Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

HELP! RAM Clutch "conversion" for C4

Search this Thread

Old 04-21-2011, 09:14 AM
RacePro Engineering
Tech Contributor

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Default HELP! RAM Clutch "conversion" for C4

Gentlemen,

We are investigating using the RAM Clutches "Conversion Kit" in our 1995 C4. (It changes the GM 1994 thru 1996 "stock" pull-to-disengage system, to a push-to-disengage system.)

After examining the RAM parts, including the questionable throw-out bearing, and the INTERNAL slave cylinder; we are wondering how relaible this package really is for the track.

QUESTIONS: From those of you using this FOR RACING - what have been your experiences and observations?

Are there other, better packages for these years (1994-1996) C4?

Are there light-flywheel, high-clamping force packages that bolt right in, without changing the direction of action of the clutch?

All learned opinions are appreciated!
Ed LoPresti

Last edited by RacePro Engineering; 04-21-2011 at 07:05 PM. Reason: Tense
Old 04-21-2011, 06:51 PM
jwt1603
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 195 Likes on 131 Posts

Originally Posted by RacePro Engineering
Gentlemen,

We are investigating using the RAM Clutches "Conversion Kit" in our 1995 C4. (It changes the GM 1994 thru 1996 "stock" pull-to-disengage system, to a push-to-disengage system.)

After examining the RAM parts, including the questionable throw-out bearing, and the INTERNAL slave cylinder; we are wondering how relaible this package really is for the track.

QUESTIONS: From those of you using this FOR RACING - what has been your experiences and observations?

Are there other, better packages for these years (1994-1996) C4?

Are there light-flywheel, high-clamping force packages that bolt right in, without changing the direction of action of the clutch?

All learned opinions are appreciated!
Ed LoPresti
In our 1994 I'm over 500HP with a 383. I went with a Spec 4 clutch and aluminum flywheel. Auto-X only car, occasional HPDE, no street time at all. Two drivers and no problems after two hard seasons.

I will say that we're planning on removing the ZF because of weight. A Tremec is a lot lighter and easier to get parts for. Plus with AutoX and HPDE we have no need of a 6th gear. And then we can get rid of the stupid C-beam.

just my opinion of course.
Old 04-21-2011, 07:22 PM
Kubs
Le Mans Master

Received 1,731 Likes on 936 Posts
2023 C5 of the Year Finalist - Modified
2022 C5 of the Year Finalist - Modified
St. Jude Donor '09-'10-'11

Contact Matt Carlyle here on the forum MRC24X

He used a RAM clutch with the Mcleod hydraulic throw out bearing on his race car. He is a very very fast driver so I would say it worked out for him.
Old 04-21-2011, 08:10 PM
RacePro Engineering
Tech Contributor

Thanks, Joe,

We appreciate hearing about alternatives like this. We'll check out Spec 4.

-------------

Hi Mike,

Mc Leod is another of the options at which we are looking. They seem to offer a plug-and-play kit, with no change in directional activation necessary.

Ed

Last edited by RacePro Engineering; 04-21-2011 at 08:13 PM.
Old 04-21-2011, 09:13 PM
mrc24x
Burning Brakes

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I bought the Ram "conversion" kit in '07. The clutch is lightweight and really nice but I thought the Ram TOB was junk. I ended up buying the expensive Mcleod TOB that mounts in place of the input collar. It's pricey but a nice product.

I switched to a 5.5" QM clutch this year so my old setup is for sale.

Ram Conversion LW Al. flywheel/PP/Clutch + Mcleod Hyd. TOB + Clutch Master Cyl. and lines. $500 to your door. Everything works great.

The Ram Kit new is $1099 and the 1345 Mcleod Bearing is $446 fwiw.

I also have my ZF6 for sale for $900 but I have a few people interested in it at the moment. (I'll know more after the weekend)

Matt

Old 04-21-2011, 09:42 PM
RacePro Engineering
Tech Contributor

Matt,

This is great information, and thanks. In addition to the throw-out bearing, another of our concerns is the relocation of the slave cylinder to INSIDE the transmission housing (a perinneal point of failure), plus the weakening of the transmission case, itself, with the drilling of holes for alignment and adjustment.

With your system, were you able to retain the slave cylinder on the fire wall?

With the use of the McLeod parts, did you still find it necessary to bore through the transmission housing?

I value hearing about your experience with this.
Ed
Old 04-21-2011, 09:52 PM
mrc24x
Burning Brakes

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by RacePro Engineering
Matt,

This is great information, and thanks. In addition to the throw-out bearing, another of our concerns is the relocation of the slave cylinder to INSIDE the transmission housing (a perinneal point of failure), plus the weakening of the transmission case, itself, with the drilling of holes for alignment and adjustment.

With your system, were you able to retain the slave cylinder on the fire wall?

With the use of the McLeod parts, did you still find it necessary to bore through the transmission housing?

I value hearing about your experience with this.
Ed
Ed,

You keep the standard Clutch Master Cyl. that mounts to the firewall and the transmission doesn't need to be drilled out for the Mcleod TOB. Just remove the stock cover for the input shaft and mount the TOB in it's place.

Here's a pic:
Name:  BBK002.jpg
Views: 930
Size:  72.0 KB
The following users liked this post:
PLRX (09-29-2018)
Old 04-28-2011, 10:17 PM
dave_85
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

PM sent
Old 09-05-2018, 07:33 PM
SnorT91Man
Instructor

Received 9 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Question

[QUOTE=mrc24x;1577408777]I bought the Ram "conversion" kit in '07. The clutch is lightweight and really nice but I thought the Ram TOB was junk. I ended up buying the expensive Mcleod TOB that mounts in place of the input collar. It's pricey but a nice product.

I switched to a 5.5" QM clutch this year so my old setup is for sale.

Ram Conversion LW Al. flywheel/PP/Clutch + Mcleod Hyd. TOB + Clutch Master Cyl. and lines. $500 to your door. Everything works great.

The Ram Kit new is $1099 and the 1345 Mcleod Bearing is $446 fwiw.

I also have my ZF6 for sale for $900 but I have a few people interested in it at the moment. (I'll know more after the weekend)

:Is is Ram setup still available? I would be very interested. If it is, please tell me how I can reach you.

Thanks!

Get notified of new replies

To HELP! RAM Clutch "conversion" for C4

Quick Reply: HELP! RAM Clutch "conversion" for C4