Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

My LS6 is running strong, but a little funny....

Search this Thread

Old 04-12-2011, 07:42 PM
Olitho
Le Mans Master

Received 355 Likes on 222 Posts

Default My LS6 is running strong, but a little funny....

I have a new crate engine in my T1 car. It is running strong in the mid-range to top-end at 7100 RPM, but it is not quite right.

In mid RPM range, around 2500-4000 RPM and less than full throttle it runs kind of like a loaded up two stroke and then as I put my foot into the throttle near full or more and as it crest 4000 RPM the somewhat blubbering exhaust note clears up and she takes off... kinda' like a two stroke, but not as pronounced.

I did get the engine retuned as the crate engine went in two months ago. I don't recall this problem at my first two races at WSIR, but I did notice it my past two track days including this past Sunday at Buttonwillow. I have our biggest local double national race coming up in three weeks at BRP so I want to have this cleared up.

I plan to take the car to RPM Motorsports on Friday and have them refine the tune then. We kept it ever so slightly rich during the break-in period. I will have them look at it too.

It is not throwing any codes.

Any ideas?

Oli
Old 04-12-2011, 08:20 PM
davidfarmer
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 709 Likes on 490 Posts

o2 sensor would be a guess
Old 04-12-2011, 08:21 PM
Frozen
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The tune is dumping to much fuel down low?
Old 04-12-2011, 09:02 PM
vette6aut0x
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by davidfarmer
Should have a code I would think. Check the plug wires and make sure they are snapped on correctly. I have had this happen to me.
Old 04-12-2011, 09:23 PM
varkwso
Le Mans Master

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by davidfarmer
If you have headers and cross the front O2 sensor wires it does this (they are not supposed to cross) - no codes - but runs crappy when not WOT.

Ask me how I know
Old 04-12-2011, 09:28 PM
drivinhard
Racer
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

got access to HP Tuners or EFIlive scanner? best way to see what's going on...make it act up and log it
Old 04-12-2011, 10:41 PM
SouthernSon
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,101 Likes on 715 Posts

I get nervous when fuel trim does strange things in the 4k rpm range since melting numer 7 last year. My rpm demonstrated a hiccup in the 4000-4500 before letting go. Transition wasn't quite right.
Old 04-13-2011, 10:04 AM
96CollectorSport
Melting Slicks

Location: If you don't weigh in you don't wrestle Road America
Received 73 Likes on 54 Posts

Ohm out the plug wires - if it's only happening at "lower" RPM it may be loading up because of that. I've had to replace wires in the past.
Old 04-13-2011, 10:23 AM
travisnd
Safety Car

Received 18 Likes on 10 Posts

Check over all the stupid stuff... not that uncommon to leave a plug wire partially unseated on the rear cylinders.
Old 04-13-2011, 10:54 AM
Oyishdog
Melting Slicks

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by travisnd
Check over all the stupid stuff... not that uncommon to leave a plug wire partially unseated on the rear cylinders.
Old 04-13-2011, 11:23 AM
redtopz
Melting Slicks

Received 44 Likes on 27 Posts

Originally Posted by varkwso
If you have headers and cross the front O2 sensor wires it does this (they are not supposed to cross) - no codes - but runs crappy when not WOT.

Ask me how I know
That is great info! I am having this problem with my new crate LS6 and I noticed the O2 sensors are crossed and they didn't used to be. Car runs weird at WOT and kind of feels like a slipping clutch or misfire. BTW, how do you know? I'm also pulling code P0343 - cam position sensor high input voltage. Hopefully it's just a bad sensor or bad connection.

Oli, I agree plug wires and plugs would be the first place to look and then do some logging with hp tuners.

Edit: just re-read varkwso's post and noticed you said it only runs bad when not at WOT, so maybe that's not my problem.

Last edited by redtopz; 04-13-2011 at 11:26 AM.
Old 04-13-2011, 11:35 AM
travisnd
Safety Car

^ The front O2 sensors are not supposed to be crossed, the rears are. Some LT headers only use the front O2s but move the bungs farther back and people mistakenly cross them side to side.

The rear O2s just check that the cats are working so on my build I plugged the holes and deleted them with HPTuners... onle less thing to worry about when dropping the H-pipe.

Old 04-13-2011, 11:51 AM
redtopz
Melting Slicks

Received 44 Likes on 27 Posts

Originally Posted by travisnd
^ The front O2 sensors are not supposed to be crossed, the rears are. Some LT headers only use the front O2s but move the bungs farther back and people mistakenly cross them side to side.

The rear O2s just check that the cats are working so on my build I plugged the holes and deleted them with HPTuners... onle less thing to worry about when dropping the H-pipe.
Thanks. Yes, I only have the front O2 sensors and they are crossed. The rears are plugged. However, I'm not sure if my tune even uses any O2 sensors at all so I will have to check that out.
Old 04-13-2011, 11:52 AM
travisnd
Safety Car

Originally Posted by redtopz
Thanks. Yes, I only have the front O2 sensors and they are crossed. The rears are plugged. However, I'm not sure if my tune even uses any O2 sensors at all so I will have to check that out.
If your car is tuned in Speed Density then it doesn't use the MAF or the O2s at all... just the MAP sensor at the back of the intake manifold.
Old 04-13-2011, 01:20 PM
RX-Ben
Safety Car

Received 14 Likes on 9 Posts

Running speed density is unrelated to use of the front O2s, it only affects whether the MAF is used. Open vs. closed loop involves the O2 sensors. You can run speed density in either closed (during idle/partial throttle) or open loop.
Old 04-13-2011, 02:49 PM
travisnd
Safety Car

Originally Posted by RX-Ben
Running speed density is unrelated to use of the front O2s, it only affects whether the MAF is used. Open vs. closed loop involves the O2 sensors. You can run speed density in either closed (during idle/partial throttle) or open loop.
You're right... been awhile since I messed w/ SD. My old cammed Z06 was tuned in SD to get the around town manners back.
Old 04-13-2011, 03:00 PM
RX-Ben
Safety Car

You can always retune the MAF as well, to give you the benefits of the OEM hybrid MAF/SD system.

Anyway - Oli - as mentioned, you need a log file to figure out what is going on, with a wideband would be ideal. May be a PITA, but way easier than swapping in a new engine.

Get notified of new replies

To My LS6 is running strong, but a little funny....

Old 04-13-2011, 03:04 PM
mgarfias
Drifting

Received 30 Likes on 24 Posts

Oli, pick up an innovate LC-1, they're fairly cheap, and theres a hack where you put one of its outputs into the unused-on-the-c5 egr input on the PCM (pin 55 on the blue connector IIRC), that lets you log AFR via the obd2 port instead of a separate cable.
Old 04-13-2011, 03:17 PM
RX-Ben
Safety Car

The LC-1 is kind of sketchy (reliability, accuracy). Power AFX seems to be the best bet for a budget wideband. But, if you don't have a HPTuners already, I'd bring it somewhere that knows LS engines, do a dyno pull and ask for the log file and see if they notice anything amiss.
Old 04-13-2011, 03:19 PM
travisnd
Safety Car

Originally Posted by RX-Ben
The LC-1 is kind of sketchy (reliability, accuracy). Power AFX seems to be the best bet for a budget wideband. But, if you don't have a HPTuners already, I'd bring it somewhere that knows LS engines, do a dyno pull and ask for the log file and see if they notice anything amiss.
If your car was tuned by Charlie @ RPM I doubt it's the tune... I've never met the guy but everything I've ever read about their operation has been positiive. I'm sure they can help you pinpoint what's going on

Quick Reply: My LS6 is running strong, but a little funny....