Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Junk Yard Dog Corvette makes its' debut, with pics

Search this Thread

Old 04-11-2011, 09:50 AM
bosco022
Drifting

Received 79 Likes on 41 Posts

Default Junk Yard Dog Corvette makes its' debut, with pics

Our budget tube frame C6 built to Rolex rules made its' debut at PBIR April 2 & 3 with the V8 Series & Fl Region SCCA. Serious storms in the central Fl area prevented us from making the test day. The first time she turned a wheel under her own power was the Saturday Qualifying.
A plug wire making contact with the header quickly aborted that run.

Had to start in the back for the Saturday race, this was the first time I had raced at the new PBIR. Moved up several positions on lap 1 and 2 but noticed the oil temp seemed kinda high, despite the water temp at about 210. came in midway to let Woody check it. Also, the Continental tires that were take offs from the "roar before the 24" were hard as concrete and the result was a horrible push.

Woody adjusted/reduced the negative camber, put on a better/softer set of used conti's and unhooked the rear sway bar.

Had to start near the rear of the field for the 15 lap race. Now had a few laps on the track so now knew kinda where to go. At the start picked off a couple cars in turn one, two or three more by six and by lap three was up to sixth overall, on the bumper of Dell Haverland's STO/V8 GT-2 Vette. We had one of those stock car type gas pedals with the rollers instead of a typical pedal. we forgot to put a stop for the pedal and at least once a lap my foot would come right off the pedal. This would lose about a second each time. Frustrating!

Beginning lap sixth and looking like I had enough to soon get by Dell's Corvette, the car suddenly just quit. I coasted off into a safe spot and watched the rest of the race from the car.

It appears we lost ground to the fuel pumps. Should be easily remedied.

Didn't get many laps in but got a lot figured out for next time.

The good: she tracked well in a straight line, had decent power, excellent brakes, the T101A shifted superbly.

The bad: bad push with old rubber and too much camber. Power seemed a bit less than my LS1 stock car....which is about right.

Best lap coming through slower traffic and an old guy being somewhat careful with his new and expensive toy, was 1.27, well below what the car is capable of. I think with new rubber, tweaking, a younger, faster driver she can run sub 1.22 at PBIR. I'll guess and say a top flight Rolex GT car would do 1.18's.

Hope to make some changes, get some fresh rubber and take her out again soon.

Old 04-11-2011, 09:55 AM
bosco022
Drifting

Bemco fabricator, Steve Branton takes a look at the troublesome gas pedal.

Old 04-11-2011, 10:03 AM
bosco022
Drifting

My partner, Squeak Kennedy (seated in golf cart) was a proud papa this weekend as son Bobby picked up his first V8 Series win in his first start. bobby was driving our LS1 powered stock car. Bobby, just 17 started racing in quarter midgets where he excelled, move to short track FASCAR Pro Trucks to SCCA Showroom stock. He won a regional championship in his first year road racing. He is a SHOE! Gonna be a fine one. He had never seen PBIR before, never raced anything as powerful as the stock car and yet was almost immediatley one of the fastest cars at the track. Only Dave Machavern's 800 HP Tommy Riggins built GT-1 Corvette was significantly quicker.

Old 04-11-2011, 10:18 AM
CHJ In Virginia
Safety Car

Received 27 Likes on 24 Posts

Teething problems on a new build can be a PITA. Once you get the initial items sorted out that car will be a monster. Wish you were in my area, I would love to see it run - ever coming up to VIR ?
Old 04-11-2011, 11:01 AM
John Shiels
Team Owner

Location: Buy USA products! Check the label! Employ Americans
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Good Luck!
Old 04-11-2011, 11:46 AM
Everett Ogilvie
Melting Slicks

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Nice shakedown! Sounds like you are there Boss!
Old 04-11-2011, 04:23 PM
bosco022
Drifting

Dave Machavern picked up his 30th win in V8 Competition in his Riggins
GT-1 Corvette. Probably the last ride for Dave and her as his new
Riggins Ford GT-1 is almost ready.

If somebody wants a super fast GT-1/Trans Am ride for less than the build of a STO car, its' available. Has all the Riggins updates and 800 plus HP. This is a serious racer!

Old 04-11-2011, 06:12 PM
bosco022
Drifting

Originally Posted by CHJ In Virginia
Teething problems on a new build can be a PITA. Once you get the initial items sorted out that car will be a monster. Wish you were in my area, I would love to see it run - ever coming up to VIR ?
We are planning to be at VIR on the Grand Am Weekend, may 14-15, running with the V8 StockCar Series. Have to be in Nasville for daughters grad. from Vandy law on the 13th and then drive straight to VIR. We will be at Road Atlanta for the Mitty with our stock car April 28- May 1
Old 04-11-2011, 06:27 PM
Racer-38
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

WHy isn't the vette coming to the Mitty?
Old 04-11-2011, 06:56 PM
bosco022
Drifting

Originally Posted by Racer-38
WHy isn't the vette coming to the Mitty?
can't afford to take it to both, so aiming for VIR. Squeak is funding the stock car at RA. Is Ed running the Mitty as well?

Get notified of new replies

To Junk Yard Dog Corvette makes its' debut, with pics

Quick Reply: Junk Yard Dog Corvette makes its' debut, with pics