Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

MaxJax lift install

Search this Thread

Old 02-28-2011, 01:29 PM
VatorMan
Team Owner

Received 44 Likes on 27 Posts
CI 6-7-8 Veteran
St. Jude's Donor '06-'10-'11, '15

Default MaxJax lift install

I know several people that have had interest in these lifts. I finally jumpedi in with both feet and got one. Some of the high points of my install and test.

Lift in and working. Frikken Dannmar marked the wrong ports on the hydraulic distributor. I forgot how much I hated the smell of transmission fluid.

Had it delivered to the closest Yellow freight distributor-Fit perfect in the 8 ft. bed of my truck.

Unpacked.

Damn-I have too much **** in my garage.

Measure my largest car-The GS.

Stupid door opener !! I have to offset my install.

Got it.

I can even open the door !

Tools of the trade. I can't stress enough about how easy the drilling was. About a minute a hole. 4 inch concrete-Through like buttah.

First lift. Let me preface this by saying-Dannmar marked the wrong holes on the hydraulic distributor. It took me 4 hours to figure this out because I thought I did something wrong. Nope-those *****. Note the jackstands under the arms. I let it hang for an hour and then got on the arms and bounced. No deflection of the jack at all.

Topped up. 48 inches on the lift. Not enough dammit.

3 stage process. Lift car/place block under wheel/drop lift/put extension on jack/a 2X4 piece and a jacking puck.

Now I get 50 inches and plenty of room. Now for the MC. 850 lbs of Harley on one section.

Now the other.

I had bought a thicker tunnel plate for the car and put it on today. Was under the car tugging, pulling and wrenching. Felt very secure. I love this lift. It's perfect for my use. 2 other members of my racing club just bought theirs based on my install.
Old 02-28-2011, 02:15 PM
Bimota Guy
Burning Brakes

Received 20 Likes on 18 Posts

Wow...strong enough to lift a Harley!

Very cool setup for a normal height garage. How much was the lift?
Old 02-28-2011, 02:23 PM
VatorMan
Team Owner

CI 6-7-8 Veteran

Originally Posted by Bimota Guy
Wow...strong enough to lift a Harley!

Very cool setup for a normal height garage. How much was the lift?
$1800 through COSTCO. Free shipping.

BTW-If it can hold the Harley I knew I could trust it.
Old 02-28-2011, 02:49 PM
trapp
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Did you use pucks to lift on...if so could you get the lift arms low enough to swing under car on the pucks without any issues?

How far does it raise?
Old 02-28-2011, 02:53 PM
VatorMan
Team Owner

CI 6-7-8 Veteran

Originally Posted by trapp
Did you use pucks to lift on...if so could you get the lift arms low enough to swing under car on the pucks without any issues?

How far does it raise?
I always use pucks. The jack itself goes 48 inches. Using the provided extensions and pieces of 2X4 I can get 50 inches-perfect to roll around under on a stool. I still have a bit of room I can go higher if needed. I lowered my car so I needed 2X4's under my front tires to get a puck on the pad.
Old 02-28-2011, 05:37 PM
trapp
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by VatorMan
I always use pucks. The jack itself goes 48 inches. Using the provided extensions and pieces of 2X4 I can get 50 inches-perfect to roll around under on a stool. I still have a bit of room I can go higher if needed. I lowered my car so I needed 2X4's under my front tires to get a puck on the pad.
Do you think with a stock suspension (not-lowered) it would swing under the car without having to drive up on 2x4's?

btw thanks for the info

trapp
Old 02-28-2011, 06:21 PM
VatorMan
Team Owner

CI 6-7-8 Veteran

Do you think with a stock suspension (not-lowered) it would swing under the car without having to drive up on 2x4's?

btw thanks for the info

trapp
I BELIEVE so. I can measure to the top of the pad and let you know.
Old 03-01-2011, 06:49 AM
talon95
Pro

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

btw thanks for the info

trapp
You can if you don't use the big pads. Just use pucks and the bare arms. I think the manual recommends against that, but seems to work fine. I've seen other people do this also. Of course it reduces the total lift height a little more.

What I've found for working under the car, it's almost easier to use an adjustable back creeper like this and use the first (lower) position on the lift.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000I1FMA4

OTOH, full lift height is almost perfect for working on the suspension etc.. while standing.

Dave G.
Old 03-01-2011, 10:08 AM
aggie_corvette
Racer

Are you able to raise the car even?
I've heard issues with the two sides not coming up at an even rate b/c it doesn't have some kind of side-to-side balancer.
Old 03-01-2011, 01:06 PM
mad1stgen
4th Gear

I am really curious as to why you are not load balancing the car ? The arms should be extend approx. the same amount on both sides. You putting more stress on the pass side column.
Also, if the opener is in your way, you can mount it offset. It doesn't have to be in the center, the spring is lifting the door anyway, the opener just helps out
Old 03-02-2011, 06:47 AM
talon95
Pro

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by aggie_corvette
Are you able to raise the car even?
I've heard issues with the two sides not coming up at an even rate b/c it doesn't have some kind of side-to-side balancer.
Mine works fine. Sometimes I see a small difference (approx 1"), but nothing that's a problem. You drop the cylinders on to the safety bars anyway, so a small difference doesn't matter.

It is important to get it bled really well and follow the set up instructions though. I had to re-bleed it a couple of times to get it to lift evenly.

The most important installation point of this lift is proper anchor installation obviously since the floor anchors take all the load.

Dave G.
Old 03-02-2011, 07:25 AM
VatorMan
Team Owner

CI 6-7-8 Veteran

Originally Posted by talon95
Mine works fine. Sometimes I see a small difference (approx 1"), but nothing that's a problem. You drop the cylinders on to the safety bars anyway, so a small difference doesn't matter.

It is important to get it bled really well and follow the set up instructions though. I had to re-bleed it a couple of times to get it to lift evenly.

The most important installation point of this lift is proper anchor installation obviously since the floor anchors take all the load.

Dave G.
This.

Get notified of new replies

To MaxJax lift install

Quick Reply: MaxJax lift install