Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

C5 coupe - rear battery - cubby size?

Search this Thread

Old 03-10-2011, 03:20 PM
RX-Ben
Safety Car

Received 14 Likes on 9 Posts

Default C5 coupe - rear battery - cubby size?

I'm considering relocating my battery to the rear of the car. I don't have access to the car for a while - what size battery will fit in one of the side rear storage compartments?

Thanks.
Old 03-10-2011, 06:46 PM
trackboss
Melting Slicks

Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts

Odyssey 925 is what I have and will be making a tray to mount it in the rear corner pocket. It will not go all the way down as the pocket is tapered. A tray can be formed and bolted in along the sides from the outside for a solid mount (what I am doing). If you want it to go down all the way to the bottom you are looking at a smaller battery that is not worth mounting that far away from the starter. Basically, if you go small enough to fit in there without tray you are better off installing that in the stock location so less cabling (and weight) and as a result resistance in the cables.
Old 03-10-2011, 07:12 PM
RX-Ben
Safety Car

Thanks.

Anyone else done this? Did you run both the pos and neg cables up front? I'd like to avoid running both, but I'm worried about corrosion if I tap into a frame rail (especially in the rear).
Old 03-10-2011, 08:29 PM
davidfarmer
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 712 Likes on 493 Posts

I've just stuck a battery back there for a DE car, then ran a single cable to the front for the positive. Weld a stud to the frame and ground it at the rear. Never had a problem. The fiberglass is strong, but you can easily weld a bracket to the frame to put a small support under the cubby.

The C6Z06 battery is back there, and they put a reinforcement under the cubby
Old 03-10-2011, 08:32 PM
maw455
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08

I have an Optima Red Top in my right rear cubby. The race shop put it in, but I'm fairly certain the negative is grounded in the rear some place since there only the positive cable is running to the front where the battery used to be.
Old 03-10-2011, 10:03 PM
RogerT
Pro

Default Teach me.

Hey Guys,

Teach me something. What is the purpose of placing the battery in the rear? Yes, I understand the added weight adds traction. However, for autocrossing adding weight back of the rear axle seems counter productive because it would contribute to oversteering. It's a polar moment of inertia thing.

Please advise. Thanks.

Roger T : )
Old 03-10-2011, 10:18 PM
RX-Ben
Safety Car

Ideally I'd put it over/in front of the rear axle on the pass. side, but the cubby hole is convenient.
Old 03-11-2011, 05:36 PM
geerookie
Drifting

Originally Posted by RX-Ben
Ideally I'd put it over/in front of the rear axle on the pass. side, but the cubby hole is convenient.
Best place is on the floor behind the pass. seat next to the tunnel.
I would take a light battery in the factory spot over any battery all the way in the back cubby. At least it is low and inside the axles.

Get notified of new replies

To C5 coupe - rear battery - cubby size?

Quick Reply: C5 coupe - rear battery - cubby size?