Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

oil pressure

Search this Thread

Old 04-07-2011, 06:51 AM
wingjohn2
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default oil pressure

My 67 corvette has a new 540 that I usually drag race, but I am putting autocross slicks on it for an upcomming corvette meet. Will I have an oil pressure issue with the stickie rubber? It is a gen VI bowtie engine. thanks all
Old 04-07-2011, 09:53 AM
Gordy M
Melting Slicks

Received 316 Likes on 271 Posts

Most of the oil pressure problems were the result of the oil pan setup and lack of channels to keep the oil from slosching out. When I used to autocross my midyear, I had a 20lb sender in the block wired to a 1" round stop light-mounted on the steering column. As soon as the pressure dropped to 20 lb it would light up--and it was big enough to see regardless of bright sunlight, going straight, in a chicayne or in a turn.
Old 04-07-2011, 10:17 AM
travisnd
Safety Car

Received 18 Likes on 10 Posts

Depends on your oil pan and pickup.... I don't know anything about C2s other than they sure look cool.

Usually it takes long high-speed sweepers to creat oil pressure issues. Most auto-x courses are shorter with lots of quick turns and changes in direction.
Old 04-07-2011, 02:18 PM
wingjohn2
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks for the info..I ran into problems with my small block oiling, years ago and installed a light to come on at 30 lbs of pressure via a hobbs switch. Works well, but was just curious if anyone has had problems with big block oiling while autocrossing...it is impossible to see your gauges while doing the cone dance...unless, of course you don.t mind sliding off course.
the pan I have now is basically just a drag pan with minimal baffling. Think I will install my accusump just to me safe. Though not much space for it.
Old 04-07-2011, 02:29 PM
63Corvette
Le Mans Master

Received 283 Likes on 199 Posts

Originally Posted by wingjohn2
Thanks for the info..I ran into problems with my small block oiling, years ago and installed a light to come on at 30 lbs of pressure via a hobbs switch. Works well, but was just curious if anyone has had problems with big block oiling while autocrossing...it is impossible to see your gauges while doing the cone dance...unless, of course you don.t mind sliding off course.
the pan I have now is basically just a drag pan with minimal baffling. Think I will install my accusump just to me safe. Though not much space for it.
I roadrace a C2 and as mentioned, the trick is in the oil pan and/or delivery system. For absolute security use a DRY SUMP (http://forums.corvetteforum.com/auto...-for-sale.html). However, in the real world where most of us can't afford a dry sump, I recommend the use of an Accusump. It's NOT foolproof, but is an excellent 1st line of defense, and since you already have one, it would be foolish NOT to use it. (oh yeah, use the tail light also)

Last edited by 63Corvette; 04-07-2011 at 02:35 PM.

Get notified of new replies

To oil pressure

Quick Reply: oil pressure