

Quick Reply: Noah's Ark at Daytona!