Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

ball joint help sought

Search this Thread

Old 02-24-2011, 07:31 PM
A-Z
Instructor

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Default ball joint help sought

Vehicle: '09 C6Z

Since I will have the control arms out to replace the bearings, I thought it would make sense to replace the ball joints at the same time.

I talked to Pfadt and they sell a front lower only, which is lash adjustable and (they claim) impervious to heat. (At one time they said they were going to come out with an upper, but Rob at Pfadt confirms that they have abandoned that effort to work on other projects.) Pfadt also contends that there is no need to replace the other ball joints -- only the front lowers because they are the ones exposed to heat. (Of course, this begs the question of why, when Pfadt released the lower, they said they were going to also offer a upper.)

In another thread, some posters touted the Moog ball joints as being a quality product at a lower price than the Pfadt. Some questions:

1. Is the Moog lash adjustable like the Pfadt?

2. Is the Moog any more resistant to heat than the OEM ball joint?

3. Rock Auto stocks the Moog front lowers only, part number K6537. Does Moog make a front upper and upper and lower rears and, if so, what are the part numbers? (The person I spoke to at RA did not know and was not helpful.)

4. What part of the ball joint is damaged by heat? Obviously, the boot can melt and expose the joint to dirt infiltration, but the Pfadt ball joint does not come with a boot. So what makes the Pfadt more resistant to heat damage?

5. Any other options/considerations for replacing the OEM ball joints? What am I missing here?

Thanks, Andy
Old 02-24-2011, 07:51 PM
RX-Ben
Safety Car

Received 14 Likes on 9 Posts

Put heat shields on the front and rear. You can get front kits from Quantum or bend up some aluminum.
Old 02-24-2011, 10:38 PM
trackboss
Melting Slicks

Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts

http://howeracing.com/p-7812-extreme...ll-joints.aspx
Old 02-25-2011, 08:01 AM
ajg1915
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08

Originally Posted by A-Z
Vehicle: '09 C6Z

Since I will have the control arms out to replace the bearings, I thought it would make sense to replace the ball joints at the same time.

I talked to Pfadt and they sell a front lower only, which is lash adjustable and (they claim) impervious to heat. (At one time they said they were going to come out with an upper, but Rob at Pfadt confirms that they have abandoned that effort to work on other projects.) Pfadt also contends that there is no need to replace the other ball joints -- only the front lowers because they are the ones exposed to heat. (Of course, this begs the question of why, when Pfadt released the lower, they said they were going to also offer a upper.)

In another thread, some posters touted the Moog ball joints as being a quality product at a lower price than the Pfadt. Some questions:

1. Is the Moog lash adjustable like the Pfadt?

2. Is the Moog any more resistant to heat than the OEM ball joint?

3. Rock Auto stocks the Moog front lowers only, part number K6537. Does Moog make a front upper and upper and lower rears and, if so, what are the part numbers? (The person I spoke to at RA did not know and was not helpful.)

4. What part of the ball joint is damaged by heat? Obviously, the boot can melt and expose the joint to dirt infiltration, but the Pfadt ball joint does not come with a boot. So what makes the Pfadt more resistant to heat damage?

5. Any other options/considerations for replacing the OEM ball joints? What am I missing here?

Thanks, Andy
- Spicer makes the upper.

- No, they do not have a lash adjustment.

- Typically the boot is damaged and the grease gets hot.

- The Pfadts as does the Moog's have grease fittings that allow you to add grease as needed.
Old 02-25-2011, 10:15 AM
John B
Pro
Pro Mechanic

Received 36 Likes on 28 Posts

What are you saying here? 1 of these fit?

Get notified of new replies

To ball joint help sought

Quick Reply: ball joint help sought