Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Aggressive Street Tire Alignment

Search this Thread

Old 04-09-2011, 04:50 PM
LouisvilleZ06
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Aggressive Street Tire Alignment

Im going to be running in my local regions "Street Tire Open" Class, the class basicaly allows any car with any modifications so long as it rides on tires with a UTOG of 140 or above. Im looking for advice on an aggressive alignment for Autocross for use with street tires, there seems to be plenty of infomartion on all-out alignments for use in Super Stock with the Hoosier A6, but I'm looking for something that I can get away with driving on the street in terms of tire wear and that is appropriate for non race rubber.

Anyone got any thoughts on where to start, ill be getting the car Aligned and Corner Weighted sometime in the next month.
Old 04-09-2011, 06:41 PM
UstaB-GS549
Drifting

Received 62 Likes on 52 Posts

As long as you keep your front toe settings within reason, you won't sacrifice much in tire wear with lots of camber.

I have run -2 degrees camber in front without much problem... well once I had 3/8" toe out which was good for turn-in but took a lot off the inside of the tires. Another time more recently I ran 3/4" toe-in and suffered excessive front tire wear. Both times the toes settings were not intentional.

Do a search and you will find good specs.
Old 04-09-2011, 06:49 PM
LouisvilleZ06
Advanced

I guess i'm looking to find out how much toe I can get away with. also, will I need to buy a camber kit of any type like what Pfadt sells, or will the stock adjustment get me enough (i've heard you can do as much as 2.5 degrees on the stock suspension, not sure how it works yet though)
Old 04-09-2011, 06:58 PM
davidfarmer
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 713 Likes on 494 Posts

I don't know what the stickiest tire 140 UTOG would be.....but a true street tire doesn't need a huge amount of camber. A stock setup will give you -2.2 in almost all cases, sometimes close to -3.0, but I don't think you would need that much with a real street tire. Probably around -1.8 -2.0 is as much as you would really benefit from unless you are planning on running super low pressures

What tire are you thinking of running?
Old 04-09-2011, 07:11 PM
gkmccready
Safety Car

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

FWIW, I'm running R888s with -1.75deg front, -1.25deg rear. A smidge of toe-in front (1/64? 1/32?) and 1/16 toe-in rear. Poly bushings. The wear isn't bad. I drive the same set of wheels & tires to work as I do to (and on) the track...
Old 04-09-2011, 07:48 PM
LouisvilleZ06
Advanced

Originally Posted by davidfarmer
I don't know what the stickiest tire 140 UTOG would be.....but a true street tire doesn't need a huge amount of camber. A stock setup will give you -2.2 in almost all cases, sometimes close to -3.0, but I don't think you would need that much with a real street tire. Probably around -1.8 -2.0 is as much as you would really benefit from unless you are planning on running super low pressures

What tire are you thinking of running?
I'm currently running the Nitto NT05 with 275 Front and 295 Rear. I've looked high and low and the stickiest tires available in sizes that will fit on the C5Z are Nitto NT05's, Falken 615K's and Kuhmo Ecsta XS's. I'll Probably be switching to the Kuhmo Ecsta XS since Its available in 285fr 315 rear. Its possible that the Nitto's are a bit stickier, but the Kuhmo's offer alot more rubber due to the available sizing

I was thinking something like

Front
-2.2 Camber
Max Caster
1/8th toe out

Rear
-1.5 Camber
1/16 toe in

Would that be Acceptable?
Old 04-09-2011, 07:50 PM
Z06trackman
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I ran NT-05s two years ago in the SCCA street tire class. I used the same alignment as I do now with A6s (-2.2F & -1.5R with 3/16" toe-in rear, front zero). I didn't think I had too much chamber, but I admit to not experimenting. I put the rear toe in at the course and took it out before the ride home.

If there was a long time between events, and I was planning serious street mileage, I took the chamber down to -1.0F and -0.5R with 1/16" toe-in rear. Maybe I didn't have to do that, but I realy like some rear toe for canyon carving, and I align myself and tires are expensive. I also did a few track days on those tires with an "in-between alignment" (-1.5F and -1.0R and 1/8" rear toe). When I tossed the tires they were worn evenly.

Last edited by Z06trackman; 04-09-2011 at 08:00 PM.
Old 04-09-2011, 08:01 PM
LouisvilleZ06
Advanced

Whats the best method for changing alignments at the event? premarking them when you get the alignment?
Old 04-09-2011, 10:34 PM
Solofast
Melting Slicks

Received 85 Likes on 71 Posts

Originally Posted by LouisvilleZ06
Whats the best method for changing alignments at the event? premarking them when you get the alignment?
Set it with 1/8 of an inch of toe in and mark the tie rod ends. Then when you go to the event, crank in one full turn of toe out on each side. That will take you to about 1/8 of an inch of total toe out.

Crank it back to the same point when you are done.

I run -2 in the front and -1.5 in the back and the tire wear is very tolerable on the street. Messing with camber and caster is too much work and the gain in tire wear isn't worth that much effort. As noted above, toe is what eats tires on the street, so just toe it in for street driving and toe it back out for the events. After 10,000 miles flip the tires on the rims if they are showing more wear on the insides.
Old 04-10-2011, 01:00 AM
Rob31
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

[QUOTE=LouisvilleZ06;1577300524]I'm currently running the Nitto NT05 with 275 Front and 295 Rear. I've looked high and low and the stickiest tires available in sizes that will fit on the C5Z are Nitto NT05's, Falken 615K's and Kuhmo Ecsta XS's. I'll Probably be switching to the Kuhmo Ecsta XS since Its available in 285fr 315 rear. Its possible that the Nitto's are a bit stickier, but the Kuhmo's offer alot more rubber due to the available sizing

I was thinking something like

Front
-2.2 Camber
Max Caster
1/8th toe out

Rear
-1.5 Camber
1/16 toe in

Would that be Acceptable?[/QUOTE

Whats the wear rating on the Nit NT-05 ? Could not find it on there site
Old 04-10-2011, 09:28 AM
jlutherva
Drifting

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

You may want to go to the Pfadt web site and look at their specs. I've been dealing with the alignment issue also.

Jim
Old 04-10-2011, 05:36 PM
Rag Top
Instructor

I have heard rumors that the Kuhmo Ecsta XS's has an artificially high tread wear rating. They did that to help people in stock classes. I have not run them, but the people I have seen running them have great grip.

As for the alignment, you really need to see how the tires respond to your driving style. (ie. Sumitomos need more negative camber due to soft sidewalls) -1.5 camber in the front is a safe place to start. 0 toe (toe out if you are feeling daring - but a little goes a LONG way) I would say -1 camber in the back, but I have experience tire wear at -1.5 (but I run it anyway)
Old 04-10-2011, 06:43 PM
Rob31
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Rag Top
I have heard rumors that the Kuhmo Ecsta XS's has an artificially high tread wear rating. They did that to help people in stock classes. I have not run them, but the people I have seen running them have great grip.

As for the alignment, you really need to see how the tires respond to your driving style. (ie. Sumitomos need more negative camber due to soft sidewalls) -1.5 camber in the front is a safe place to start. 0 toe (toe out if you are feeling daring - but a little goes a LONG way) I would say -1 camber in the back, but I have experience tire wear at -1.5 (but I run it anyway)
I strongly disagree with that statement . After a year on my Kumo xs, very little wear .
Old 04-10-2011, 08:06 PM
TMyers
Race Director

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I have ran Kuhmo XS for the last 2 years, autocross only including to and from the track, say about 3000 miles total. Wear is very even with the following alignment:

Front
-1.5 Camber
Max Caster
0 toe out

Rear
-1 Camber
1/16 toe in

After 2 years I am very close to the wear bars. Will not get much more out of them.
Old 04-10-2011, 10:58 PM
Rag Top
Instructor

Originally Posted by Rob31
I strongly disagree with that statement . After a year on my Kumo xs, very little wear .
From the Kumho rep.
I didn't say they would wear out fast. I had around 10K miles, which included road trips, autocross, and track days, on NT01s (100 treadwear). I just said that they are stickier than their tread wear suggests.

Get notified of new replies

To Aggressive Street Tire Alignment

Quick Reply: Aggressive Street Tire Alignment