Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Trailer question

Search this Thread

Old 03-21-2011, 02:53 PM
ssdeuce
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Trailer question

I'm looking into buying an open trailer. How much fuel savings would I get buying aluminum over steal? Is it worth the extra $

Thanks!
Old 03-21-2011, 03:03 PM
clubracer6
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I can't answer the fuel economy issue, but given the price difference between the two, I would think on the MPG issue alone, the aluminum trailer is not worth it.

I've been looking at this for a couple of months now and I can't justify the expense of a aluminum one. For the money those go for, you could get yourself an enclosed trailer.
Old 03-21-2011, 03:19 PM
John Shiels
Team Owner

Location: Buy USA products! Check the label! Employ Americans
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

I doubt 1/2 mpg then it depends on how many miles and how much fuel is. What is the difference in weight steel to aluminum?

Last edited by John Shiels; 03-21-2011 at 03:24 PM.
Old 03-21-2011, 03:50 PM
Tech Contributor

Location: I tend to be leery of any guy who doesn't own a chainsaw or a handgun.
Received 768 Likes on 550 Posts

I would guess the mpg difference would be insignificant. The aero drag from your car sitting up in the breeze is the main issue, and that's the same for either trailer.

My FL aluminum trailer weighed 1350, while the previous (slightly shorter) steel trailer weighed 1600. Both were "flat floor" types, for lack of the correct description.

The aluminum trailer is obviously more expensive to buy, but the lighter weight makes it slightly easier on the tires and while going up a hill or braking. The aluminum trailers also have a very good resale value (which my steel trailers didn't), which makes the total expenditure more palatable.

Oh, yeah, with an aluminum trailer there's no periodic scraping and painting. My 12 year old FL trailer looked darn near brand new when I sold it.
Old 03-21-2011, 03:53 PM
GettReal
Le Mans Master

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

I get 14 mpg driving just my truck... 10mpg when Im towing my 18' steel trailer. Im guessing an aluminum trailer would give me maybe 12mpg??

so if you do the math.... saving 2 mpg x how many times you go to a track in a year = ??

now look at the difference in trailer price, my guess is that you are WAY better off getting a steel trailer.

All that said, Id like an aluminum trailer to make it easier on my 5.3 motor and my drivetrain and my brakes..
Old 03-21-2011, 04:16 PM
Bill Dearborn
Tech Contributor

Received 8,928 Likes on 5,333 Posts

I bought a 16 ft. steel trailer with a wood bed in 1993. It had a beaver tail built into it and I had the dealer weld up some ramp extensions so my ramps can go from 4 ft to 10 ft as needed. I had him add a tire rack and a wind break of fiberglass panels on the tire rack to protect the car from debris. After 18 years the trailer is still going strong. It has never been repainted and for 10 years it was stored outside.

The trailer weighs 1800 lbs and tucks nicely behind the Tahoe so there is far less air drag with the open trailer than there is with an enclosed trailer that would stick up several feet further into the wind stream. With the car and 4 wheels in the tire rack the total weight is 5500 lbx. If there is a 1000 lb difference in weight between the aluminum and steel trailers I suspect you might get 2 or 3 mpg more with the aluminum trailer. I used to tow the trailer and car with a 1991 Olds Bravada with a 160 HP engine that would get 15 mpg towing the trailer. Since then I have had two Tahoes that got 12 instead of 15 but they each weighed 1000 lbs more than the Bravada. However, they didn't work anywhere near as hard as the Bravada which only had a 4300 lb towing capacity and really busted a gut when pulling up a long steep hill at 40 mph in low gear with the tach reading 5000 rpm.

Bill
Old 03-21-2011, 04:44 PM
Last C5
Safety Car

Received 23 Likes on 21 Posts

I've towed both with my F350 Powerstroke and the fuel mileage difference is insignificant. The reason you buy an aluminum trailer is for reduced maintenance, far better resale value, and reduced tire wear. I've had aluminum horse trailers, boat trailers, utility trailers, and now an aluminum car trailer. I either made money or broke even on every one of them.
Old 03-21-2011, 09:56 PM
JDIllon
Melting Slicks

Received 297 Likes on 78 Posts

NONE! an open aluminum trailer is only going to be about 300lbs lighter than a steel open trailer. The size aluminum beams and material needed to get the same strength as steel adds weight to the aluminum trailer. Ad the extra cost of aluminum and it is hard to justify. Not true if you are considering a enclosed trailer, then the weight savings is considerable and worth the added cost. The average aluminum open trailer is going to be double the price of the same size steel trailer.
Note: Before you guys with aluminum trailer start blasting this post!!! I have been in the trailer business many years, and this is my opinion for what ever it is worth.??? JD
Old 03-21-2011, 10:07 PM
Tech Contributor

Location: I tend to be leery of any guy who doesn't own a chainsaw or a handgun.
Received 768 Likes on 550 Posts

Originally Posted by JDIllon
NONE! an open aluminum trailer is only going to be about 300lbs lighter than a steel open trailer. The size aluminum beams and material needed to get the same strength as steel adds weight to the aluminum trailer. Ad the extra cost of aluminum and it is hard to justify. Not true if you are considering a enclosed trailer, then the weight savings is considerable and worth the added cost. The average aluminum open trailer is going to be double the price of the same size steel trailer.
Note: Before you guys with aluminum trailer start blasting this post!!! I have been in the trailer business many years, and this is my opinion for what ever it is worth.??? JD
It's worth what we paid for it.
Old 03-21-2011, 10:15 PM
JDIllon
Melting Slicks

Received 297 Likes on 78 Posts

Originally Posted by 69427
It's worth what we paid for it.
I agree! good follow up on the lead! JD
Old 03-25-2011, 07:46 AM
ssdeuce
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks guys! I was thinking there wouldn't be much difference between the two.
Old 03-25-2011, 08:23 AM
AU N EGL
Team Owner

Received 25 Likes on 25 Posts

Dont forget to put a stone guard on the front of any open trailer
Old 03-25-2011, 11:00 PM
Donny Brass
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 132 Likes on 74 Posts
C2 of Year Finalist (track prepared) 2019
2017 C2 of the Year Finalist

I absolutely love my aluminum trailer and would not go back to steel........

I dunno why, but it just tows better

I have a dozen phone numbers of guys who want it if I ever get tired of owning it, so I can't be alone
Old 03-25-2011, 11:41 PM
WNeal
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 10 Likes on 2 Posts
Cruise-In Veteran VII
Cruise-In Veteran VIII
"Slower Azz Dog"
St. Jude Donor '06-'07-'08-'09

Originally Posted by Donny Brass
I absolutely love my aluminum trailer and would not go back to steel........

I dunno why, but it just tows better

I have a dozen phone numbers of guys who want it if I ever get tired of owning it, so I can't be alone
The guys I know that have open Aluminum trailers say the same thing.
I had a steel trailer and it was OK but just did not seem to be the same quality and needed more maintenance than the Aluminum

Get notified of new replies

To Trailer question

Quick Reply: Trailer question