Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

quick RATIO STEERING

Search this Thread

Old 03-08-2011, 08:32 AM
frankgtb
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default quick RATIO STEERING

does anyone understand why go karts and open wheel race cars runs great with a super quick steering ratio of 1/2 turn 180deg lock to lock and road/track cars dont??????
Old 03-08-2011, 03:29 PM
John B
Pro
Pro Mechanic

Received 35 Likes on 28 Posts

No I don't understand. I think in the corvettes case it was designed for older people holding a coffee cup. My C4 has the 2 turns lock to lock rack in it. I like it way more than my 01 Z06. I think all C5 & C6s have the same slow rack ratio in them.
Old 03-08-2011, 05:13 PM
Bill Dearborn
Tech Contributor

Received 8,919 Likes on 5,328 Posts

I wouldn't say it is for older people only. Most driver's (including the youngest) would get themselves in deep trouble quickly if they had a super quick steering ratio in the car. If they did have that quick of a ratio in the C5/C6 I could just see all of the complaints on the forum.

Bill
Old 03-08-2011, 05:41 PM
mgarfias
Drifting

Received 30 Likes on 24 Posts

My old camaro had the fast ratio 1LE box, plus the steering arms were gronked to clear the wheels which happened to speed up the steering. It was 1.75 turns lock to lock and it was wonderful.

One of these days I'll ditch the OE rack and look for a fast aftermarket setup.
Old 03-08-2011, 07:15 PM
John Shiels
Team Owner

Location: Buy USA products! Check the label! Employ Americans
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by Bill Dearborn
I wouldn't say it is for older people only. Most driver's (including the youngest) would get themselves in deep trouble quickly if they had a super quick steering ratio in the car. If they did have that quick of a ratio in the C5/C6 I could just see all of the complaints on the forum.

Bill
Old 03-08-2011, 09:21 PM
gkmccready
Safety Car

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Bill Dearborn
"I sneezed and I ended up in the ditch!"
Old 03-08-2011, 09:39 PM
Carolina C4 Racer
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The 2 turn rack in a Corvette was killed when the ZR-1's came out in 1990. I guess someone thought it was too quick for a car with the speed potential of a ZR1.
IMO It just takes getting used to. All the dirt track cars run a "steering quickener" & it will work on full sized road racers too.

Until you have driven a car with a quick rack you do know just how slow your steering is!!!
Old 03-09-2011, 11:50 AM
John B
Pro
Pro Mechanic

Received 35 Likes on 28 Posts

Originally Posted by Carolina C4 Racer
The 2 turn rack in a Corvette was killed when the ZR-1's came out in 1990. I guess someone thought it was too quick for a car with the speed potential of a ZR1.
IMO It just takes getting used to. All the dirt track cars run a "steering quickener" & it will work on full sized road racers too.

Until you have driven a car with a quick rack you do know just how slow your steering is!!!
My thoughts exactly. I used to race IMCA dirt. Go Cart quick would be be excessive, but these things are slow. I feel comfortable driving my C4 110%. If the rear slips out @ 100mph a slight move of the wheel & I have corrected. Not so with the C5. For autocross I think the C5/C6 needs 1 of those tractor ***** so your arms don't get twisted in a knot.
Old 03-10-2011, 01:16 PM
ZR1 MK
Melting Slicks

Received 10 Likes on 2 Posts

There are European GT cars also using fast ratio steering.

Im with John B. I like my 13.0 ratio rack compared my previous stock 15.7 ratio.

My Z28 had a variable 14.0-10.7 ratio box that was perfect.

Im old now, but I liked the quick steering when I was a kid too.
Old 03-10-2011, 03:16 PM
MR Turco
Pro

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

its definitely one of the things i miss from my evo. The steering in that was quick, but it needed it.

Get notified of new replies

To quick RATIO STEERING

Quick Reply: quick RATIO STEERING