Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Let's talk about toe.

Search this Thread

Old 02-15-2011, 09:32 PM
mountainbiker2
Melting Slicks

Received 37 Likes on 33 Posts

Default Let's talk about toe.

C5 Corvette. Autocross.

Front toe? My understanding is that toe out in the front makes quicker turn in. What about the rest of the turn? The car might turn in quicker, but what about grip in the middle of the turn and exit? Can't I just turn the steering wheel faster? I had a guy tell me that 1/16" toe in would make the car grip much better in sweepers then toe out. This same guy gets top time of the day quite often. Not a Corvette though.

Rear Toe? Toe in on the rear to get better grip on exit? What about the rest of the corner? I believe it creates understeer more.

Thanks,

Steve A.
Old 02-15-2011, 10:13 PM
fatbillybob
Melting Slicks

Received 205 Likes on 161 Posts

look up akerman angle and it will explain whys of front toe out. My understanding on rear toe is that the toe set is ment to control rear steering as the car goes through its full suspension travel. note on the C5Z06 rear toe is about zero yet on an NSX it is huge at about 1/4"-3/16". The reason is you don't want rear steering as the suspension changes and you want to err on understeer of the chassis for safety. In the the C5 as the susoension changes the rear toe almost does not change at all therefore zero toe in the rear makes sense because suspension travel does not induce rear steering. In the NSX you need the large toe in the rear toavoid rear steering and the negative was quickly wearing tires in the rear.
Old 02-15-2011, 11:49 PM
BEZ06
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 835 Likes on 595 Posts

Take a look at David Farmer's great site:

http://davidfarmerstuff.com

Scroll down and click on "Why Toe Out", and check out the other links for some good info about alignments: "alignment guide", "Camber Plates", and "Suspension Setup".

Bob
Old 02-15-2011, 11:53 PM
sperkins
Le Mans Master

Received 44 Likes on 35 Posts

Definatetly toe out front and toe in rear. One of the tracks we run in the southeast is like a really big autocross course. I run a lot of toe in on the rear and it's fast. Rear toe is more crucial than front in my opinion on tracks like that. Rear tire wear is minimal as well.
Old 02-16-2011, 02:06 AM
bobmoore2
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Steve,

You have been asking several questions about suspensions and handling lately. Have you ever read this book? You'll probably find the answers in there, plus lots of things you never even thought of.

How to make your car handle - Fred Puhn

-- Bob
Old 02-16-2011, 08:06 AM
drivinhard
Racer
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by fatbillybob
In the the C5 as the susoension changes the rear toe almost does not change at all therefore zero toe in the rear makes sense because suspension travel does not induce rear steering.
You'll get 1/16" of difference just from having 200 lb driver weight simulated in the car, or not.
Old 02-16-2011, 12:31 PM
Solofast
Melting Slicks

Received 85 Likes on 71 Posts

Rear wheel toe in provides "roll understeer". That is, as the car rolls it steers the tire that the load is increasing on towards the inside of the corner. This increases stability so you have to steer more into the corner as the car rolls to maintain your line.

What happens is that the car yaws first, then generates lateral g in the rear tires, and then the car rolls. In an autocross you don't generally have as much steady state cornering. You have more transients and you need the response there. Toe in in the back prevents the overshoot that would happen as it gives you more understeer later in the cornering process.

What seems to work is some toe out in the front to get the car to turn in quickly, but some toe in in the rear to maintain stability.

You really can't talk about transient response without including shocks into the equation. While toe is important, you need to fine tune transient response with shocks. That way you get the car to turn in quickly, build g quickly and then maintain a high lateral g (roll stiffness distribution, tire grip and camber effects predominate here).

Last edited by Solofast; 02-16-2011 at 01:06 PM.
Old 02-19-2011, 09:12 PM
froggy47
Race Director

Received 194 Likes on 164 Posts

lurk
Old 02-19-2011, 10:16 PM
TriplBlk
Safety Car

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Old 02-20-2011, 02:20 PM
rustyguns
Le Mans Master

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by fatbillybob
look up akerman angle and it will explain whys of front toe out. My understanding on rear toe is that the toe set is ment to control rear steering as the car goes through its full suspension travel. note on the C5Z06 rear toe is about zero yet on an NSX it is huge at about 1/4"-3/16". The reason is you don't want rear steering as the suspension changes and you want to err on understeer of the chassis for safety. In the the C5 as the susoension changes the rear toe almost does not change at all therefore zero toe in the rear makes sense because suspension travel does not induce rear steering. In the NSX you need the large toe in the rear toavoid rear steering and the negative was quickly wearing tires in the rear.
damn those NSX's ! They are quick little devils!

Get notified of new replies

To Let's talk about toe.

Quick Reply: Let's talk about toe.