Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2005 auto and problem on road course

Search this Thread

Old 03-24-2011, 08:13 AM
JohnAlley
Pro

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

Default 2005 auto and problem on road course

Last year I did my first event at VIR in my 2005 Corvette with A4 tranny. Car was great on straights but when I entered a high speed turn it acted like it was out of gear until I got the car straight again. This also happened at Autobahn and also when I did a low speed autocross at Tire Rack in South Bend. I have since got a 2004 Z06 for this year but am still trying to figure out why the auto would act like it was out of gear. Any one else have this experience and if so what is the fix. Could it be a tranny fluid pickup issue and if so how do I fix that problem.
Old 03-24-2011, 09:53 AM
rasrboy
Melting Slicks

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by JohnAlley
Last year I did my first event at VIR in my 2005 Corvette with A4 tranny. Car was great on straights but when I entered a high speed turn it acted like it was out of gear until I got the car straight again. This also happened at Autobahn and also when I did a low speed autocross at Tire Rack in South Bend. I have since got a 2004 Z06 for this year but am still trying to figure out why the auto would act like it was out of gear. Any one else have this experience and if so what is the fix. Could it be a tranny fluid pickup issue and if so how do I fix that problem.

The only thing I can think of is, did you have the AH/TC off?

Were you manually down shifting your auto in braking/turns or did you just leave it in drive the whole time?

Congrat on the Z, it will be alot more fun shifting.
Old 03-24-2011, 10:19 AM
RAFTRACER
Melting Slicks

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by JohnAlley
Sounds like the problem is fluid level or pick-up related to me. If I were you I would check the fluid level first. The car feeling like it is out of gear when cornering I am assuming is like neutral .

I am not a fan of automatics on roadcourses...not enough control.
Old 03-24-2011, 10:54 AM
travisnd
Safety Car

Received 18 Likes on 10 Posts

Hard to diagnose w/o seeing a video or being there. My student a couple weekend ago had a 2002 auto C5 with a Magnusson supercharger on it. Once he learned the track he would force it into 2nd gear in certain areas then manually upshift it with the stick. It did ok, but it's far from optimal.

I don't remember it ever acting like it was out of gear, but there were situations where the torque converter would unlock coming through a high-speed turn as he'd roll into the gas. The stock trans programming couldn't make up it's mind if it wanted to downshift or hold the higher gear so it'd unlock the converter for a bit then decide to hold the gear and lock the converter again. It was quite annoying as a downshift at the wrong time could cause a spin... which would be very bad coming down through turn 12 at RA.

You made the right decision getting a C5 Z06... best track car for the money out there IMO.
Old 03-24-2011, 10:55 AM
Allthrottleandsomebottle
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 26 Likes on 13 Posts
Virginia Events Coordinator
Cruise-In IV Veteran
Cruise-In V Veteran
Cruise-In VI Veteran
Cruise-In VII Veteran
NCM Ambassador

Are there any codes set
Has the car ever had the computer tuned for shift quickness, line pressure, etc
How many Miles
All stock
As already mentioned what is the fluid level and was TC on
My 97' A4 has no tranny issues at VIR but I run 2 coolers, manually shift in a few spots and have the computer tweaked as well
Danny has been in mine.........he though it was ok

Last edited by Allthrottleandsomebottle; 03-24-2011 at 10:57 AM.
Old 03-24-2011, 06:50 PM
JohnAlley
Pro

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

Default Try to answer questions

Fluid level was Ok
Turned off most of the nanny's, left it in comp mode
Car has been tuned for new cam, heads and headers
No coolers on tranny

Will most likely not run any more road courses with it, just would like to know what the cause was. It felt like I was in "N" and as soon as I got the car straight off we would go. Guess that will just be one of life's ..... Hmmm moments.

Last edited by JohnAlley; 03-24-2011 at 06:51 PM. Reason: spelling

Get notified of new replies

To 2005 auto and problem on road course

Quick Reply: 2005 auto and problem on road course