Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Video clip from the track yesterday...

Search this Thread

Old 03-26-2011, 06:25 PM
Falcon
Le Mans Master

Received 54 Likes on 23 Posts

Default Video clip from the track yesterday...

I was at VIR yesterday for a test 'n tune day, and usually in these sessions there's always something that makes you say, Huh?

This was one of those moments. A Mustang spins in T.3 and a car right behind him avoids him with no problem, but a way's back another car almost broadside's him. It was like he saw the Mustang at the last moment and then took drastic action.

This could have really been messy!
Old 03-26-2011, 06:42 PM
Short-Throw
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Falcon
I was at VIR yesterday for a test 'n tune day, and usually in these sessions there's always something that makes you say, Huh?

This was one of those moments. A Mustang spins in T.3 and a car right behind him avoids him with no problem, but a way's back another car almost broadside's him. It was like he saw the Mustang at the last moment and then took drastic action.

This could have really been messy!
Jody,

Here are a few possibilities:

1) He was watching you preparing for a procto exam and wasn't watching in front of him.

2) He followed the guy's line in front of him and overshot the apex and although he probably could have still made the turn was too concerned about the spun car and bailed, almost too late.

3) He was watching the spin and forgot to drive his own line.

We open next week. With the cooler temps I think I'll leave the vettes inside and warm up with the Miata!

Mike
Old 03-26-2011, 09:35 PM
sperkins
Le Mans Master

Received 44 Likes on 35 Posts

Object fixation??
Old 03-26-2011, 09:38 PM
Z06cool
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

That was weird...
Old 03-27-2011, 11:40 AM
Falcon
Le Mans Master

Received 54 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by sperkins
Object fixation??
That'd be my guess.
Old 03-27-2011, 11:57 AM
ptindall
Team Owner

Received 45 Likes on 27 Posts

Little car changes directions pretty good.
Old 03-27-2011, 12:18 PM
SouthernSon
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,103 Likes on 717 Posts

Little car started to spin, also, and decided to take control for direction off to right since momentum of car was headed that direction instead of loosing control and broadsiding mustang while trying to save it?? (hard to tell)
Old 03-27-2011, 01:04 PM
ptindall
Team Owner

Originally Posted by southern_son
Little car started to spin, also, and decided to take control for direction off to right since momentum of car was headed that direction instead of loosing control and broadsiding mustang while trying to save it?? (hard to tell)
That's what I thought too. He looks kinda sideways himself. He probably didn't think he was going to be able to get around to the left so the only out was to go around him on the right.
Old 03-27-2011, 01:23 PM
davidfarmer
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 712 Likes on 493 Posts

waving yellow flags, car off track.........yet totally unprepared!
Old 03-27-2011, 04:01 PM
Painrace
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 63 Likes on 48 Posts

Originally Posted by Short-Throw
Jody,

Here are a few possibilities:

1) He was watching you preparing for a procto exam and wasn't watching in front of him.

2) He followed the guy's line in front of him and overshot the apex and although he probably could have still made the turn was too concerned about the spun car and bailed, almost too late.

3) He was watching the spin and forgot to drive his own line.

We open next week. With the cooler temps I think I'll leave the vettes inside and warm up with the Miata!

Mike
When did you install the snow plow and snow tires on the Miata?

Jim
Old 03-28-2011, 10:05 AM
waddisme
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

I bet the Mustang guy threw the brown code when saw all that unfold. He was looking right at the white car.
Old 03-28-2011, 10:22 AM
travisnd
Safety Car

Received 18 Likes on 10 Posts

Speaking of strange track happenings, my student and I ran over a damn dog in the uphill esses on Saturday It was horrible, but nothing we could do. I've seen videos of deer, but never dogs. We were going over 100 and there was nothing we could do.

It was a "wild" Danville dog, but I know it had a blue colar and tags.... it's imprinted in my mind. Had my student swerved we'd have been in the wall. We were in his '79 Mustang so it went under, but in doing so it bent the lower radiator support up and bent the radiator too. He was able to limp it home, but found other bracketry broken and couldn't make it back out Sunday.

At first I was horrified that someone had been watching the action and their dog got away from them and they had to see it all happen.
Old 03-28-2011, 10:46 AM
ptindall
Team Owner

Originally Posted by travisnd
Speaking of strange track happenings, my student and I ran over a damn dog in the uphill esses on Saturday It was horrible, but nothing we could do. I've seen videos of deer, but never dogs. We were going over 100 and there was nothing we could do.

It was a "wild" Danville dog, but I know it had a blue colar and tags.... it's imprinted in my mind. Had my student swerved we'd have been in the wall. We were in his '79 Mustang so it went under, but in doing so it bent the lower radiator support up and bent the radiator too. He was able to limp it home, but found other bracketry broken and couldn't make it back out Sunday.

At first I was horrified that someone had been watching the action and their dog got away from them and they had to see it all happen.

I'm sorry. That's awefull. Last month I almost had an encounter with a javalina. Luckily, he changed his mind and decided not to cross the track when he heard me coming.
Old 03-28-2011, 10:53 AM
travisnd
Safety Car

Received 18 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by ptindall
I'm sorry. That's awefull. Last month I almost had an encounter with a javalina. Luckily, he changed his mind and decided not to cross the track when he heard me coming.
I had to google that... not a very attactive animal is it....

Old 03-28-2011, 05:57 PM
clubracer6
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Actually, the BMW guy did a pretty heads up move. He realized after he commited to avoiding the car by going left, he changed to a path that guaranteed him no contact.

Reminds me of something I did back in my Spec Miata days. I called this a lesson in accident avoidance!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lmhqCILeH2k
Old 03-29-2011, 02:58 PM
waddisme
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by clubracer6
Actually, the BMW guy did a pretty heads up move. He realized after he commited to avoiding the car by going left, he changed to a path that guaranteed him no contact.

Reminds me of something I did back in my Spec Miata days. I called this a lesson in accident avoidance!
Old 03-29-2011, 07:47 PM
crainholio
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

BMW driver...
Old 03-30-2011, 12:10 AM
rustyguns
Le Mans Master

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by clubracer6

good move ...i have done a few of those

Get notified of new replies

To Video clip from the track yesterday...

Quick Reply: Video clip from the track yesterday...