Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Alignment suggestions?

Search this Thread

Old 03-24-2011, 07:47 AM
Bobzilla
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Alignment suggestions?

OK, so late last night I buttoned up Barbie with all new bushings, brakes, lines, fluid and brought her into work to get the alignment set. Now the question is.... WHAT do I set it to?

Car is a 1988 Z51, it's main purpose is a fun auto-x car that may just get driven from Indy to Pike's Peak this summer. Looking for suggestions as to what camber, caster and toe settings y'all would recommend.

TIA
Old 03-24-2011, 08:53 AM
Solofast
Melting Slicks

Received 85 Likes on 71 Posts

Toe is what eats tires. If you don't toe it out you can run a lot of negative camber and it won't eat your tires too much.

I run max neg in the front (-2) and -1.5 in the back, and set the toe to 1/8 of an inch in all around. Mark the front tie rods and if you go to an autocorss crank one full turn of toe out into each side. You can reset it back to 1/8 in after you are done. Max the caster in the front with whatever you get with negative camber.

After about 10 or 15k miles flip your tires on the rim and you will be fine.

Gives you the best you can get on the track and doesn't eat tires too bad.

If you really want tire life and compromise setup for the track, take out 1/2 a degree of camber all around.
Old 03-24-2011, 09:18 AM
Bobzilla
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I HIGHLY doubt I'll ever get 15k out of a set of tires.... lol. I put the rears on last august, and in 2000 miles ate 3/32 off of them. ( I wonder if my "tail out" driving style had anything to do with that?)

But thanks, that's what I'll set her at and see how she drives. After replacing the bushings, I am FINALLY feeling the "stiff Z51 kidneybuster" ride. Bilsteins should be her next week to complete the feeling.

Last edited by Bobzilla; 03-24-2011 at 09:21 AM.

Get notified of new replies

To Alignment suggestions?

Quick Reply: Alignment suggestions?