Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

C4 windshield

Search this Thread

Old 04-17-2011, 06:50 PM
GS023
Drifting

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Default C4 windshield

Need to put a new windshield in my 96 track car. Anyone ever installed a plastic one?

Thanks
Old 04-17-2011, 08:09 PM
ScaryFast
Safety Car

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

Yes, 5/16 Lexan. What do you need to know, where to get it, how to install it, does it work?
Old 04-17-2011, 08:31 PM
GS023
Drifting

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by ScaryFast
Yes, 5/16 Lexan. What do you need to know, where to get it, how to install it, does it work?
All of the above. What about trim?

Thanks
Old 04-17-2011, 08:37 PM
eogel
Burning Brakes

Received 24 Likes on 19 Posts

Be aware that Lexan scratches easily. I have had several in my C4 race car and have gone back to glass because of the scratches. Have no trim or moldings on it.
Old 04-17-2011, 09:12 PM
John Shiels
Team Owner

Location: Buy USA products! Check the label! Employ Americans
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by eogel
Be aware that Lexan scratches easily. I have had several in my C4 race car and have gone back to glass because of the scratches. Have no trim or moldings on it.
anyone ever try MR10?
Old 04-18-2011, 09:24 AM
ScaryFast
Safety Car

Interesting, Ed. I've had the same one for four or five years now and don't notice any scratches, just lots of tire rubber marks Do you use the special lexan cleaner?

I didn't use any trim, just masked and painted around the edge (on the underside) so it looks better, more "factory". To install you really need the little spring loaded fasteners that locate the windshield before you permanently mount it. I drilled and tapped into the stock frame. I always meant to go back and install T-nuts but it's been fine so far so I never bothered. I'd say I take it off / on about three times a season, I just make sure to thread the bolts in gently so I don't cross thread any.

It vibrates over 100 mph or so, but a center support would solve that. It's on the "To do" list.

I got it from melrose in Chicago.

Last edited by ScaryFast; 04-18-2011 at 09:27 AM.
Old 04-18-2011, 09:40 AM
jwt1603
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 196 Likes on 132 Posts

Originally Posted by ScaryFast
Interesting, Ed. I've had the same one for four or five years now and don't notice any scratches, just lots of tire rubber marks Do you use the special lexan cleaner?

I didn't use any trim, just masked and painted around the edge (on the underside) so it looks better, more "factory". To install you really need the little spring loaded fasteners that locate the windshield before you permanently mount it. I drilled and tapped into the stock frame. I always meant to go back and install T-nuts but it's been fine so far so I never bothered. I'd say I take it off / on about three times a season, I just make sure to thread the bolts in gently so I don't cross thread any.

It vibrates over 100 mph or so, but a center support would solve that. It's on the "To do" list.

I got it from melrose in Chicago.
Melrose? Like Melrose t-tops? I don't see it listed on their website. Do I just call them about it?
Old 04-18-2011, 11:45 AM
ScaryFast
Safety Car

Originally Posted by jwt1603
Melrose? Like Melrose t-tops? I don't see it listed on their website. Do I just call them about it?
Correct. They don't have much C4 stuff on their site anymore. Give them a call. If they don't have them anymore, there are other places, A quick internet search should reveal a few sources.

I tried to search but the sites were blocked at work...

Get notified of new replies

To C4 windshield

Quick Reply: C4 windshield