Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

02z - Which Shocks?

Search this Thread

Old 03-30-2011, 01:11 PM
stevensa
Burning Brakes

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

Default 02z - Which Shocks?

I know this has been covered a bunch, but every thread I read seems to slightly contradict the other.

Basically which shocks would you recommend for the following.

02 z06, Kumho XS, stock springs, stock sway now possibly upgrading to a Pfadt bar in the near future.

Koni, New 04z, Bilstein, Pfadt, Other?

Personal experiences?
Old 03-30-2011, 01:45 PM
TS Motorsport
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by stevensa
I know this has been covered a bunch, but every thread I read seems to slightly contradict the other.

Basically which shocks would you recommend for the following.

02 z06, Kumho XS, stock springs, stock sway now possibly upgrading to a Pfadt bar in the near future.

Koni, New 04z, Bilstein, Pfadt, Other?

Personal experiences?

I have 2010 Z06 shocks and they work really well. Some argue they're not as good as the 04's because of the gas shock shaft length between the two vehicles.
Old 03-30-2011, 02:02 PM
sperkins
Le Mans Master

Received 44 Likes on 35 Posts

Depends on what you want in the long run. Plan ahead now for whatever series/class you might compete in someday.
I like the '04Z shocks personally, but if I had to buy a set it would be from Penske - no doubt about it.
Old 03-30-2011, 02:40 PM
SouthernSon
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,103 Likes on 717 Posts

Just put on a set of koni 3013's inverted adjustable. These are not rebuildable and they are a little shorter than OEM. My car door now rubs on the trailer tires. I like them so far.
Old 03-30-2011, 02:53 PM
travisnd
Safety Car

Received 18 Likes on 10 Posts

Running TTA like sperkins I run the 2004 Z06 shocks because they are a 0-points mod and do the job. I don't really have much to compare to other than running Bilstein Sports on an older Z06 and then Koni FSDs on the street.

Here's me chasing brkntrxn last weekend at VIR... notice how "uncomposed" his car is wallowing around etc.... mine doesn't do that. He's on 2003s and stock bushings vs. me on 2004s and Pfadt polys.

PS - This isn't a critique of Kevin's driving, just seems to illustrate the differences quite well.
Old 03-30-2011, 04:16 PM
GeorgeZNJ
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 38 Likes on 32 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08-'09

I've been running the 04's since 06, and still like them.
Old 03-30-2011, 07:17 PM
autoxer6
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I raced with the '04 shocks, Koni 3013, and custom Penskes.

Bang for the buck, its hard to beat the Koni 3013. You aren't giving up much to the high dollar shocks either. They are stock length. (Southern Son's ride height may have changed because the gas pressure may be different from what he had before.)

You may also consider installing hardbars spherical bushings on any of the shocks you mentioned.
Old 03-31-2011, 12:28 PM
sothpaw2
Safety Car

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

[QUOTE=travisnd;1577207754]Running TTA like sperkins I run the 2004 Z06 shocks because they are a 0-points mod and do the job. I don't really have much to compare to other than running Bilstein Sports on an older Z06 and then Koni FSDs on the street.

Curious how you felt the '04 compared to the Bilstein Sports? I've heard the front pair is identical and the rears pretty similar w/the sports maybe a little softer in the rear.

From talking to folks here there are basically 2 camps: Koni 3013 vs. Bilstein. It seems the Koni is a great shock and seems more prevalent for auto-x then for HPDE. Some folks are not as impressed w/it though and it may be a bit of work to adjust it. The Bilstein Sports seem like a very common HPDE upgrade. DRM also makes a special valving (tested on the C6Z) which is firmer than the Sport. Folks like the DRM. Not a huge number of C5s have them yet though.

I think when it comes to Koni vs Bilstein for HPDE, besides cost, the most basic question is how comfortable are you with making tweeks to the rebound between sessions to get them dialed in. The Bilsteins offer no adjustment.

Last edited by sothpaw2; 03-31-2011 at 12:31 PM.
Old 03-31-2011, 12:43 PM
SouthernSon
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,103 Likes on 717 Posts

Originally Posted by autoxer6
(Southern Son's ride height may have changed because the gas pressure may be different from what he had before.)

You may also consider installing hardbars spherical bushings on any of the shocks you mentioned.
That is probably what it is. Thanks for the clarification. That reminds me, I need to go get a treated board to bolt onto my trailer before loading this afternoon.
Old 03-31-2011, 01:53 PM
Zenak
Terminal Vette Addict
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 36 Likes on 12 Posts

did you read the sticky in this section:

http://forums.corvetteforum.com/auto...e-learned.html
Old 03-31-2011, 06:50 PM
stevensa
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Zenak
did you read the sticky in this section:

http://forums.corvetteforum.com/auto...e-learned.html

I have and because it you have coilovers burning in the back of my head still!!!

Thanks for all of the feedback everyone. Right now I think I am leaning toward the Bilstein sports as they sounds like a decent shock for a great price. The stock 04's are a close second. Pretty much anything is going to be a huge upgrade over my stock 40k 02 shocks.

Another quick questions that is related but slightly off topic. How big of a difference do coilovers REALLY make? Im sure there is a significant difference in overall feel and confidence, but how about lap time wise, is it worth the money? Obviously driver has a HUGE impact on performance and I would consider myself an average driver, but it seems that there is rarely a coilover car on track that I am not within a second or two of or most of the time faster than. is it really worth the money?
Old 03-31-2011, 06:52 PM
stevensa
Burning Brakes

Also, does anyone know much about the Johnny O shocks and sway combo?
Old 03-31-2011, 07:31 PM
sothpaw2
Safety Car

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Also, does anyone know much about the Johnny O shocks and sway combo?
I ordered the sways so I'll be doing a review

The sways to me look similar to the hotchkis but with a bigger ft bar (35mm) plus poly bushings and adjust. end links. Hoping they are almost as good as t1 bars.

The combo was mostly track tested using a c6z.
Old 04-01-2011, 06:05 AM
Gering
Tolero Apto Victum
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 37 Likes on 34 Posts

I have and because it you have coilovers burning in the back of my head still!!! Thanks for all of the feedback everyone. Right now I think I am leaning toward the Bilstein sports as they sounds like a decent shock for a great price. The stock 04's are a close second. Pretty much anything is going to be a huge upgrade over my stock 40k 02 shocks.

Another quick questions that is related but slightly off topic. How big of a difference do coilovers REALLY make? Im sure there is a significant difference in overall feel and confidence, but how about lap time wise, is it worth the money? Obviously driver has a HUGE impact on performance and I would consider myself an average driver, but it seems that there is rarely a coilover car on track that I am not within a second or two of or most of the time faster than. is it really worth the money?
Sir, I have these and like them a lot. If you want to go to full coil over later, then you are half way there. http://www.lgmotorsports.com/catalog...oducts_id=2071
Old 04-01-2011, 09:06 AM
vetdude
Race Director

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts

From everything I've read, the '04Z shocks are good for track days; not so much daily street use (too stiff).
Old 04-01-2011, 09:13 AM
travisnd
Safety Car

Received 18 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by vetdude
From everything I've read, the '04Z shocks are good for track days; not so much daily street use (too stiff).
That's not the case at all... the springs really determine how stiff the car is and the shock just controls the spring movement. My father had a bone stock 2004 Z16 Z06 for a few years and it rode/drove just like any other Z06. They just work better when you start to push the car.
Old 04-01-2011, 10:29 AM
ipuig
Drifting

Received 51 Likes on 33 Posts
St. Jude Donor '09

Originally Posted by vetdude
On the contrary in my case, the ride harshness was reduced when I replaced my 72K mile 01Z shocks with the 04Z shocks I have now.

Get notified of new replies

To 02z - Which Shocks?

Old 04-05-2011, 10:15 PM
RaleighSS
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I have been running the Koni FSD with Poly bushings everywhere for a couple years now .. Never really had any complaints next plan is to upgrade stock sways .. then revisit the shocks
Old 04-06-2011, 09:26 PM
Z06Tracker
Pro

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I agree with Sperkins. You can't begin to answer the question without knowing what your want to do with the car. There are many great alternatives, but the best choice depends on many variables including application, personal preference, and budget.
Old 04-07-2011, 07:57 AM
vetdude
Race Director

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by Z06Tracker
I agree with Sperkins. You can't begin to answer the question without knowing what your want to do with the car. There are many great alternatives, but the best choice depends on many variables including application, personal preference, and budget.
It's really quite simple - we want my wife's '98 C5 convertible with the base FE1 suspension to ride/handle like a Corvette, not a Malibu. My C6Z rides/handles like a Corvette should.

Quick Reply: 02z - Which Shocks?