Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Sparco Evo XL and C5 - Help

Old 03-03-2011, 07:41 PM
Greywolfe
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Sparco Evo XL and C5 - Help

I am trying to install a Sparco EVO XL (the wide version +2.5 inches) in my C5Z and its been a major PITA so far.

I have the hardbar seat rails also with all kinds of spacers. Now I think I'm going to have to raise the front of the seat and will need to have some kind of spacer blocks that will screw onto the hardbar adapters so the seat will clear the door sill.

Has anyone had success installing this seat in a C5?

Also with the hardbar rails do you need to remove the carpet?

I think it will be easier to just lose 30 pounds and get an EVO2. (I'm 6 ft, 290 lbs. yikes!)

Thanks,

Mike
Old 03-03-2011, 07:59 PM
Bill Dearborn
Tech Contributor

Received 8,911 Likes on 5,325 Posts

I didn't take out the carpet in my C5Z. The power seat harness will cause a little bit of an issue with the outside seat rail not sitting flat on the floor but I just tightened things down and the rails worked well. Depending on how far you have the rails spread apart to fit the seat you could have some fitment issues if the rails get spread too far apart. Where are you planning on attaching the lap belts? I attached them to the rear of the Hardbar rails but did have a problem with the outside bar when the lap belts hit the OEM lap belt cover which is part of the door sill cover.

I had a 17 inch Ultrashield Aluminum seat on the rails and had it sitting on the top of the rail in the rear with the front raised an inch or two. With the uprights on the outside of the rails and the lap belts mounted to the inside of the rails I just cleared that OEM outer seat belt cover.

Bill
Old 03-03-2011, 08:21 PM
Greywolfe
Racer

Bill,

I plan on mounting the lap belts to the hardbar rails also. I had to remove the stock 3 point belt to have enough room for the seat to fit. I am using aluminum block spacers (about an inch thick) between the seat rails and the two upright plates that bolt to the seat. Mounting to the outside of the rails.

Its a tight fit for sure. I may have to go with an aluminum seat (18" in my case) but I got a good deal on the Sparco seat and thought it would fit.

Thanks,

Mike
Old 03-03-2011, 08:22 PM
MYRX
Instructor

You and I spent some time talking at the NASA June Jam, Rd. Atl last year. I bet you could fit in the Sparco Evo 2 that I have in my C5. I was thinking that you sat in my car at that time.

Yes, it was a tight fit installing the EVO 2 and I had to cut/knotch the plastic piller where the OEM seat belt retracter was. I left the carpet in the car when installing the rails. The edge of seat near the shoulder almost hits the door when closed. Less than 1/16" clearance.

Since installing the EVO 2, I have lost weight. I will make you a great deal on a EVO 2 that is 2 years old. I now want a Spaco Evo. Will you be at Rd. Atl in two weeks, with NASA? If so, look me up and try out the seat and set-up. I have a hardbar with extenders and a 6 point harness. I do believe this set-up would work well for you.
Old 03-03-2011, 08:49 PM
Greywolfe
Racer

Myrx,

Yes I will be at Road Atlanta for the upcoming NASA event. I will be working the grid but will have time in the mornings before the first session starts or after the last session of the day to find you.

I'll look for your car in the paddock. At least this is a good motiviation for me to lose some weight!

Thanks,

Mike
Old 03-03-2011, 09:16 PM
MYRX
Instructor

I am in HPDE 3. Number 10, (orange numbers) on an Electron Blue Z06. See you then.
Old 03-04-2011, 08:03 AM
C5ZEE06
Drifting

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

I couldn't figure out how to get my Evo 2 Plus low enough in my C5Z using the hardbar..so i ended up using sparco side and floor mounts.

Last edited by C5ZEE06; 03-04-2011 at 08:12 AM.
Old 03-04-2011, 08:05 AM
C5ZEE06
Drifting

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by Greywolfe

I think it will be easier to just lose 30 pounds and get an EVO2. (I'm 6 ft, 290 lbs. yikes!)

Thanks,

Mike
Isn't an the EVO XL and the EVO 2 the same thing ?
Old 03-04-2011, 12:31 PM
PA Z06
Safety Car

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

I have evo2's in my c5 z06, and passenger is on hardbars and drivers is on a slider. I did remove the factory belts. Let me know if you need install pics I have them.
Old 03-04-2011, 12:32 PM
Greywolfe
Racer

Originally Posted by C5ZEE06
Isn't an the EVO XL and the EVO 2 the same thing ?
No. It goes like this:

EVO (standard size)
EVO L / EVO 2 (+1.25 inches wider than EVO)
EVO XL / EVO 3 (+2.5 inches wider than EVO)
Old 03-04-2011, 04:54 PM
racer313g
Instructor

Fitting the EVO 2 and retaining the stock seat belts was a challenge. I manufactured my own seat brackets. Started with
3x2 aluminum angle, 1 inched extension nuts, 1 inch aluminum spacers, and aluminum plate. Ended up with this:

Old 03-18-2011, 06:06 PM
rgg16g
Racer

To make more room for the seat is it possible to relocate the seat belt retractor? OK, anything is possible with enough work and dollars, but has anyone looked into this?
Old 03-18-2011, 06:32 PM
John Shiels
Team Owner

Location: Buy USA products! Check the label! Employ Americans
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Evo 2 does not fit properly in my opinion never mind a bigger one. I spent a whole day screwing with it years ago. I was so mad I skiiped my Easter dinner and went to bed. Needly to say the honey was real PO'ed. The seat will always bang against the door panel. 18" kirkey would be a better fit for you and easy to install but it is a different type seat more friendly to track than the street.

Last edited by John Shiels; 03-18-2011 at 06:35 PM.
Old 03-19-2011, 01:55 PM
racer313g
Instructor

The EVO 2 will fit, but a lot of it depends on where you need the seat. If I had to slide or rotate forward any more it may not have fit. There would be no way to fit the EVO XL without removing the stock belts, and even then, I'm not sure it would fit at the shoulders. Moving the stock belt could be done, but not easily, since it has a nut in the chassis and sits in three slots cut in the chassis. Here are pics of my finished product. I am going to remove the hex bolt in the side of the seat and replace it with a button head. That'll just give my harness a little more room to fit up through there.

Old 01-05-2012, 07:29 PM
JeremyGSU
Drifting

Received 32 Likes on 28 Posts

How do you run the harnesses up the side with that setup? It doesn't look like it would have any room.

Originally Posted by racer313g
The EVO 2 will fit, but a lot of it depends on where you need the seat. If I had to slide or rotate forward any more it may not have fit. There would be no way to fit the EVO XL without removing the stock belts, and even then, I'm not sure it would fit at the shoulders. Moving the stock belt could be done, but not easily, since it has a nut in the chassis and sits in three slots cut in the chassis. Here are pics of my finished product. I am going to remove the hex bolt in the side of the seat and replace it with a button head. That'll just give my harness a little more room to fit up through there.

Old 01-05-2012, 09:40 PM
racer313g
Instructor

There is just enough room to get the harness through.
Old 01-06-2012, 02:33 AM
yooper
Racer
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Old 01-06-2012, 09:45 AM
opel
Burning Brakes

Received 71 Likes on 54 Posts

racer313g, I'll be putting an EVO2 in my FRC and need to retain my stock belts as well. I would love to have detailed plans/dimensions of your seat brackets.
Thanks,
Dave

Get notified of new replies

To Sparco Evo XL and C5 - Help

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Sparco Evo XL and C5 - Help