Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Autocrossing OK with race pads/rotors?

Search this Thread

Old 04-21-2011, 10:39 PM
bright1984
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default Autocrossing OK with race pads/rotors?

So I've picked up a set of Cobalt Friction XR2 pads and Coleman rotors for road racing. Should I be OK using this brake set-up for autocross? I'm mainly worried about excessive wear on pads & rotors here, as I'm afraid the pads won't get to their normal operating temps and will tear down the rotors (some guys report this happening from running race pads on the street in between track sessions).

I realize that I'd probably be better off running less aggressive pads; however, my problem stems from the fact that I have HPDEs and autocrosses back to back for 4 weeks, so I'm trying to avoid going crazy swapping pads and rotors in and out every week. Any experience you're able to share with running race brake set up for autocross would be great.
Old 04-22-2011, 01:00 AM
thehammer69
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by bright1984
So I've picked up a set of Cobalt Friction XR2 pads and Coleman rotors for road racing. Should I be OK using this brake set-up for autocross? I'm mainly worried about excessive wear on pads & rotors here, as I'm afraid the pads won't get to their normal operating temps and will tear down the rotors (some guys report this happening from running race pads on the street in between track sessions).

I realize that I'd probably be better off running less aggressive pads; however, my problem stems from the fact that I have HPDEs and autocrosses back to back for 4 weeks, so I'm trying to avoid going crazy swapping pads and rotors in and out every week. Any experience you're able to share with running race brake set up for autocross would be great.

Not sure if this helps you but I drove a car with Carbotech XP10 and XP8 pads on an AX course this past weekend and they worked awesome! Makes me want to run them. The owner said he has to drag them a hair when going to the line on the first one to get a little heat started.
Old 04-22-2011, 10:10 AM
Adam@Amp'dAutosport.com
Supporting Vendor

Received 492 Likes on 419 Posts
St. Jude Donor '11,'13

Originally Posted by thehammer69
Not sure if this helps you but I drove a car with Carbotech XP10 and XP8 pads on an AX course this past weekend and they worked awesome! Makes me want to run them. The owner said he has to drag them a hair when going to the line on the first one to get a little heat started.
Yes, the 10's do need some heat.
PH:216-780-8825.
Email: sales@ampdautosport.com
Web Site & Direct ordering http://ampdautosport.com/
All major CC and Pay Pal accepted.
Check out Promo code:z28
Old 04-23-2011, 04:32 PM
bright1984
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by thehammer69
Yeah, that's what I was thinking. I guess I'll try it and see how it goes.
Old 04-25-2011, 09:36 AM
Adam@Amp'dAutosport.com
Supporting Vendor

Received 492 Likes on 419 Posts
St. Jude Donor '11,'13

Originally Posted by bright1984
Yeah, that's what I was thinking. I guess I'll try it and see how it goes.
Contact me at 216-780-8825 I will be happy to help you out.

Get notified of new replies

To Autocrossing OK with race pads/rotors?

Quick Reply: Autocrossing OK with race pads/rotors?