Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Brake pad variance

Search this Thread

Old 02-15-2011, 10:04 PM
back 40
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
St. Jude Donor '09

Default Brake pad variance

I switch from street pads to race pads several times a year. At first, I was **** about taking the pads off in order and placing them on the bench in that order and identifying which side of which rotor it came off of. Last time I changed pads, I just stacked each side, instead of laying them out in order. Well I noticed that the fronts are not all the same size. Question: Do I throw these(rather expensive ) pads away? Is there anything that can be done so as not to toss the pads? What the hell caused this?, are my pins possibly in need of grease?
Old 02-16-2011, 01:07 AM
bobmoore2
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by back 40
I switch from street pads to race pads several times a year. At first, I was **** about taking the pads off in order and placing them on the bench in that order and identifying which side of which rotor it came off of. Last time I changed pads, I just stacked each side, instead of laying them out in order. Well I noticed that the fronts are not all the same size. Question: Do I throw these(rather expensive ) pads away? Is there anything that can be done so as not to toss the pads? What the hell caused this?, are my pins possibly in need of grease?
I've noticed that the pads on the outer side of the rotor wear down a little faster than the ones on the inner side. I think the outer side gets and stays hotter. Or maybe it's because the caliper pistons are on the inner side... (Mine is a Z51 with 2 piston front calipers.)

I would put the thicker pads on the outer side to balance the wear and make the set of pads last a little longer.
Old 02-16-2011, 01:07 AM
Sidney004
Melting Slicks

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Your race pads are junk, just send them to me; I'll pay the postage. What kind are they? PFC 01's or DTC 70's?

When you say they are not the same size, do you mean the width(pad thickness?)
Old 02-16-2011, 08:16 AM
back 40
Drifting

St. Jude Donor '09

If you stack 3 padlets from one side of the rotor next to each other, each one is about 1/16 smaller than the next. It's like the caliper was pressing harder on one end.
Yes they are DTC 70's.
Old 02-16-2011, 08:55 AM
95jersey
Le Mans Master

When I use paddlets, I use to switch mine around constantly to maximize life (take ones from rear put on front, switch left to right). Wherever I saw a worn pad, I would switch it with a less worn pad. As long as they are all the same compound it doesn't matter where you change them. After 10 years of this, you stop doing many of the silly things that you read on this and other forums. I still love when I hear the guys who have 2 sets of rotors (one for race and one for street), that always cracks me up.
Old 02-16-2011, 09:22 AM
back 40
Drifting

St. Jude Donor '09

I guess if I can get them back in the order they were, I'll go ahead and use them up. Two years ago, I would just say screw it, and go buy a new set. I'll be putting the single pads on when I burn these up.
Old 02-16-2011, 10:30 AM
mfquinn
Pro

95jersey, why does that crack you up? I don't want to use my drilled non-directional Z51 rotors on the track with street pads. I also don't want to drive around town with my noisey and dusty DTC70s and my track rotors. So yes, I have a set of rotors for the track with my DTC70/60 pads and they I put on my HPS pads with my Z51 rotors for the street.

What is wrong with that?
Old 02-16-2011, 10:48 AM
back 40
Drifting

St. Jude Donor '09

Originally Posted by mfquinn
95jersey, why does that crack you up? I don't want to use my drilled non-directional Z51 rotors on the track with street pads. I also don't want to drive around town with my noisey and dusty DTC70s and my track rotors. So yes, I have a set of rotors for the track with my DTC70/60 pads and they I put on my HPS pads with my Z51 rotors for the street.

What is wrong with that?
Now that you mention that, that is a good idea. The DTC 70's are noisy and dusty, so I never run those on the street. However, I never thought to run diff rotors. That way, when I'm rushed for time, my race rotors will already be scuffed up and ready to roll. I have to take them off anyways when switching out pads to scuff them up and get that glaze off.
Old 02-16-2011, 12:50 PM
waddisme
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 45 Likes on 27 Posts

What is wrong with that?
Curious also. My XPs dust like crazy and would be even worse on my street d/s rotors. I would be OK with my track rotors for dd, but not the pads.
Old 02-16-2011, 01:39 PM
mfquinn
Pro

The reason I pull both off is that my track pads are bed in for my track rotors. So it is a quick change and I am ready for the track. No sanding, cleaning or re-bedding needed.
Old 02-16-2011, 03:00 PM
95jersey
Le Mans Master

Guys after about 10 laps of hard braking you wipe off all the old (street) pad material. Of course you don't run the race pads on the street, but there is no reason to change rotors. After several laps, the new material has transferred and you have wiped off any street pad residue.

Sorry, been there, done that, 10 years later I have learned what is just waste of time and more myth than fact. I can drive my car to the track on street pads, switch to race pads, outright win a time trial and switch back to street pads at the end of the day (that is what I use to do with my C5 before trailering) and drive home.
Old 02-16-2011, 03:07 PM
John Shiels
Team Owner

Location: Buy USA products! Check the label! Employ Americans
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

yea but the grooves don't match

I use to keep the rotors and pads in sequence before trailing the car. Plus ten laps is near an entire session some times. and if you have nothing better to do you are occupied
Old 02-16-2011, 03:32 PM
mfquinn
Pro

So are you doing autocross or HPDE events? I do not want to use OEM Z51 rotors for high speed track events. Whatever you are more comfortable with
Old 02-16-2011, 08:25 PM
back 40
Drifting

St. Jude Donor '09

HPDE, Autocross boors me.
Old 02-16-2011, 10:02 PM
CorvetteZ51Racer
Drifting

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by 95jersey
Guys after about 10 laps of hard braking you wipe off all the old (street) pad material. Of course you don't run the race pads on the street, but there is no reason to change rotors. After several laps, the new material has transferred and you have wiped off any street pad residue.

Sorry, been there, done that, 10 years later I have learned what is just waste of time and more myth than fact. I can drive my car to the track on street pads, switch to race pads, outright win a time trial and switch back to street pads at the end of the day (that is what I use to do with my C5 before trailering) and drive home.
While that may be true in terms of bedding in the pads and rotors, my track pads (and many out there) are very caustic to the finish on street wheels when the dust gets wet. The brake pad dust gets in the drilled holes on the rotors and transfers through and gets all over the street wheels while driving on the street. For those who are able to keep the car as a sunny-day-only-never-gets-wet street car, no biggie. I live in coastal Texas where the weather forecast 9 months out of the year is high of 95 with a 30% chance of rain. THAT is the reason I keep a second set of rotors for the track.
Old 02-16-2011, 10:56 PM
mfquinn
Pro

Same here in Florida with the weather. After a track weekend I pull the rotors to inspect them and check to see how deep and long the cracks are getting. I have them pulled anyway so what is the big deal.

95jersey, yes I agree with you that the old material will be wiped off after a few hard laps. And yes, you can just change the pads once you get to the track. You are correct. No different then changing the track pads to new ones while at the track. A few laps and you are good to go. But that was not my main reason for changing rotors. I don't want to do HPDE with the OEM drilled non-directional rotors. Yet I have them and they are fine for the street. So I chose to have a seperate set or rotors that are just used for the track with my track pads. I try not to keep these on for very long after a track weekend because they are destroying my wheels with the brake dust and they are noisey as hell. Since I am pulling them anyway to inspect them, it just doesn't seem like a big deal to me to switch them out. But you are correct that it is not a necessity.
Old 02-17-2011, 10:48 PM
back 40
Drifting

St. Jude Donor '09

So, nobody else has had this problem? No solutions?

Get notified of new replies

To Brake pad variance

Old 02-18-2011, 08:52 AM
AU N EGL
Team Owner

Received 24 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by back 40
If you stack 3 padlets from one side of the rotor next to each other, each one is about 1/16 smaller than the next. It's like the caliper was pressing harder on one end.
Yes they are DTC 70's.
Caliper spread ??
Old 02-18-2011, 08:54 AM
John Shiels
Team Owner

Location: Buy USA products! Check the label! Employ Americans
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by back 40 View Post
Yes they are DTC 70's.

Leading part of a pad wears first that is why they did padlets but it doesn't solve it completely. That is my guess.
Old 02-18-2011, 10:19 AM
Adam@Amp'dAutosport.com
Supporting Vendor

Received 492 Likes on 419 Posts
St. Jude Donor '11,'13

Same here in Florida with the weather. After a track weekend I pull the rotors to inspect them and check to see how deep and long the cracks are getting. I have them pulled anyway so what is the big deal.

95jersey, yes I agree with you that the old material will be wiped off after a few hard laps. And yes, you can just change the pads once you get to the track. You are correct. No different then changing the track pads to new ones while at the track. A few laps and you are good to go. But that was not my main reason for changing rotors. I don't want to do HPDE with the OEM drilled non-directional rotors. Yet I have them and they are fine for the street. So I chose to have a seperate set or rotors that are just used for the track with my track pads. I try not to keep these on for very long after a track weekend because they are destroying my wheels with the brake dust and they are noisey as hell. Since I am pulling them anyway to inspect them, it just doesn't seem like a big deal to me to switch them out. But you are correct that it is not a necessity.
Carbotech Performance Brakes, the world leader in Ceramic friction materials. It was over eight years ago that Carbotech started building brake pads out of Ceramic, Kevlar, and Carbon for street, autocross and racing applications. Carbotech is the only brake pad manufacturer in the world with a complete line of Ceramic compounds for street, autocross, and track use. Carbotech-Ceramic compounds are known for their unsurpassed release & modulation, while maintaining very consistent torque control characteristics. Carbotech brake pads are extremely rotor friendly and contain 100% non-corrosive brake dust, that’s something that has been unmatched by any other brake pad in the industry.

Quick Reply: Brake pad variance