Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Bushing Upgrade Advice

Search this Thread

Old 03-02-2011, 05:18 PM
RogerT
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Bushing Upgrade Advice

I'm ready for a suspension and sway bar bushing upgrade to polyurethane. What is the consenses of opinion of those of you who have done this? I'm interested in brands and sources.
Thanks for your imput.

Roger T : )
Old 03-02-2011, 06:28 PM
John Shiels
Team Owner

Location: Buy USA products! Check the label! Employ Americans
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Vette Brakes Products. They work great and it gives the car a very nice tracking feel on the banking and corners. Bit of work involved to do them all. about a day.
Old 03-02-2011, 06:58 PM
c4cruiser
Team Owner

Received 475 Likes on 422 Posts
NCM Sinkhole Donor

I used Energy Suspension poly bushing for the swaybars on my 87. Got them from Summit Racing. Summit has kits for the entire car or just the sway bars.

Get the black colored bushings; these are impregnated with graphite so you don't have to keep re-greasing them like the red ones.

Suspension bushings will take some work to do as it does require dismantling the suspension. Be careful with the springs as they are under tension even with the wheels off the ground. You will need an alignment once you are finished. You will need access to a press to make things easier when installing the new bushings, Also get a couple extra tubes of the grease for the bushings. Doesn't hurt to freely use the grease.
Old 03-02-2011, 07:48 PM
gmccreary
Drifting

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Pfadt Poly bushings

http://www.pfadtracing.com/catalog/p...products_id/43
Old 03-02-2011, 07:49 PM
John Shiels
Team Owner

Location: Buy USA products! Check the label! Employ Americans
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by gmccreary
looks like a nice kit.
Old 03-02-2011, 08:38 PM
travisnd
Safety Car

Received 18 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by gmccreary
I've installed both VB&P and the latest Pfadt kit. I have to say the Pfadt kit is a bit nicer.

I would never put polys on a street car as they stiffen up the ride and they all eventually creak. Even with the right tools (a large press) it's a bunch of work to do it all.

Takes me a good 9-11 hours of work overall assuming I don't hit any major snags like fighting an older car that's never been apart. Most shops charge $800+ install time and they're probably undercutting themselves a bit.
Old 03-02-2011, 08:58 PM
argonaut
Burning Brakes

Received 46 Likes on 36 Posts

+1 on the Pfadt bushing kit, working well for me.
Old 03-02-2011, 09:03 PM
RAREBLU1
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Just got my pfadt kit today, going to install this weekend. VB&P were on backorder something about getting bad poly from suppliers.
Old 03-02-2011, 09:11 PM
Z06cool
Drifting

Originally Posted by RAREBLU1
Just got my pfadt kit today, going to install this weekend. VB&P were on backorder something about getting bad poly from suppliers.
Been on backorder for like 6 weeks now...
Old 03-02-2011, 10:08 PM
TGiuliante
Racer

do the bushing really change the feel of the car noticibly? I just dropped my car at Phoenix and they make their own Delrin busings. I am curious what this change will really "feel" like.
Old 03-02-2011, 11:15 PM
0RAAMaudio
Former Vendor

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Edited to make it more to the point.

Poly bushings are a great upgrade but take the time to install Zerts at the same time, it might take another hour or two but then you can lube them in minutes instead of hours.

My bushings started squeaking badly at just 1k miles. At least 8 hours of my very valuable time was spent pulling them back apart, cleaning that goo out they come with, installing the zerts, lubing it up and fixing the issue.

I drilled through the bushing and used a dremel to cut a grove into the bushing so when I lube them it can flow all around the inserts.

------------------

When I unbolted the upper front control arms I had to put a screwdriver into the insert to have enough leverage to turn them and they were very hard to remove. There was evidence of what appeared to be a friction caused breakdown of the surface of the bushing, just starting but there.

Once I cleaned them up, prelubed with the marine grade grease, slid them in practically by hand, I could turn them with with just my finger and thumb.

---------------------
While at it I also added them to the sway bars and rechecked to ensure just the right amount of spacers so they were not being pinched by the bushings, then need to move very freely to work right. I also added them to the lower rear coilover bushings.

----------

No more noise, rides better, certainly will handle better and I can lube them all in minutes instead of hours of hard labor.

So far Marine grade grease seems to be doing very well

----------

I also recommend the DRM steering rack bushing, a bit of effort to install but well worth it.

Rick

Last edited by RAAMaudio; 03-03-2011 at 09:55 AM.
Old 03-02-2011, 11:29 PM
racerwannabe
Pro

St. Jude Donor '06

Originally Posted by TGiuliante
do the bushing really change the feel of the car noticibly? I just dropped my car at Phoenix and they make their own Delrin busings. I am curious what this change will really "feel" like.
you can tell when your driving hard...more solid......I have mono ***** now,,

johnny
Old 03-02-2011, 11:34 PM
0RAAMaudio
Former Vendor

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Delrin would be much better than Poly but more harshness possibly transmitted into the chassis, could be significant, maybe somebody had done this to a street/track car and can chime in???

Mono ball is best but more of a race only application, might not be to much fun on the street but again, anyone want to post their findings?

Rick
Old 03-02-2011, 11:57 PM
dvandentop
Race Director

Received 583 Likes on 242 Posts

love my vbp bushings.

got a great deal on them new from vbp when they had a sale
Old 03-03-2011, 01:04 AM
mgarfias
Drifting

Received 30 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by TGiuliante
Can you post some info about the delrin setup they make?
Old 03-03-2011, 11:24 AM
Pfadt Racing
Safety Car

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

These bushings take a while to install, but are well worth the effort. A little less compliance in the system really does inspire more confidence while trying to hit your apex, or launching the car hard. While there is a small increase in Noise/Vibration/Harshness because you've effectively firmed up those mounting points, we've specifically chosen a material that will not squeek or become a maintenance item in the future. Provided with the kit is a lubricant that will reduce friction within the bearing, prevents squeeks, and working in conjunction with the polyurethane allows the suspension to move more freely than the stock rubber bushings. One thing that sets the Pfadt kit apart from poly kits for other vehicles is we really researched which lubricant will eliminate squeeks which will eventually drive a street driver mad.

If you've got any questions please feel free to contact us!
Old 03-03-2011, 05:13 PM
NV MY C5
Drifting

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Cruise-In V Veteran

Originally Posted by racerwannabe
you can tell when your driving hard...more solid......I have mono ***** now,,

johnny
TMI Johnny!
Old 03-03-2011, 10:57 PM
RogerT
Pro

Default Response

Thank you to everyone who responded to my request for advice.

Roger T : )

Get notified of new replies

To Bushing Upgrade Advice

Quick Reply: Bushing Upgrade Advice