Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

NASA/PDA Watkins Glen May 2-3 You know you want to go

Search this Thread

Old 02-16-2011, 11:16 AM
GettReal
Le Mans Master

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Default NASA/PDA Watkins Glen May 2-3 You know you want to go

Hey all, NASA/PDA has their annual May kick off event at the Glen and as usual I try to arrange for a bunch of the local Canadians to show up for the event. This year we have confirmed 15 cars will be going with 4 more people still pending, thats a really big group for us.

We have such an amazing time every year we go and have met so many great people, quite a few of you from here The cool thing about this is that out of the 15 people confirmed in our group - 13 are Corvettes.. everything from C4's, C5's and mainly C6Z's, and a couple fully prepped track cars coming. Can you believe I will be the ONLY C5, whats up with that??? I will be testing out the new AP Brakes, so super excited about that.

It would be great to meet more of you in person.

Sooooooo.... Who's going? Keith? Bill? Jose? Brad?
Old 02-16-2011, 12:00 PM
vms4evr
Melting Slicks

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Since you brought it up... ;-) I was thinking of going up there in early May, but not with NASA :-(

How is the weather that time of year? I can go May, June, or September. I'd like to do May simply because it fits my schedule better.
Old 02-16-2011, 01:21 PM
John Shiels
Team Owner

Location: Buy USA products! Check the label! Employ Americans
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by vms4evr
Since you brought it up... ;-) I was thinking of going up there in early May, but not with NASA :-(

How is the weather that time of year? I can go May, June, or September. I'd like to do May simply because it fits my schedule better.
cold in July
Old 02-16-2011, 04:41 PM
GettReal
Le Mans Master

high 50's-60's We actually have always found it to be really good weather.. the tires heat up after 1 lap you dont get too hot in the car and you never freeze. A couple times we had rain but typically never lasted more than a couple hours and only on one day.
Old 02-16-2011, 04:57 PM
John Shiels
Team Owner

Location: Buy USA products! Check the label! Employ Americans
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

with all the computer weather data you can search it all for the area and date. It will tell you temps and average rain falls.

Last time I was up their they said the had three days of summer and the guy was serious. Fairly cold up there even in the summer.
Old 02-16-2011, 09:37 PM
RacePro Engineering
Tech Contributor

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

I was thinking of going up there in early May, but not with NASA
How is the weather that time of year? I can go May, June, or September.
Honestly, EARLY May is the proverbial "craps shoot", as is LATE September. Of your three choices, June has the best chance of bright, sunny days. That having been said, we are shooting for testing the new car in early May - and keeping our fingers crossed!

Ed LoPresti
Old 02-16-2011, 11:59 PM
kmagvette
Burning Brakes

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

I will be there for Trackmasters 4/29->5/1. Steve, come down a few days early and shake the cold out of that beast

vmw4ever: I have been doing the May event for at least 5 years now. The weather is typically great...never any guarantees at Watkins Glen. Now, Pocono in April...you know it will be raining.

Last edited by kmagvette; 02-17-2011 at 12:02 AM.
Old 02-17-2011, 07:31 AM
Wicked Weasel
Team Owner

Received 297 Likes on 94 Posts
St. Jude Donor '05-'08

Originally Posted by John Shiels
with all the computer weather data you can search it all for the area and date. It will tell you temps and average rain falls.

Last time I was up their they said the had three days of summer and the guy was serious. Fairly cold up there even in the summer.
last few summers at WGI have been hot. 2 years ago there it was 90s and my car was not happy. This is also the same year we went in October and it snowed

June is usually nice.

Old 02-17-2011, 08:18 PM
vms4evr
Melting Slicks

Thanks guys.

I know I can search weather stats for an area and all. I find it much better to hear from the track rats how the track is on those dates. I can live with 50-60 just fine. I prefer it over 80-90. Cold mornings I expect. It looks like we're going to still stay with the plan for May.

If all goes well I might try and get back up there during the middle of the summer when it is just too damn hot down here.
Old 02-17-2011, 09:40 PM
Jim 47
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by GettReal
Hey all, NASA/PDA has their annual May kick off event at the Glen and as usual I try to arrange for a bunch of the local Canadians to show up for the event. This year we have confirmed 15 cars will be going with 4 more people still pending, thats a really big group for us.

We have such an amazing time every year we go and have met so many great people, quite a few of you from here The cool thing about this is that out of the 15 people confirmed in our group - 13 are Corvettes.. everything from C4's, C5's and mainly C6Z's, and a couple fully prepped track cars coming. Can you believe I will be the ONLY C5, whats up with that??? I will be testing out the new AP Brakes, so super excited about that.

It would be great to meet more of you in person.

Sooooooo.... Who's going? Keith? Bill? Jose? Brad?
Hi Steve:

It's great to hear that your group is coming down to WG again. I think that your first visit was in 2008, so it's the 4th trip to WG for some of you. I remember that C5 of yours is pretty quick.

I'll be there instructing as usual. I sold my C5 and now drive an Audi, but I'm still instructing for NASA/PDA and others, but I don't get my car on track much anymore. See you there.

Jim Helm
Old 02-17-2011, 10:03 PM
GettReal
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by Jim 47
Hi Steve:

It's great to hear that your group is coming down to WG again. I think that your first visit was in 2008, so it's the 4th trip to WG for some of you. I remember that C5 of yours is pretty quick.

I'll be there instructing as usual. I sold my C5 and now drive an Audi, but I'm still instructing for NASA/PDA and others, but I don't get my car on track much anymore. See you there.

Jim Helm
Hey Jim, always great to hear from you, and it will be Great to see you again. You have helped alot of us find the line and be safe which made for a super fun time so thank you for that. We will have a few people that will need some instruction so hopefully you will end up with one of the Canucks. You are a great instructor.

See you there

Steve
Old 02-17-2011, 10:31 PM
Bill Dearborn
Tech Contributor

Received 8,928 Likes on 5,333 Posts

I will be instructing there on 4/30 with Trackmasters, 5/2 with PDA/NASA, 5/6, 7, & 8 with the BMW Club, and 5/29 & 30 with Phoenix. The Ferrari Club is going to be there on 5/4 & 5 and another instructor is after me to instruct at their event as well but I think I have enough on my plate for that week already. I live 58 miles from the paddock and it takes me just over an hour to go back and forth so I commute from home. Saves money on food and lodging and I get to sleep in my own bed everynight.

Only guy I know living closer is Ed LoPresti. He lives just a couple of minutes from the track.

It can be a real crap shoot in May. I have been there when the temps were in the low 40s in the morning and in the mid 60s at noon. Have also been there when the temps were closer to 60 in the morning and in the 80s later in the day. Haven't been at the track when it snowed in May but I have pictures of the spring flowers in my yard that were taken on May 15th and there was an inch of snow on them.

August is usually the hot month. I have seen it in the mid 90s with high humidity at least one track day every August since I started going their in 92.

Bill
Old 02-18-2011, 12:43 AM
RacePro Engineering
Tech Contributor

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Bill Dearborn
I will be instructing there on 4/30 with Trackmasters, 5/2 with PDA/NASA, 5/6, 7, & 8 with the BMW Club, and 5/29 & 30 with Phoenix. The Ferrari Club is going to be there on 5/4 & 5 and another instructor is after me to instruct at their event as well . . . . . Bill
Bill - You had better stay at my place for the month. The conversation is dull, but the food is pretty good . . . .

With all of your travel, AND track, I'm going to buy stock in Sunoco!

Ed
Old 02-18-2011, 11:42 AM
TorontoC6
Racer

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by Bill Dearborn
I will be instructing there on 4/30 with Trackmasters, 5/2 with PDA/NASA...

Bill
Good to know that you will be instructing again this year. You provided great guidance to me last year.

I am coming down with the Canadian crew and look forward to driving the Glen again. Let's hope for no snow or rain....

Ed.
Old 02-20-2011, 05:46 PM
WYCKD 1
Melting Slicks

I've already started the count down!

lauri
Old 02-20-2011, 08:45 PM
Jim 47
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by GettReal
Hey Jim, always great to hear from you, and it will be Great to see you again. You have helped alot of us find the line and be safe which made for a super fun time so thank you for that. We will have a few people that will need some instruction so hopefully you will end up with one of the Canucks. You are a great instructor.

See you there

Steve
Thanks for the complement Steve. If any of your group would like me as an instructor, just ask for me at registration. We have a great group of instructors, so anyone who needs an instructor should be in good hands.

Jim Helm
Old 02-20-2011, 08:50 PM
Jim 47
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by WYCKD 1
I've already started the count down!

lauri
Great to hear that you'll be there Lauri. We all missed you last year when you were detoured from your intended trip to WG.

Jim Helm

Get notified of new replies

To NASA/PDA Watkins Glen May 2-3 You know you want to go

Old 02-20-2011, 10:11 PM
CDN_Wolf_eh
Le Mans Master

Received 13 Likes on 7 Posts

I can't wait for this track event! Should be a blast like last year!
Old 02-21-2011, 03:24 PM
Wicked Weasel
Team Owner

Received 297 Likes on 94 Posts
St. Jude Donor '05-'08

just remember to make sure your brakes are all taken care of. Dont want to end up like this

Old 02-21-2011, 03:38 PM
Bill Dearborn
Tech Contributor

Received 8,928 Likes on 5,333 Posts

Originally Posted by Wicked Weasel @ ECS
just remember to make sure your brakes are all taken care of. Dont want to end up like this

Now why would you want to make the Novices nervous? Very few brake failures like that one. Most are just a very long stopping distance that run you to the edge of the track. The brakes on my 86 with the stock 12 inch brake rotors and single piston caliper would lose a large part of their ability to slow the car after 3 laps. Thus, I could run hard for 3 laps then back out of the throttle going into the corner shown in the video and take 2 laps to get them back. I remember the first time I felt them go away. I was going into that turn and when I put my foot on the brake the pedal was hard but the car just wasn't slowing like it did before. I pulled on the steering wheel to get more leverage and the instructor started shouting, More Brake, More Brake, More Brake and I just said "Thats all there is." I did run out to the edge of the pavement before I could turn but did make it around the turn although I did bump over the turtles that used to be there.

That was 18 years ago and I haven't had a situation like that since.

Bill

Quick Reply: NASA/PDA Watkins Glen May 2-3 You know you want to go