Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Autopower 4-point Roll Bar install C5 Z06 Pics

Search this Thread

Old 03-04-2011, 08:54 AM
MR Turco
Pro

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Default Autopower 4-point Roll Bar install C5 Z06 Pics

Given install pics are so hard to find for this thing i figured i'd post mine. I finally got it the other day and me and my welding buddy got it in last night. Wasn't bad, took 4 hours and that included some dicking around and eating dinner. I did have the car already on stands and the interior gutted.

Anyway here they are. Hopefully they can bring some help to someone.

As mentioned i got the car prepped but putting it on jack stands and gutting the interior carpeting and panels. You can also drop the gas tank saddle aluminum covers at any point before welding to drop the gas tanks enough to create an air gap for when you weld to the bulkhead. I also shoved some wet rags above the tanks to take any sparks that came out.

Bulkhead ready to go

Cage mocked up. The bar does clip the end of the raised area. We cut it from front to back and knocked it down to get it flush with the base. You will see in a later pic

Here is where you cut the body to hit the frame

We originally cut the body too small, you need a 1/4" around the plate to weld

You can see the line marks, make sure the area is flat and remove the seam sealer. It came off pretty easy then we hit the area with a grinder

One last mock up to ensure everything is lined up, and then tack the mounting plates

Make sure to take your time welding the bulkhead since it is close to the gas tank

Remove the cage and finish welding.

Cage is now going to paint. Will be color matched to the car. More pics to come with final product.

When done, hit the area with some paint.

*** UPDATED 4/17 ****
So i finally finished painting, wetsanding and polishing the bar and got it installed tonight. Here are some updated pics:

How i cut the front carpet:

How i cut the rear:

Final product:

Last edited by MR Turco; 04-17-2011 at 09:28 PM.
Old 03-04-2011, 09:33 AM
travisnd
Safety Car

Received 18 Likes on 10 Posts

Looks like you guys did a nice job, but it's my understanding that rear "bulkhead" is just flimsy metal and not hard steel like the frame rails. Most people tie the main hoop into the main rails at the floor behind the seats, or they pull the fuel tanks and punch through that bulkhead down into the frame rails there.
Old 03-04-2011, 09:35 AM
MR Turco
Pro

yeah its not as sturdy as i would have hoped. Still better protection that a harness bar. If i even truly decide to make the car into a "track only" car i would rip this out and so something proper.
Old 03-04-2011, 11:25 AM
C5ZEE06
Drifting

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

These shots should be very helpful for those tackling this install. Thanks for posting !
Old 03-04-2011, 09:32 PM
2_60b4u
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

You are the man! This is EXACTLY what I've been looking for. Is this one their "STREET-SPORT ROLL BAR"? Can you order these bars with different options? I'm looking for the EXACT bar shown in the picture. I need the crossbar to bump back like that so I have room for my Sparcos.

Old 03-04-2011, 09:36 PM
MR Turco
Pro

Talk to ken at I/O port racing. He had the best prices on auto power bars. Tell him I sent you
Old 04-17-2011, 09:28 PM
MR Turco
Pro

Bump! Updated with final pics
Old 04-17-2011, 09:38 PM
C5ZEE06
Drifting

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by MR Turco
Bump! Updated with final pics
really nice job !
Old 06-29-2011, 10:21 PM
Vicz06
Heel & Toe

Default Thank you!

My welding buddy and I will be doing the same in a couple weeks. Thank you very much for taking time to post the pices, it answers allot of questions I had about doing this. You would think Autopower would post something like this on there site!
Old 06-30-2011, 08:08 AM
davidfarmer
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 709 Likes on 490 Posts

nice install of a not-so-good product. Better than a harness bar for holding harnesses maybe, but not good for rollover. Also, it blocks rear visibility.
Old 06-30-2011, 01:33 PM
MR Turco
Pro

Originally Posted by davidfarmer
nice install of a not-so-good product. Better than a harness bar for holding harnesses maybe, but not good for rollover. Also, it blocks rear visibility.
In hindsight i prolly would have went with a different direction but it is better than a harness bar. If the car ever becomes a true track car it will get a full cage anyway.
Old 06-30-2011, 02:42 PM
ccj
Racer

From my understanding no-one has posted pictures of how the autopower roll bar and more specifically that rear bulk head held up (or didn't) in an actual roll over. The GM engineers comment that the bulkhead is not the best attachment point, but that is all I have seen/heard them comment on.

Do you have additional information?
Old 06-30-2011, 07:22 PM
Vicz06
Heel & Toe

DavidFarmer, I suspect you are referring to the bulkhead mount compared to a floor mount option http://www.wolferacecraft.com/ ? My local speed shop told me not to bother with anything more than a harness bar, because it’s not possible to mount the front points of a 4 point to the c5 frame. I’m wearing a HANS for track days, and want to do the best I can to protect a rollover. Are you suggesting a floor mount with plates is a better option than the AutoPower bulkhead Mount? I’ve drilled a couple holes in the floor for submarine harness hooks, and it was very obvious the floor is nothing more than sheet metal and balsa wood. Regarding the visability, I try not to drive out of my rear view mirror, and don't think there will be any obstruction via the side mirrors, so I don't think it's a concern. What do you suggest for a safer option? I've not taken delivery of the AutoPower, so there is time... Thank you. Vic
Old 07-06-2011, 02:49 PM
ccj
Racer

Originally Posted by ccj
From my understanding no-one has posted pictures of how the autopower roll bar and more specifically that rear bulk head held up (or didn't) in an actual roll over. The GM engineers comment that the bulkhead is not the best attachment point, but that is all I have seen/heard them comment on.

Do you have additional information?
David Farmer: Following-up. Do you have additional information in regards to the roll-bar mounting location?

Last edited by ccj; 07-06-2011 at 02:50 PM. Reason: Added Reference Quote.
Old 07-06-2011, 03:37 PM
davidfarmer
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

sorry, just saw your follow up. You absolutley don't want to install to the balsa-wood floor!. The proper way to install a bar or cage in a framed car is TO THE FRAME. It requires cutting, angle-iron, creativity, but it most certainly can be done. Below is Autopower's C6 cage, which is bolted to the C6Z06 in this particular instance. The other option is to cut through the front portion of the bulkhead and mount the the top of the frame that way.

http://www.ioportracing.com/rbc/05CorvetteZ06/index.htm

I thin the OEM halo is really strong, and I've never seen one fail. I think a rollover that would crush the OEM structure is extremely rare, so that is why we've not seen anyone put the tank-bulkhead to the test.

Mounting to the "floor" is for unibody cars, not full frame cars.
Old 07-06-2011, 06:18 PM
ccj
Racer

Mounting to the "floor" is for unibody cars, not full frame cars.
I would certainly agree with that. I was just curious if there was new information or data backing up the debate between mounting a 4-point to the top of the bulkhead beam or to the 'front' of it like Pfadt's design. Some of us already have an autopower 4 point, and have for quite awhile, I would certainly be concerned if there were failures, but so far I have not heard of any.
Old 07-08-2011, 05:41 PM
MR Turco
Pro

I managed to get the LG1s installed today

Old 07-08-2011, 07:42 PM
davidfarmer
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

I don't think it will "fail", I just think you have an extremely overweight harness bar! I had a similar cage one (the old design Kirk), and I smashed that car often (never rolled it though). It was the only product available at the time. There are better choices now, including tons of skilled local professionals to build custom setups.

Get notified of new replies

To Autopower 4-point Roll Bar install C5 Z06 Pics

Quick Reply: Autopower 4-point Roll Bar install C5 Z06 Pics