Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

how will the stock radiator do?

Search this Thread

Old 03-12-2011, 10:29 PM
VGLNTE1
Le Mans Master

Received 31 Likes on 29 Posts
St. Jude Donor '14-'15
Default how will the stock radiator do?

I run a 416 ls3 and a oil cooler but the Rad is still stock...will my temps be ok with a 25-30 min session? The outside temps will be around 80
Old 03-13-2011, 05:28 AM
VetteDrmr
Le Mans Master

Received 1,395 Likes on 748 Posts

Just manage your temps on track. A DE is supposed to be fun, so running in a higher gear (the lower revs do wonders for dropping coolant and oil temps) shouldn't be that big a deal.

Besides, if you stay in 1 gear higher than you could use you can concentrate more on your driving. At my local track I use 3rd and 4th where I could stay in the top of the rpm range and use 2nd and 3rd.

Don't have many people pass me (and admittedly this is in an intermediate group, an advanced group would inhale me like a bass after a minnow); it's more about your driving, tires, suspension, THEN power.

So, just keep an eye on the temps, when the coolant gets around 230 or so, back her off for a lap or two, then have at it again!

HTH, and have a good one,
Mike
Old 03-13-2011, 05:45 AM
John Shiels
Team Owner

Location: Buy USA products! Check the label! Employ Americans
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by VGLNTE1
I run a 416 ls3 and a oil cooler but the Rad is still stock...will my temps be ok with a 25-30 min session? The outside temps will be around 80
If you run it hard and use all you power all the time it will get to hot. If you short shift it will be fine but for me that is not much fun just cruising around and loafing.

Last edited by John Shiels; 03-13-2011 at 06:47 AM.
Old 03-13-2011, 08:58 AM
CHJ In Virginia
Safety Car

Received 27 Likes on 24 Posts

You will be fine for the short term with youur stock radiator. Just follow the advice of the above 2 posts. Long term, you are going to want to "run" that beast, you built the big cube motor to use it. Do your self a favor and get a DeWitts dual core radiator. I have run at VIR in 104 deg ambient conditions and never got over 220 degrees on coolant with my Dewitts.
Old 03-13-2011, 03:41 PM
John Shiels
Team Owner

most important thing is to ramp up slowly if you are just starting. Bring it in the gate in one piece and out in one piece. I still always think that thought when entering. More power will get you in trouble much faster if you lose respect for it. You have to say sometimes just let them go and live to fight another day. Just starting your rad will be fine.
Old 03-14-2011, 04:30 PM
Bill Dearborn
Tech Contributor

Received 8,928 Likes on 5,333 Posts

A lot of times you have two gears that will work in a corner. Always go with the higher one. There is only so much power you can put to the ground and have the car stick. You can get that power with less throttle and higher rpms in a lower gear or more throttle with lower rpms in a higher gear. Overall, you get better results with the higher gear since you have better car control, aren't buzzing the engine to keep your speed up and the car runs cooler. For example, when I run my cars in cold weather I have to use a lower gear to increase the engine oil temp. Doing 70 mph in cruise control in 4th gear the temp is usually 15 degrees cooler than if I run 70 in cruise control in 3rd gear. Engine is producing the same amount of rear wheel power but it isn't operating as efficiently in 3rd and thus heats the oil more.

Bill
Old 03-14-2011, 06:44 PM
John Shiels
Team Owner

I like to buzz mine like an electric motor. Big slicks will put down some good power. If you have L-7 then you have more torque lower so you need to buzz it less.

Get notified of new replies

To how will the stock radiator do?

Quick Reply: how will the stock radiator do?