Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Tape Over Factory Decals

Search this Thread

Old 03-24-2011, 06:30 PM
Yellow95
Pro

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Default Tape Over Factory Decals

Is it OK to use painter's tape over the decal stripes on the cars? Is clear contact paper OK?

We are heading out to the track this weekend and my friend is bringing his Cooksey Z06. It has the factory stripes and he was wondering if it is a problem to tape over them. He will most likely use contact paper.

Follow up: Self paper came off just fine. The decal was clear coated over.

Last edited by Yellow95; 03-28-2011 at 05:12 PM. Reason: Update
Old 03-24-2011, 07:52 PM
PaConehead
Burning Brakes

Received 22 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by Yellow95
Is it OK to use painter's tape over the decal stripes on the cars? Is clear contact paper OK?

We are heading out to the track this weekend and my friend is bringing his Cooksey Z06. It has the factory stripes and he was wondering if it is a problem to tape over them. He will most likely use contact paper.
Be careful. I used to use contact and had good results, used it on a C-4 and then my C-5 coup - never had a problem - until. Last year I used contact paper on the hood of my Z-16 (specifically to protect the hood stripes). When I removed the contact paper it adhered to the surface of the stripe - it was ruined. It may have been the fact that the Z-16 hood is Carbon fiber and there is also less insulation and that caused the contact paper to get warmer, maybe melted or changed the adhesion properties of the contact paper - I have no idea. The z-16 goes back to the track in less than 3 week and I'm not sure what to.
Old 03-24-2011, 10:44 PM
sperkins
Le Mans Master

Received 44 Likes on 35 Posts

Contact/shelf paper is very sticky, but if you put a fresh coat of wax on the areas you are concerned about it shouldn't be a problem.
Old 03-24-2011, 11:36 PM
Gary2KC5
Le Mans Master

Received 38 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by Yellow95

If the stripes are not clear coated over then don't f with them...you can put protection over them but put some lube over them and then put the sticky on

Get notified of new replies

To Tape Over Factory Decals

Quick Reply: Tape Over Factory Decals