Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Prodigy Brake Controller Question

Search this Thread

Old 03-05-2011, 12:35 PM
TedDBere
Melting Slicks

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Default Prodigy Brake Controller Question

Took the tow vehicle out of winter storage but when I started up the truck the Prodigy brake controller shows a 1.2 on the readout without the trailer being hooked up. Usually nothing but one or two dots are displayed. When I turn the adjuster down I can get the readout to 0.0 but never no readout

When I step on the brake, while standing still, the readout increases proportional to my brake pressure.

When I hook up the trailer I usually get the "c" readout (connected), but now the 1.2 readout remains with no "c". The trailer lights and brake lights function properly when connected. I can't seem to get the "c" to appear.

Is the unit shot? The wires seem fine under the dash. Am I doing something wrong? The unit is about 4-5 years old and I've never had a single problem with it.
Old 03-05-2011, 01:45 PM
Bill Dearborn
Tech Contributor

Received 8,918 Likes on 5,327 Posts

Did you check the wires where they go into the unit? I have had a couple of controllers that had the wires pull loose. One of them was several years old and the company warrantied it due to a manufacturing defect.

Bill
Old 03-05-2011, 02:19 PM
TedDBere
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by Bill Dearborn
Did you check the wires where they go into the unit? I have had a couple of controllers that had the wires pull loose. One of them was several years old and the company warrantied it due to a manufacturing defect.

Bill
Wires seem fine. It's puzzling that it shows a braking output while it's disconnected from the trailer. Usually I get " . . " when nothing is connected.
Old 03-07-2011, 11:11 AM
TedDBere
Melting Slicks

I disconnected the unit, let it sit for a moment, and then rebooted it by plugging it back in. Now everything seems to be fine. I get the "n.c." (not connected) and then " . . " reading as it's suppose to do. And when I connect it I get the " .c. " (connected) signal. When I step on the brake with it connected I get the " 1.0" reading showing it's working.

All seems well. I just wanted to report this for future searches....
Old 03-07-2011, 12:49 PM
ZO6NTHEWIND
Racer

Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts

I thought I had a problem with my brake controller also. I called their 800 number help line. I was absolutely amazed at the knowledge that the guy had about their product.
Turns out the adaptor I had to change from the large plug to the smaller plug on my trailer needed a wire switched.

Point being don't be afraid to call their 800 help line, they were great!
Old 03-07-2011, 03:21 PM
TedDBere
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by ZO6NTHEWIND
Point being don't be afraid to call their 800 help line, they were great!

That's a great idea. How about sharing the number here for future searchers?
Old 03-07-2011, 04:31 PM
95jersey
Le Mans Master

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I have one that did the same exac thing, and it was the rear wiring harness that went bad.

Get notified of new replies

To Prodigy Brake Controller Question

Quick Reply: Prodigy Brake Controller Question