Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

left tire gets half the wear as right?

Search this Thread

Old 04-21-2011, 07:55 PM
VGLNTE1
Le Mans Master

Received 31 Likes on 29 Posts
St. Jude Donor '14-'15
Default left tire gets half the wear as right?

Im asking here because everyone in tech and general are looking for floor mats and wax. I know there is real car people in here. I had my diff rebuilt at RPM about 5000 miles ago and its been great. Stage 3. I jut replaced the half shafts about 3000 miles and has been great..now my left tire gets about 60% of the wear as the right. Drives normal. But when i push the car when it is off, i feel a popping every half tire rotation...nothing is leaking...i also run t1 sways and they do pop here and there but this is def drivetrain related....thoughts?
Old 04-21-2011, 08:12 PM
Short-Throw
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Are you asking two questions or one?

Tire wear and drivetrain dynamics?

When was the last time you had an alignment?

Left tire -- both front and rear?

Mike
Old 04-21-2011, 08:35 PM
mgarfias
Drifting

Received 30 Likes on 24 Posts

how is the left tire wearing? Post up pix of both tires, especially with a depth gauge in different places along the width of the tire.
Old 04-21-2011, 08:37 PM
wtknght1
Melting Slicks

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Do you track the car or just is it just a street machine? If it's just the street, then your alignment/tire pressure is most likely the problem...or possibly a bad tire.

You can also check to see if they put the "limited slip additive" in the diff when they rebuilt it. I don't put it in mine (because I race it) and it pops a bit when turning slowly. Street cars should use it though.

If you track it, check the corner weights and make sure the car is correctly corner balanced.

And you can also check all the bolts holding holding your diff in place...otherwise this could be happening to you: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P0lSxBC2cjM
Old 04-21-2011, 11:11 PM
VGLNTE1
Le Mans Master

St. Jude Donor '14-'15

They are drag radials so reallu no tread depth...and it just rears
Old 04-22-2011, 09:22 AM
travisnd
Safety Car

Received 18 Likes on 10 Posts

Go get an allignment check... if the toe is off it'll wear out a tire extremely fast. The rear diff shouldn't pop when pushing the car back/forth in a straght line. If that's happening you may be hearing the half/shaft splines clicking in the area of the axle nut. Happens from time to time. You can loosen the nut then retorque to 119 ft/lbs (factory spec). If you want to get really fancy you can shoot some grease in the splines and try to get it in there w/o having to take the hub off.

If it's chattering when you make tight turns you need more limited slip additive. Most aftermarket fluids like Redline and Amsoil ( I use Amsoil ) have it worked in and don't need extra additive, but sometimes they do. Squirt a 1/2 tube in and go drive a few tight figure 8s in a parking lot to get it worked through the limited slip.

That said, none of that should cause tire wear on one side.... worst case scenario the limited slip could be bad and putting more power to one side... my 2WD Nissan Titan has an open diff and when I dog it it'll spin the RR tire only.
Old 04-22-2011, 12:31 PM
VGLNTE1
Le Mans Master

St. Jude Donor '14-'15

Thank you! Im gonna check that hub nut
Old 04-24-2011, 09:58 AM
C66 Racing
Premium Supporting Vendor

Received 35 Likes on 25 Posts

Just a thought, but if you get on the gas hard enough to get some rear wheel spin and your corner weights are off, you are likely always getting more wheel spin on one side. Given the left/right imbalance of the car with the driver on the left, it really wouldn't surprise me to see more wear on the right if wheel spin off the line is the predominant source of wear. If your tires are not directional, rotating them left to right would equalize this.

C66 Racing #66 NASA ST2, SCCA T2
AMSOIL Dealer (Forum Vendor)
AMSOIL Ordering Information (Retail sales using reference #1206638 benefit the forum.)
AMSOIL Preferred Customer Program (Members buy at Wholesale - a savings of about 25%)
AMSOIL Catalog

Old 04-24-2011, 02:23 PM
VGLNTE1
Le Mans Master

St. Jude Donor '14-'15

They are the newer 18" mt drag radials. So they are directional and have a good sidewall and corner well. Rarely do i spin the tires taking off because its mainly used for taking cornets hard and high speed.

Get notified of new replies

To left tire gets half the wear as right?

Quick Reply: left tire gets half the wear as right?