Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Tips for wet conditions?

Search this Thread

Old 02-17-2011, 12:03 AM
sperkins
Le Mans Master

Received 44 Likes on 35 Posts

Default Tips for wet conditions?

Looking for some general knowledge when it comes to competing in the rain. I'm talking about really wet standing water conditions.

Do Hoosier wets ever really build any temperatures and does grip increase after a few laps?
What's the recommendation for cold tire temps?
Is it really worth it to disconnect both sway bars?
Is high speed hydroplaning a real concern? (I see some guys run 140mph at Rd Atl in the wet).

Sorry for the newbie questions. I haven't been there or done that.
Old 02-17-2011, 09:15 AM
Solofast
Melting Slicks

Received 85 Likes on 71 Posts

The fast line isn't likely the line you took when it was dry.

Look for the surface "grain". If you can see grain, drive there, that's where the grip is. If the surface is smooth, that's where it's going to be slick.. Makes for some funny lines, but to have some grip is better than slip..

Hoosier wets have a lot of tread depth and they do gain some heat and seem to work.

Motor gently through the greasemud, for there lurks the skid demon....
Old 02-17-2011, 10:14 AM
96CollectorSport
Melting Slicks

Location: If you don't weigh in you don't wrestle Road America
Received 73 Likes on 54 Posts

Try to follow Tim!!!
Old 02-17-2011, 11:42 AM
gkmccready
Safety Car

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

A soft set up is good for the rain, it helps slow things down -- meaning weight transfer, let the car roll some rather than putting all that force immediately on the contact patch. Inputs from the driver need to be slower -- not just throttle & brake, smooth `slow' steering. Going across standing water, or running `rivers' you will hydroplane... every lap will be different as folks run through it and splash it off to the side, or more rain falls and fills the dips further.

I love running in the rain. It'll show you who can find maximum grip and use it all without stepping all the way over the line...
Old 02-17-2011, 01:16 PM
varkwso
Le Mans Master

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by sperkins
Looking for some general knowledge when it comes to competing in the rain. I'm talking about really wet standing water conditions.

Do Hoosier wets ever really build any temperatures and does grip increase after a few laps?
What's the recommendation for cold tire temps?
Is it really worth it to disconnect both sway bars?
Is high speed hydroplaning a real concern? (I see some guys run 140mph at Rd Atl in the wet).

Sorry for the newbie questions. I haven't been there or done that.

#1 Yes - but track conditions change every lap or segment so it is tough to tell sometimes. If the line starts to dry keep them as wet as you can offline.

#2 Not flat like mine were in December

#3 I normally only do rear

#4 Yes. The puddles are killers - pick a line to avoid them or motor straight through. Narrow tires help "drive down" to the pavement.

Wets make a huge difference in grip.

Defrosters are as important...
Old 02-17-2011, 10:16 PM
sperkins
Le Mans Master

So what starting pressures is most common?
How much do they build over a 30-45 min race compared to DOT's?
Old 02-17-2011, 11:41 PM
Greywolfe
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

What makes you think its gonna rain at RA in March???????
Old 02-18-2011, 12:03 AM
sperkins
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by Greywolfe
What makes you think its gonna rain at RA in March???????

I just hope the torniders stay away.
Old 02-18-2011, 05:55 AM
Carolina C4 Racer
Pro

My tip....... Leave it on the trailer!
Old 02-18-2011, 09:37 AM
jaa1992
Le Mans Master

Location: Life is just one big track event. Everything before and after is prep and warm-up and cool-down laps GA
Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts
Cruise-In III Veteran
Cruise-In IV Veteran
St. Jude Donor '12

Just light rain, no tornaders - I'll put the street tires on for a session just to get a time.
Heavy rain - stays on trailer
tornaders - We're All Gonna Die
Old 02-18-2011, 10:50 AM
drivinhard
Racer
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

sticker Hoosier rains in the basement so bring it on
Old 02-18-2011, 11:46 AM
sperkins
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by drivinhard
sticker Hoosier rains in the basement so bring it on
Old 02-18-2011, 12:15 PM
Kubs
Le Mans Master

Received 1,725 Likes on 932 Posts
2023 C5 of the Year Finalist - Modified
2022 C5 of the Year Finalist - Modified
St. Jude Donor '09-'10-'11

I dont have any experience with Hoosier wets, but I have done some events in heavy rain. I ran street tires in the rain and started them at 38-40 psi. They dont build much pressure, and the higher pressure helps open the tread up a bit.
Old 02-18-2011, 01:02 PM
RDnomorecobra
Drifting

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

I only do HPDE and have been in the rain a few times, worst ever was last March at NJMP. Standing water everywhere ... only thing I can contribute here is how it forces you to take different lines. there were guys trying to take a normal line which goes straight through big puddles there - there were a lot of offs that day. taking it very very smooth and finding the limit was actually a lot of fun. and I did limit my top speed to about 100 on the straight that day. just not comfortable enough to try and brake from higher speed with that much water, especially after a c6z went off from the middle of the straight in the morning into the pit wall. I stayed on my street Firestone wide ovals vs. my 888's. The Firestone's werent bad that day - compared to how everyone else was sliding all over the place.
Old 02-18-2011, 05:49 PM
davidfarmer
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 709 Likes on 490 Posts

the best advice is to get out there and practice in the rain. Wet track is not a big deal, but smooth hands/feet are essential to keep the car pointed in the right direction. Some tracks you drive off-line as mentioned above, but that isn't always the case. Some tracks have sticky lines in the wet, whether it is due to mechanical or chemical surfacing..... Anyway, you have to find where the grip is and use it.

As for standing water, I normally just plow through it. We had a monsoon race at Lime Rock, and the driving was OK, it was the visibility that was impossible (not fogged windshield, just rain so dense you couldn't see at all). Keep the car/wheel straight through the rivers and pray

HOWEVER, I've had 2 instances where I was driving in the rain and hydroplaned off the track Bigtime. At VIR front straight, where the bend is (finish line), I literally "blinked" at a DE and ended up 200' off track spinning like a carnival ride. Still not sure what happened. Anyway, following another car helps clear the water, but hurts visibility.

Again, my advice is practice. Break your TT habits of turning 2-3 laps, and just go out and drive a few sessions.
Old 02-18-2011, 06:14 PM
Bill Dearborn
Tech Contributor

Received 8,918 Likes on 5,327 Posts

I usually run about a half car width off my dry line and then watch for puddles and streams and try to avoid them. At Watkins Glen the concrete patches can be a real nightmare when wet so I try to keep one set of tires on the asphalt thus the half car width. When they were first put in place back in the late 90s they were the place to run because the concrete had lots brush/broom lines in it that made it grippy. Now its worn and smooth.

Bill
Old 02-18-2011, 06:21 PM
sperkins
Le Mans Master

Thanks for the tips so far guys.
I guess I should have been more clear in my original post. I'm really looking for information on tires. I've run in the rain a good bit so I know the general guidelines, but that was all done on street tires. I've never run the Hoosier wets in full wet conditions so I wasn't sure if there was anything specific to using them. Tire pressures, not burning them up in semi-dry conditions etc.
Thanks again.

Get notified of new replies

To Tips for wet conditions?

Old 02-18-2011, 08:02 PM
72Vega
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thanks to the OP and for all of the responses from this HPDE 3/4 guy who is still learning!
Old 02-18-2011, 11:17 PM
Paul Schmidt
Racer

I really enjoy the rain. I've lost count on how many times I've been in heavy rain on the track. Here's a video from me in my C6 Z a few years ago. The Z is now my street car. Lots of days last year in the race car that were in the rain.

Just take it easy out there and you'll be fine.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=63USLppGyX8
Old 02-19-2011, 01:27 AM
96solo
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have Hoosier Rains for sale, if anyone would like some cheap! $400 for the set. 5/32 tread. Used once at AAA Speedway for 20 laps.

Now, Back to the discussion.

Quick Reply: Tips for wet conditions?