Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Engine is out, DRY SUMP TIME?

Search this Thread

Old 03-23-2011, 06:02 PM
LeMans05C6
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Engine is out, DRY SUMP TIME?

Well as the engine had to come out of the bay anyway, how much more is involved in getting a dry sump installed if its already out. I know the parts are costly i am sure in themselves.... but more how much extra labor would you guys guess.

Never cheap to pull the engine, so i am wondering if its more efficient to do it now?

Any thoughts or past experience on this topic would be helpful.

Thanks
Old 03-23-2011, 06:03 PM
wallyman424
Melting Slicks

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You're looking at around 5g in parts alone to do a drysump from what I've heard. And yes I'm sure its easier to install with the engine out.
Old 03-23-2011, 06:19 PM
LeMans05C6
Pro

Wow well i think its time to save up for that, more than I can spend right now if its that much in parts. I am just getting to the point with my 403ci without the drysump and even R888s i am on the edge of pressure issues as it is and I am not even on slicks yet.

Sounds like my favorite hobby will take some money savings for now and be on HOLD.
Old 03-23-2011, 06:31 PM
sothpaw2
Safety Car

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

No idea on time to do that but wanted to say that I'm very sorry to hear that. You were asking questions earlier about pressure & temps and I think just starting the season.

Edit: be sure that someone is not pulling your leg and that the engine really must come out. On my C4, I went around and around with the mechanic and he told me the engine won't last with this very minor scratch on the crankshaft. I pulled the engine and I really regretted it. He was not qualifed to make the call.
Old 03-23-2011, 07:21 PM
GettReal
Le Mans Master

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Im in the same boat you are, new motor and I wanted to do a drysump. It would be easier to do most of the install with the motor out but everything Ive heard, including from my shop is not to underestimate this job.. running all the proper lines and getting everything to fit well and not leak is quite a task... .expect 4-5k in parts and 1-2k in labour.. do you spend now...or spend later? welcome to the hobby
Old 03-23-2011, 07:26 PM
LeMans05C6
Pro

Well thanks guys for the help. I am guessing the shop will tell me about the same things as well as they have been fair so far on pricing. I am just at that point to continue to push the car and the limits it is something I am going to need. Well back to saving for more than one thing, but at least I am working on the car a my somewhat younger age, by the time the car is ready i should be pretty well set up to thrash it and have it keep coming back for more. 27 years old and hooked, hopefully i have a long future in the hobby if i can keep things going.
Old 03-23-2011, 08:11 PM
63Corvette
Le Mans Master

Received 283 Likes on 199 Posts

http://forums.corvetteforum.com/auto...-for-sale.html
Old 03-23-2011, 08:38 PM
TheSkunkWorks
Le Mans Master

Received 68 Likes on 50 Posts

Accusump time.
Old 03-23-2011, 09:08 PM
travisnd
Safety Car

Received 18 Likes on 10 Posts

Buy a stock LS6 and beat the crap out of it for years... they seem to hold up much better than the LS2 and LS3 based motors. I could buy 2 crate motors for what you're going to spend to have a shop install a dry-sump.
Old 03-23-2011, 11:28 PM
Gman57
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

When setting up my car I made the move to do the dry sump..... cheeper than a new LS7
Old 03-24-2011, 07:16 AM
Wasserott
Pro

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

I installed the drysump last year without removing the engine. The only engine issue is the pan. You have to drop the cradle and suspend the engine in order to install the pan. Not as difficult as it seems with the right brace.

Wally is right, about $4-$5k

Worth it to me, not to watch gauges all the time.
Old 03-24-2011, 07:30 AM
AU N EGL
Team Owner

Received 25 Likes on 25 Posts

Buy two Crate LS6s ad an accu-sump and have at it in ST2
Old 03-24-2011, 09:12 AM
John Shiels
Team Owner

Location: Buy USA products! Check the label! Employ Americans
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

when you build a 383 from scratch it will require a lot more cost than a crate motor. Everything will have to be balanced and assembled. My accusump has worked fine for years on an LS6. When I had to chose where my dollar would go it was mostly engine (big) or LS6 with H&C and all the coolers on the car.
Old 03-24-2011, 12:33 PM
OKsweetrides
Burning Brakes

Received 22 Likes on 15 Posts

I blew my H/C LS6 w/ dry sump after high levels of abuse... Not oil related. :p
I vote dry sump if you got a pricey engine, doubley so if your using a Gen 4 engine block.

If my LS7 ever blows... Im going back to the venerable LS6.
Old 03-24-2011, 03:43 PM
67Ranger
Racer

Received 25 Likes on 19 Posts

Why are you having to pull it out again? Did something happen on sunday at MSRC?
Old 03-24-2011, 05:01 PM
LeMans05C6
Pro

I think the pressure may have gotten a bit low, shocking right...

Well i started to notice in the following week right around 2k RPMs this wierd knocking sound.

When they had it on a lift they heard it was near the back of the crankshaft.
Old 03-24-2011, 09:42 PM
OKsweetrides
Burning Brakes

Received 22 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by LeMans05C6
I think the pressure may have gotten a bit low, shocking right...

Well i started to notice in the following week right around 2k RPMs this wierd knocking sound.

When they had it on a lift they heard it was near the back of the crankshaft.
I'd say that you may very well be on borrowed time
From my observations of opinions and whatnot:
If you have a LS 1,2,3,7,9 AND have track tires; you are going to be living on a smaller amount of borrowed time
If you have a LS6 AND have semi-streetable tires, you have a lot more borrowed time.
If you're in between the two, you are in a crap shoot. Remember, stock C6Z's with R6's have blown engines. Stock C5Z's with R6's have a fared better in my observation.

Some upsides on why doing dry sump now is worth it:
If you seriously blow an engine, all you gotta do is blow the chunks out of the lines and pump, worst case scenario is a rod through pan (in my case, Gary@ARE was the winkest link getting a pan out to me :p ).

Last edited by OKsweetrides; 03-24-2011 at 09:49 PM.

Get notified of new replies

To Engine is out, DRY SUMP TIME?

Old 03-24-2011, 09:44 PM
trapp
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by LeMans05C6
Well as the engine had to come out of the bay anyway, how much more is involved in getting a dry sump installed if its already out. I know the parts are costly i am sure in themselves.... but more how much extra labor would you guys guess.

Never cheap to pull the engine, so i am wondering if its more efficient to do it now?

Any thoughts or past experience on this topic would be helpful.

Thanks
If you go with an accusump I have one that I just pulled from my 09 C6. I barely used it...I bought a GS so I don't need it anymore..
Old 03-24-2011, 11:59 PM
67Ranger
Racer

Received 25 Likes on 19 Posts

Sorry to hear that man, hopefully I'll see you again later in the year, or next season
Old 03-25-2011, 03:08 PM
LeMans05C6
Pro

I think with the sticky tires and it being an LS2 I need to save up and do it right with an ARE dry sump, probably a bigger radiator and oil cooler, Ron Davis or Dewitts. All those parts and the labor probably about 10k. Shot in the dark but I don't think its too far off.

I hear if i run hard even with R888s and pull over 1.1g in a turn, Hoosiers would only be worse I am sure, I am on borrowed time through each corner, and i would rather save up and make the engine and oil system Race ready, than perhaps blow a motor at some point again.

Takes me off the racetrack for a while becuse I am not one to go out there and drive it gingerly. Wouldn't hurt I guess to take it slow and really work on lines, but wheres the fun in that.

Enjoy your 04Z06 man, from what i hear the LS6 is a great car to run out there. Me ill have to turn mine into practically a race car to get back out there, but at that point I won't have to look down at the oil pressure guage during a turn thats for sure.

When I come back ill be ready to do it right.

Quick Reply: Engine is out, DRY SUMP TIME?