Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Brake Cooling

Search this Thread

Old 03-02-2011, 12:26 PM
JohnAlley
Pro

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

Default Brake Cooling

I am just getting into the whole track thing with my 2004 Z06. Will start out doing HPDE's with NASA-Midwest and hopefuuly move up to TT. I am a real novice wrenching on the car. My questions is. If I want to install Quantam brake ducting on the front what all has to come off to do the install. Does the part mount behind the rotor or does add'l parts need to come off the car?
Old 03-02-2011, 01:17 PM
travisnd
Safety Car

Received 18 Likes on 10 Posts

I prefer the ECS spindle-duct kit. It's a cleaner design that installs better IMO.
Old 03-02-2011, 01:25 PM
Rob Willis
Safety Car

Received 121 Likes on 63 Posts

Originally Posted by JohnAlley
I am just getting into the whole track thing with my 2004 Z06. Will start out doing HPDE's with NASA-Midwest and hopefuuly move up to TT. I am a real novice wrenching on the car. My questions is. If I want to install Quantam brake ducting on the front what all has to come off to do the install. Does the part mount behind the rotor or does add'l parts need to come off the car?
The kit from them I had (universal one I think), didn't require removal of anything other then the tire and 2 of the 3 hub bolts (the 2 you can access).

Good kit IMHO.
Old 03-02-2011, 01:38 PM
ssdeuce
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have the Quantam kit on my 04 Z and best I can remember is the only thing that needs to be done is a small tab of metal has the be taken off that holds the ABS sensor wire to the spindle. Use a dremel tool for that. I also used the DRM brake ducts and you have to cutout some of the plastic that goes to the stock brake ducts to make room. Quantam has good instructions and you can call to talk to someone.
Old 03-02-2011, 01:41 PM
VTME13
Instructor

I have the Quantum kit, too. I thought it was very easy to install and the instructions were straight forward.
Old 03-02-2011, 06:06 PM
uberC5
Racer

You will need a set of ducts to get from your bumper ducts to the Quantum hose. DRM sells a pricey kit, but it is supposed to bolt right up. I bought a set of C6Z front brake ducts that I am going to modify slightly and do the same job(Very affordable if you have time and a Dremel). I will be doing the install of the Quantum Race kit with my modified C6Z ducts the week of Mar15-20.
Old 03-03-2011, 02:46 PM
RDnomorecobra
Drifting

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by Rob Willis
The kit from them I had (universal one I think), didn't require removal of anything other then the tire and 2 of the 3 hub bolts (the 2 you can access).

Good kit IMHO.
I thought you have to at least remove the rotor, no?
Old 03-03-2011, 03:05 PM
VTME13
Instructor

Originally Posted by uberC5
You will need a set of ducts to get from your bumper ducts to the Quantum hose. DRM sells a pricey kit, but it is supposed to bolt right up. I bought a set of C6Z front brake ducts that I am going to modify slightly and do the same job(Very affordable if you have time and a Dremel). I will be doing the install of the Quantum Race kit with my modified C6Z ducts the week of Mar15-20.
Yep. Forgot about the ducting... I used the C6Z ducts as well.

Didn't have the patience for mating it up to the C5Z ducts. So, I pulled the stockers out and just stuck the C6Z round O.D. end through the fender liner and left it open inside the pressurized "box" fed by the bumper opening.

Seems to work well enough. However, I ruined my stock C5Z ducts... I would recommend taking the time to make it nice.
Old 03-03-2011, 03:22 PM
DOUG @ ECS
Premium Supporting Vendor

Location: Providing the most proven supercharger kits for your C5/6/7 609-752-0321
Received 1,084 Likes on 656 Posts

Originally Posted by travisnd
I prefer the ECS spindle-duct kit. It's a cleaner design that installs better IMO.

Thanks for the referral, we have them in stock ready to ship for anyone interested. We were the first company to come to the Vette market with an enclosed rotor design, forcing all the air threw the veins of the rotor, using all of the open available room possible for the airflow.
Our design does not require any additional hardware, and being aluminum keeps the weight down as much as possible. That is splitting hairs, but weight is weight, especially unsprung weight.
The install is also very easy and straight forward.

http://www.eastcoastsupercharging.co...uct%20Kit.html

Old 03-03-2011, 03:44 PM
67Ranger
Racer

Received 25 Likes on 19 Posts

I just put the quantum ducts on my car using C6 ducts and some brake duct hose I got off of ebay. Honestly, I wasnt impressed with the service or the kit. I called and PMed a few times and never got a response, I wasnt real happy that their site doesnt say anything about having to spend another $200 on DRM ducts if you want to put it on a C5, and the instructions we alright, but their diagram was wrong on at least one part, maybe two (depending on if they wanted you to move a piece or cut it. The install was fairly easy though, once I figured out how to modify the C5 and C6 ducts to make them work together.
Old 03-03-2011, 06:12 PM
travisnd
Safety Car

Received 18 Likes on 10 Posts

IMO do it once and do it right... for a C5 that means DRM extensions and the ECS spindle ducts. It's the cleanest and most effective setup. No need ot try and fine hose adapters etc. because the DRM duct output hole diameter is the same as the diameter on the ECS duct.
Old 03-03-2011, 08:09 PM
Bill Dearborn
Tech Contributor

Received 8,926 Likes on 5,332 Posts

There was one thing I did find I had to do with the DRM duct extensions. After a couple of seasons of the flexible ducts pulling on them and the wheel hitting the flexible duct and then my tightening the strap the ends of the DRM ducts started collapsing. I can't remember the exact size right now but I went to Home Depot and bought some plastic pipe fittings that had one end that would just fit inside the DRM ends. Then I trimmed their length and used pipe glue to mold them inside the DRM duct. It worked out great. That plastic plumbing is tough and I was able to tighten the flexible ducts tight enough that they wouldn't pull off that end.

Bill
Old 03-03-2011, 10:13 PM
John Shiels
Team Owner

Location: Buy USA products! Check the label! Employ Americans
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

I had the air blow back into the DRM duct when parked after a hot session from the hot hot rotor. The first half of the DRM duct totally collapsed Make sure you do a cool down drive in the pits or on track.

Get notified of new replies

To Brake Cooling

Quick Reply: Brake Cooling