Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Stoptech SS Brake Lines Rubbing! Plse HELP

Search this Thread

Old 04-23-2011, 05:16 PM
bright1984
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default Stoptech SS Brake Lines Rubbing! Plse HELP

Had the wheels off today and saw that my Stoptech SS lines on the front have been rubbing against the tires (stock GYs), when at full lock. I just installed wider 285 NT05 fronts which will likely rub even more

They're essentially running parallel to the ground coming out of the caliper. Would changing the angle upward or downward help here?

As can be seen in the pictures, the clear abrasion layer has completely worn off in the middle. Assuming I fix the rubbing issue, are these still safe to run on the track etc or do I need to replace them?? Had a track day scheduled for next Friday which now is not likely to happen

Old 04-23-2011, 05:45 PM
JDIllon
Melting Slicks

Received 295 Likes on 76 Posts

Yes, change the angle and keep an eye on them. You should be able to angle them in away from the tires. You can check them when up on the lift but some times when you put the car back on the ground the angles change. So if you can get it on a 4 post with cars weight on the tires and have someone go under and check while someone turns the wheel lock to lock while the car is running that is best. JD
Old 04-23-2011, 10:33 PM
Joe_Planet
Safety Car

Good advice by JD. If you have them run parallel to the ground then you'll have the least clearance when your wheel locks out. I had 295 tires on the front with no apparent rubbing issues. I used goodridge lines, but I'm sure I put them on an angle either up or down.. I dont remember as I dont have the car anymore. I'd recommend replacing that line as well.
I think if you posted a pic of the line going into the caliper it would also shed some light on the situation.
Old 04-23-2011, 11:12 PM
bright1984
Instructor

Thanks guys. I tried angling it upwards and downwards; still rubs...

At full lock, it makes an "S" shape, with the outer part of the line extending forward and touching the front side of the tire. If only I could get it to bend in 'reverse' - with the outer side bending backwards - I think it could solve the issue

Sorry for the crappy pic but that's all I have from it was on the lift earlier.

Old 04-23-2011, 11:31 PM
froggy47
Race Director

Received 194 Likes on 164 Posts

With the stock hoses, there is a stand off. Don't you guys use that stand off (or equivalent) with the ss lines?
Old 04-23-2011, 11:42 PM
bright1984
Instructor

Originally Posted by froggy47
With the stock hoses, there is a stand off. Don't you guys use that stand off (or equivalent) with the ss lines?
I don't remember getting it with the StopTechs...

Has anyone used something that's equivalent that can solve the issue?

Get notified of new replies

To Stoptech SS Brake Lines Rubbing! Plse HELP

Quick Reply: Stoptech SS Brake Lines Rubbing! Plse HELP