Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

C4 Shock Options (1985)

Old 04-08-2011, 01:14 PM
dan_t
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default C4 Shock Options (1985)

I've just replaced my standard 85 springs with some 84 Z51's. I've not driven the car far but I can feel that the standard shocks aren't keeping the springs under control... it almost feels like a normal car with blown shocks... that bouncy feeling you get.

I've been looking at the Bilstein Z51 shocks which are around $400 for the set. Is there a better option WITHIN that price bracket?

Also... I've always assumed that springs/shocks were matched... yet the spring rates changed on the Corvette essentially every year but the shock remained the same?
Old 04-08-2011, 03:30 PM
eogel
Burning Brakes

Received 24 Likes on 19 Posts

Used shocks are a viable option. I have some Bilstein and others that are spares from my son's racing an '88. I race an '86. If you are interested in specifically what I have, please respond to eogel@nc.rr.com. Any of them would be much cheaper.

Ed
Raleigh, NC
Old 04-09-2011, 11:26 AM
Solofast
Melting Slicks

Received 85 Likes on 71 Posts

Default Corvette Challenge Bilsteins

Be careful with Bilsteins. The Bilsteins with the "Corvette Challenge" damping are hediously stiff. I used those on my 89 and in a period of a few months things like switches and brackets were falling off of the car. Those shocks were developed for the Corvette Challenge series and are made for high speed and smooth surfaces. You can't use them on the street unless you are into serious pain and don't mind fixing things that fall off the car frequently. As an example the hatch on my car started opening for no reason when I was driving down the freeway. Took it into the dealer and when the tech took the switch out of the door frame it fell into his hands in a hundred pieces. It was pulverized.....

I'm willing to sacrifice some harshness for handling, but with those shocks I was to the point where if the event was more than 20 miles away I was driving there on the street shocks and would change to the Bilsteins at the event. Eventually sold them to Ray Meesman who used them to good effect in group 1.

Some of them are still around so be careful what valving is in the shocks you get and stay away from the Corvette Challenge damping.
Old 04-10-2011, 08:54 AM
biggrizzly
Melting Slicks

Received 29 Likes on 23 Posts
2015 C5 of Year Finalist

Default KONI SPORT - Yellow, single adjustable

I hate to respond to this thread because I can't give first hand experience with these shocks at this time because I haven't driven the car since installing them.
However, I went through an exhaustive search for shocks that would be adequate for street or autocross. I read hundreds of threads here and on the SCCA lists etc. I called Randy at DRM and others at VB&P. I took the consensus of what I was hearing and made a decision to buy the KONI SPORT, Yellow Single Adjustable Shock for my 1994. I shopped around and found a set of four at Tire Rack for just over $525 shipped. I know that is a little out of your price range you specified but it was a little out of mine as well. I truly hope they work up to my expectations.

I just thought I'd pass along what I had decided. Just another opinion. After I road test them later this spring I will give some more first hand experience.

Last edited by biggrizzly; 04-10-2011 at 08:56 AM.
Old 04-10-2011, 06:08 PM
Rag Top
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Adjustable shocks are nice, if you can find/afford them. I bought a set of Koni double adjustable shocks used. They are great; you turn them up at the track and down for the ride home.

I have run Bilsteins as well, with very good results. If you are running '84 springs, be sure to get ones that work with those springs. The rear is by far the stiffest ever used in a C4 (factory), which made them ride EXTREMELY HARSH on the street. If you are sure you want to run that rear spring, consider getting an adjustable rear shock. This will let you adjust it between street and track.
Old 04-10-2011, 06:26 PM
Wasserott
Pro

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Give Randy at DRM a call. My C4 had his shocks and my buddy still uses his shocks on his C4 track car...ready very quick!
Old 04-11-2011, 01:50 PM
USAsOnlyWay
Le Mans Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

DRM no longer makes their coil-overs for early C4s. They probably do still do shocks though and would be a good choice.

Biggrizz... Koni only makes reds for early C4s, not yellows. Again, So it goes for an early C4.

I have the "Morocca" valved/Xtreme shocks like Solofast has. I have them on my 86 with base FE1 springs... they are VERY stiff as he reports. I haven't had the same extent of problems (fingers crossed) with some occasional street driving though I'd be lying if I didn't tell you I have to check the targa bolts a bit more frequently and I've had my rearview mirror fall off before...

Ed, sent you an e-mail to see if you have any springs also...
Old 04-11-2011, 11:59 PM
Crepitus
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Does anybody know what the Morocca, Challange and Z51 valving is?

Get notified of new replies

To C4 Shock Options (1985)

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: C4 Shock Options (1985)