Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

C6 tire question

Search this Thread

Old 04-13-2011, 06:52 AM
pratner
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default C6 tire question

So running in the stock class of nccc in autocrossing and going for points. Right now I'm running on some firestone runflats and am about to order some wheels and tires for the track. I'm very limited on what I can do to stay in the stock class, I know I have to stay with stock wheel size which are the 18 in front and 19 in back, and I know I have to stay on street tires so which tires do you guys recommend that will fit the 19's and give the most grip. Guys I'm running against are running kuhmo Ekstas (or something like that) I didn't know if there is anything better that will fit the wheel size. Thanks in advance.
Old 04-24-2011, 04:52 PM
stormgti
Heel & Toe

Bridgestone R-11, tread wear 180 will give you good traction on track and street will fit OME wheel size.
Old 04-24-2011, 07:16 PM
TorontoC6
Racer

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

RE-11's get my vote.

Do you have to stay stock size? I run 265 front 305 rear. I put them on last year, ran 8 track days, and 7500km's last year and hope they last most of this season.

Another suggestion would be the Kumho XS.
Old 04-24-2011, 09:30 PM
NASCAR314
Drifting

Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts

The Kumho Ecsta XS is the best "bang for the buck" Damm good tire! available in stock sizes as well.

The Bridgestone Potenza RE-11 is great as well, costs a little more.

As for sizes, in NCCC you can go up or down 10mm in width, and up or down 5 on the aspect ratio (sidewall), so if you go with RE-11's you can run a 255/35ZR18 on the fronts, stock wheels, and stock size on rear. (285/35ZR19) Probably the "Hot Ticket" in group 1S at the moment.
Old 04-24-2011, 10:29 PM
avizandum
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by NASCAR314
The Kumho Ecsta XS is the best "bang for the buck" Damm good tire! available in stock sizes as well.

The Bridgestone Potenza RE-11 is great as well, costs a little more.

As for sizes, in NCCC you can go up or down 10mm in width, and up or down 5 on the aspect ratio (sidewall), so if you go with RE-11's you can run a 255/35ZR18 on the fronts, stock wheels, and stock size on rear. (285/35ZR19) Probably the "Hot Ticket" in group 1S at the moment.
The 255's with a 285 will throw off the rake and for 10mm it's not worth it...

For autocross only, I'd take the Bridgestones. I've run both.
Old 04-25-2011, 09:03 PM
NASCAR314
Drifting

Originally Posted by avizandum
The 255's with a 285 will throw off the rake and for 10mm it's not worth it...
25.7" dia. for the 245-40-18
25.0" dia. for the 255-35-18

so your front end will drop approx. 0.35" (less than 3/8")

For "Street" class, 1SK in NCCC autocross, I don't think the change in rake will matter......my opinion anyway. But for only gaining 10mm in width, it is pretty irrelevant either way. Splittin' hairs here. The Kumho Ecsta XS's will be about $175 less (per set) than the Bridgestone's if that makes a difference to you.
Old 04-25-2011, 09:22 PM
TrollRoadToNoWhere
5th Gear

Originally Posted by pratner
So running in the stock class of nccc in autocrossing and going for points. Right now I'm running on some firestone runflats and am about to order some wheels and tires for the track. I'm very limited on what I can do to stay in the stock class, I know I have to stay with stock wheel size which are the 18 in front and 19 in back, and I know I have to stay on street tires so which tires do you guys recommend that will fit the 19's and give the most grip. Guys I'm running against are running kuhmo Ekstas (or something like that) I didn't know if there is anything better that will fit the wheel size. Thanks in advance.
If you really wanted performance, you would ditch the factory 18/19 and go with some 26" spinners. The low profile of the tire will offset the higher weight. Plus it will look dope. Yo. Forget the rules, rules were meant to be broken.
Old 04-25-2011, 09:22 PM
Bob Troll
2nd Gear

Default Re:

running in the stock class of nccc in autocrossing and going for points. Right now I'm running on some firestone runflats and am about to order some wheels and tires for the track. I'm very limited on what I can do to stay in the stock class, I know I have to stay with stock wheel size which are the 18 in front and 19 in back, and I know I have to stay on street tires so which tires do you guys recommend that will fit the 19's and give the most grip. Guys I'm running against are running kuhmo Ekstas (or something like that) I didn't know if there is anything better that will fit the wheel size. Thanks in advance.

The Kuhmo Ekstas are a mighty fine tire, but I find the Kuhmo Estratas being better due to them sticking to the road better and also helping the gear manifold rotate at a much higher acceleration. When racing, because I'm always racing, I make sure my mud flaps are high and tight and lowered about 7 inches, the lowering of the mud flaps helps the gear manifold rotate, too. I hope this helps, and as Dale Jarrett always said, "When you are running against guys with Kuhmo Ekstas, it's always best to have Kuhmo Estratas!"
Old 04-25-2011, 09:28 PM
TrollRoadToNoWhere
5th Gear

Originally Posted by Bob Troll
running in the stock class of nccc in autocrossing and going for points. Right now I'm running on some firestone runflats and am about to order some wheels and tires for the track. I'm very limited on what I can do to stay in the stock class, I know I have to stay with stock wheel size which are the 18 in front and 19 in back, and I know I have to stay on street tires so which tires do you guys recommend that will fit the 19's and give the most grip. Guys I'm running against are running kuhmo Ekstas (or something like that) I didn't know if there is anything better that will fit the wheel size. Thanks in advance.

The Kuhmo Ekstas are a mighty fine tire, but I find the Kuhmo Estratas being better due to them sticking to the road better and also helping the gear manifold rotate at a much higher acceleration. When racing, because I'm always racing, I make sure my mud flaps are high and tight and lowered about 7 inches, the lowering of the mud flaps helps the gear manifold rotate, too. I hope this helps, and as Dale Jarrett always said, "When you are running against guys with Kuhmo Ekstas, it's always best to have Kuhmo Estratas!"
Bob-
Excellent point. However, if you lower too much, ie 7" the spinners will take out the mudflaps. You probably wanna go 5" at most, otherwise your spark tube will prematurely wear the Kuhmo Estratas. Seeing as they retail for over $200 per tire, this could get quite expensive. Keep that in mind OP.
Old 04-26-2011, 07:15 AM
pratner
Advanced

Haha, alright I do appreciate the help guys, looking between the ecsta or r-11. Seems to be my only two options with that size rim. In your opinion are the r-11's worth the extra money?
Old 04-26-2011, 10:23 PM
NASCAR314
Drifting

Originally Posted by pratner
Haha, alright I do appreciate the help guys, looking between the ecsta or r-11. Seems to be my only two options with that size rim. In your opinion are the r-11's worth the extra money?
I have only run the Kumho Ecsta XS, .....several sets worth. So that is pretty much my opinion. People who have run the RE-11's say they are better. But they bought them.

I DO KNOW the Kumho's love heat, so if you are down South, you may like them as well. Wheel alignment is critical also. These C6's like to push in the front, add some neg. camber and as much caster as you can get.

Get notified of new replies

To C6 tire question

Quick Reply: C6 tire question