Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

HELP: Having trouble getting the roof halo seperated from the roof. Ideas?

Search this Thread

Old 04-13-2011, 12:44 AM
travisnd
Safety Car

Received 18 Likes on 10 Posts
Default HELP: Having trouble getting the roof halo seperated from the roof. Ideas?

Ok.... roof is off, but having a heck of a time getting the halo separated from the roof panel. I've used cable saws to cut down the vertical parts to the bends, but have hit harder adhesive and can't get much farther. I'm considering cutting out the rib in front of the halo to get better access.... any ideas?

Old 04-13-2011, 07:47 AM
drivinhard
Racer
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

check out equalizer, they make nice windshield cutting wire. I can't remember what I used for that (their square kind?) but it went right through it.
Old 04-13-2011, 09:19 AM
travisnd
Safety Car

Originally Posted by drivinhard
check out equalizer, they make nice windshield cutting wire. I can't remember what I used for that (their square kind?) but it went right through it.
I just googled it and it appears to be what I already have (the cable saw), but the fact that the ends come off and it has that wire starter is a big help. I can't get the cable saws I have through the adhesive on the horizontal part to event start cutting.

Looking over Equalizers website and the cost of the kit and the various cutting tools it might be cheaper just to have the glass guy come back and cut it out.

EDIT: This square wire setup looks like it'd to way better than simple braded wire like the other kits....

Did you have to order it or did you find it local to you?

Last edited by travisnd; 04-13-2011 at 09:43 AM.
Old 04-13-2011, 09:43 AM
drivinhard
Racer
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

they have more than just the cable saw, they have various kinds of cut out wire.

$25 for their square wire kit.

https://www.equalizerfusion.com/Prod...z80dXSjtoVwRmQ

I used their regular wire and their square wire and one of them cut really well (I can't remember).
Old 04-13-2011, 09:45 AM
travisnd
Safety Car

Originally Posted by drivinhard
they have more than just the cable saw, they have various kinds of cut out wire.

$25 for their square wire kit.

https://www.equalizerfusion.com/Prod...z80dXSjtoVwRmQ

I used their regular wire and their square wire and one of them cut really well (I can't remember).
You have to order it or you find it locally? Just looking at the shape I'd think the square would cut better, but you'd have to be more careful so as to not cut into surrounding stuff, but in this case I can keep it tight against the metal.

I almost started cutting more of the metal out but I'd really like to keep it intact so the cage builder has a guide for how high the main hoop can be etc.
Old 04-13-2011, 10:25 AM
96CollectorSport
Melting Slicks

Location: If you don't weigh in you don't wrestle Road America
Received 73 Likes on 54 Posts

If you want to do it faster I used a Sawzall and a small air powered rociprocating saw, but took a blade to the grinder so that the blade is more knife-like but still has the seration. Sometimes you have to bend the blade to make it around the fiberglass.
Then while you are cutting have someone spray aresol silicone spray on the blade. It buzzes through it like butter.
Old 04-13-2011, 10:41 AM
travisnd
Safety Car

Cool... I have a sawzall and was considering bending one of my blades to mimic some of the tools the glass guy had. Thanks for the tip on the silicone... will do that.
Old 04-13-2011, 11:39 AM
96CollectorSport
Melting Slicks

Location: If you don't weigh in you don't wrestle Road America
Received 73 Likes on 54 Posts

As with a lot of things lubrication is key this won't work without the silicone spray. Once the blade gets hot the adhesive will just grab the blade. Also you need to knifecut the blade so it moves through the adhesive easier.
Old 04-13-2011, 11:46 AM
travisnd
Safety Car

Yeah... I took my sawzall with metal cutting blade to the passenger vertical part last night and vibrated the roof off the horses... didn't damage anything, but scared myself as everything went into slow motion as the roof fell and I envisioned it breaking somehow.

I have a buddy coming over after work this evening to help me hold thing thing in place while I cut. Going to probably go and buy a small pnuematic recip saw to add to the tool collection and going to cut out the rib in front of the halo and the ribs along the window openings first. Was going to cut out all of that to make more room for the cage bars anyway.

PMed you on the saw setup... take a look if you have the time.
Old 04-13-2011, 12:05 PM
travisnd
Safety Car

Just sold the door control modules from the car... now to go buy one of these... yes I have a tool addiction

Old 04-13-2011, 02:51 PM
travisnd
Safety Car

Well going to have to try and make due with my current tools... Sears and Northern tool didn't have pnuematic reciprocating saws in stock.
Old 04-13-2011, 03:20 PM
Falcon
Le Mans Master

Received 54 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by travisnd
Well going to have to try and make due with my current tools... Sears and Northern tool didn't have pnuematic reciprocating saws in stock.
Hello, Harbor Freight.
Old 04-13-2011, 03:33 PM
travisnd
Safety Car

Originally Posted by Falcon
Hello, Harbor Freight.
Unfortunatley the closest China Town is about 30 min away from my work whereas Sears and Northern (China Town Lite) are less than 5 min down the road. Had to get my butt back to work.

I'm going to cut off the support ribs tonight and then bend a sawzall blade to make it off-set and have a buddy come over and hold the roof while I cut. Should be able to get it. Oh and lots of spray lube
Old 04-13-2011, 09:11 PM
travisnd
Safety Car

Success! Cable saw, lots of silicone spray, and my buddy's assistance did the trick...

Old 04-13-2011, 10:52 PM
davidfarmer
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 709 Likes on 490 Posts

so which are you putting back on, the OEM b-pillar or a cage with just the skin..?
Old 04-14-2011, 12:34 AM
travisnd
Safety Car

Originally Posted by davidfarmer
so which are you putting back on, the OEM b-pillar or a cage with just the skin..?
Cage with just the skin.... I wanted to get the stock halo out in one piece so the cage builder could use it as a guide for where the main hoop needs to be. It took a couple more hours but got all the adhesive removed and test fit the roof to see how thick the weather stripping needs to be up front and around the rear to make it somewhat water-proof. Only thing left to do is finish trimming the side ribs off when I have time to do it outside.... my dremel is the best tool for precise cuts but it makes major dust out of the SMC.

A few hours of elbow grease and I'll have and end product similar to the race roof skins, but one that will just bolt in place w/o any re-engineering and the ability to re-use the OEM glass and windshield frame. Oh and I'm going to trim some of the excess meat off the A-pillars to get the cage as roomy as possible.

Coming along nicely so far... taking the car to the cage builder on May 1st.
Old 04-15-2011, 12:24 AM
travisnd
Safety Car

Roof panel trimming done.. much more room for the cage.... I was a tinge too aggressive with trying to pry the longitudinal epoxy strips off and put a couple tiny stress cracks in the roof, but you'd have to be specifically looking for them to find them.

The roof is still very stiff

Get notified of new replies

To HELP: Having trouble getting the roof halo seperated from the roof. Ideas?

Quick Reply: HELP: Having trouble getting the roof halo seperated from the roof. Ideas?