Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

???? about a ROAD RACING PREPPED STOCK LT-1/LT-4 CRANK.

Search this Thread

Old 03-01-2011, 11:54 AM
6SSPD
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default ???? about a ROAD RACING PREPPED STOCK LT-1/LT-4 CRANK.

Hey Gents, will a well prepared and professionally balanced LT-1 or LT-4 Crankshaft be sufficeint for a ROAD RACING 355 with 6.125" rods H-beams, and SRP pistons? This engine will also have an ACCU-SUMP 3Qt system, and a CHAMPS 8Qt. ROAD RACING Oilpan. It will see 3k-6k rpm modulations, and some 7k sustained WOT stints. I know the stock crank is strong and has been used to make some very respectable RWHP #. I just wonder how many have used it for such an application? I just want a good sanity/feasibility check. I'm aware that many will suggest a new 4340 forged crank, which is fine, but if I don't ABSOLUTELY need it, I don't want to get it, when the money is better spent on the AI heads and AI Solid roller cam setup. Thanks everyone.

ALL RESPONSES ARE WELCOMED

BTW, I already have the rods and pistons and L-98 SPLAYED block, and crank so that is why I don't want to buy a FORGED CRANKSHAFT .

Last edited by 6SSPD; 03-01-2011 at 11:55 AM. Reason: Left something out
Old 03-01-2011, 12:09 PM
Kubs
Le Mans Master

Received 1,753 Likes on 941 Posts
2023 C5 of the Year Finalist - Modified
2022 C5 of the Year Finalist - Modified
St. Jude Donor '09-'10-'11

I will answer this the best I can. It should be fine for mild 400-450 HP builds, but I would not spin it to sustained 7K RPM. If you can afford to buy a forged crank I would.

That being said, I personally am building an engine using the stock L98 crank because I cannot afford a forged crank. My engine will also no see more than 6500 RPM and I only plan to make 400 crank HP.
Old 03-01-2011, 01:01 PM
6SSPD
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks Kubs, I appreciate your reply
Old 03-02-2011, 01:49 PM
ScaryFast
Safety Car

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

Have you priced forged cranks? They're not too bad. I think my Eagle lightweight (8 lbs off stock) forged piece was less than $1000 but I'd have to dig up the receipt.

That said, I wouldn't worry about a stock crank, either. I ran a stock 2 bolt bottom end from a B body LT1 (cop car) with a strong top end (made close to 400 RWHP). I had no issues until I overheated the oil and spun a rod bearing.

I'd agree with Kub's assessment, 400 - 450 Crank HP is probably as high as I'd go, though.

Get notified of new replies

To ???? about a ROAD RACING PREPPED STOCK LT-1/LT-4 CRANK.

Quick Reply: ???? about a ROAD RACING PREPPED STOCK LT-1/LT-4 CRANK.