Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Stupid question comming at ya. Transponder?

Old 03-27-2011, 11:31 AM
ptindall
Team Owner

Received 45 Likes on 27 Posts

Default Stupid question comming at ya. Transponder?

How does a transponder work? Is there something embedded in all tracks that they pick up? If I buy a transponder and install it on my car, can I just go to any track and it will start reading lap times for me or will the track have to print them? What other options do I have for recording lap times without paying some subscription and without owning a i-phone? Feel free to laugh at the stupid question. It's just a subject I know nothing about so far but I want to start collecting lap times.

EDIT: Found this. Cheap and looks to provide what I want. Opinions?

http://www.amazon.com/Qstarz-BT-Q100...=pd_sbs_auto_2

Last edited by ptindall; 03-27-2011 at 11:39 AM.
Old 03-27-2011, 12:11 PM
Gman57
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by ptindall
How does a transponder work? Is there something embedded in all tracks that they pick up? If I buy a transponder and install it on my car, can I just go to any track and it will start reading lap times for me or will the track have to print them? What other options do I have for recording lap times without paying some subscription and without owning a i-phone? Feel free to laugh at the stupid question. It's just a subject I know nothing about so far but I want to start collecting lap times.
I went with Traqmate.... not cheep but is expandable as you grow and need or want more information. With the transponder the track your at would have to have their system up and running or you
get nothing.
Old 03-27-2011, 12:18 PM
Short-Throw
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by ptindall

EDIT: Found this. Cheap and looks to provide what I want. Opinions?

http://www.amazon.com/Qstarz-BT-Q100...=pd_sbs_auto_2

Transponders are picked up by the individual track facility's system. Times are measured at one specific point at the track, usually just past Start/Finish as the car goes by. Most tracks will not have the timing equipment turned on unless it's a sanctioned timed event, like a race, time trial, etc... This is due to higher insurance costs and keeping HPDEs non-competitive events. So if you purchased a transponder to run at HPDEs, it won't serve your needs (unless you want to put out a beacon which are forbidden at many tracks events as well.)

If you're looking to record lap times, data acquisition systems are the way to go. There are many out there and can range from cheap to 'are you kidding me' prices. Trackmate for example employs a car mounted GPS antenna for timing (no beacon needed) and you can overlay data to see where you're losing time. There are far more comprehensive systems like MoTec and Bosch which are actually the car's ECU and can run $4-10K.

If all you want is timing, a cheap unit like what you found may suffice.

Mike
Old 03-28-2011, 11:02 AM
96CollectorSport
Melting Slicks

Location: If you don't weigh in you don't wrestle Road America
Received 73 Likes on 54 Posts

With all of the above, if you are looking for lap times data aq is the way to go. And you can't get much cheaper than Traqmate, but if it's time for a new cell phone getting a smartphone would be even cheaper. I just got a Samsung Galaxy S for $100 with a new 2 year deal and there are some track apps availible for it. So really any of the new smartphones would work. You would have to come up with your own cradle etc.
One other thing I would like to add would be to try to look ahead a little bit. If you plan on running time trials (TT) in the future, like NASA TT you will have to get an AMB transponder. It's the only one you can use in NASA and they are around $400.
Hate to see you get something only to find out you have to shell out more down the line.
Old 03-28-2011, 11:11 AM
travisnd
Safety Car

Received 18 Likes on 10 Posts

Traqmate for my own personal data analysis and AMB transponder for NASA timing. Keep an eye out for a used transponder as they do pop up from time to time. I purchased my Traqmate kit on eBay lightly used and the AMB transponder from the forums.

I don't have a smart-phone but I know my student at RA a few weeks ago was using his to do all his data acquisiton and timing.

Get notified of new replies

To Stupid question comming at ya. Transponder?

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Stupid question comming at ya. Transponder?