Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Horsepower Orgy.....

Search this Thread

Old 04-17-2011, 08:57 PM
Falcon
Le Mans Master

Received 54 Likes on 23 Posts

Default Horsepower Orgy.....

Just Damn! I went to the Zmax 4 wide NHRA qualifying races Friday and Bruton Smith, the track owner, knows how to build a track! And the NHRA knows how to be fan friendly.

If you've never been to one of these big NHRA event you owe it to yourself to go. The noise, the fumes, the mechanical stuff, it's a sensory overload!

The power created by these cars is absolutely unbelievable, 8,000 hp! We stood behind them on the roof of the press building right behind the starting line when 4 of the Top Fuel dropped the hammer and it was frightening, terrifying might be a more apt description. If you don't have ear plugs/cover it could rupture your ear drums.

The shock wave set off by those cars could be felt in your chest cavity, as though someone was standing on it.

What a day.

Here are 4 Funny cars getting ready to run:

Here's video of 4 pro stockers getting it on!

Here's a team starting up a motor that had just been rebuilt.
Old 04-17-2011, 09:03 PM
BERETTA
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 113 Likes on 78 Posts

It is something you cannot explain or get the sensation from TV. Sounds like you had a great time I am watching the replay right now
Old 04-17-2011, 10:22 PM
travisnd
Safety Car

Received 18 Likes on 10 Posts

Wow... I used to go see NHRA whenever they came close to my area when in high school and college, haven't been in awhile, but it truly is amazing. I can't say I've ever seen them run 4 wide!
Old 04-18-2011, 10:10 AM
Oyishdog
Melting Slicks

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I could hear them all weekend...impressive sounding from the house. I can only imagine it in person.
Old 04-18-2011, 12:35 PM
fej
Melting Slicks

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have been pretty damn close when they ran 2 in Vegas, can't imagine what 4 would be like, especially anywhere near close to the starting line.

If you have never been there in person, it is worth a trip. Nothing on TV does it justice

Fej
Old 04-18-2011, 09:47 PM
brkntrxn
Drifting

Received 51 Likes on 42 Posts

I spent Sunday afternoon in the Speedway Club watching the NASCAR race and listening to the Richard Petty School run laps on the track. The NHRA sounds on my way into CMS was also music to my ears.

The four jet cars running side-by-side at the NMRA/NMCA event last year was cool too.

-Kevin

Get notified of new replies

To Horsepower Orgy.....

Quick Reply: Horsepower Orgy.....