Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Advice on my set up

Search this Thread

Old 04-24-2011, 09:01 AM
2 GTOs
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
St. Jude Donor '11-'12

Default Advice on my set up

I do about a dozen HPDEs per year. I picked up a C6Z and would like to start using this car. I am looking for advice on my thoughts for a safety set up.

The car must be driven to the tracks which are 2-2.5 hours each way and the shops I used are 1.5-2 hours each way. I need to stay NJ street legal or at least as close as reasonably possible. I have GM rims with NT05s, pfadt coil overs, hawks HP+ pads, and T-1 bars.

I am thinking the following:
1) BK harness bar because I like the extra support compared to the single structure bars
2) Corbeau A4 seats with sub slot and double locking sliders as I want to retain use of the 3 point belts. With the corbeau tracks, do I still Need to purchase a lap belt bar to use a 6 point?
3) I switched from an open face to a Bell M4
4) safety solutions Hybrid pro rage - I like that this can be used with a 3 point harness for when I use lone of my other cars. Am I correct this can also be used. With a 6 point?
5) I am also looking at a schroth harnesses as I like the 3 inch shoulder and 2 inch lap belt. I am looking for more opinions on this and some advice on which of the belts I would need.

I understand there is some risk with a Hans and no roll cage in case of a roll over, but I believe a frontal impact is much more likely than a roll so I accept that risk.

Opinions welcomed.

Last edited by 2 GTOs; 04-24-2011 at 09:27 AM.
Old 04-24-2011, 09:33 AM
JDIllon
Melting Slicks

Received 297 Likes on 78 Posts

I think you pretty much have it figured out. How ever if you are going to use either a 5 point or 6 point, you will need to have mounting points for one or two sub belts, plus your lap belts and your shoulder belts. The sub belt mounting points should be behind where they come up thru the bottom of the seat. And the lap belts should be bolted to the seat mount or something fastened to the seat mounting bolts. IE: vetteworks or Hardbar seat belt brackets. And you are correct that the Pro Rage can be used with any seat belt arrangement. Just be sure to get pull up!!!!!!!!!! Lap belts and not pull down. That means you will pull up on the lap belts to tighten them, the vette is tight and the pull up belts are much easier to use. Just my .02 Look forward to seeing you at the track. JD
Old 04-24-2011, 11:46 AM
2 GTOs
Pro

St. Jude Donor '11-'12

I am having trouble figuring out which belt. Is the Profi. II-6 the correct one to give the 3 inch up top, 2 inch lap and pull up adjustments?

The hybrid looks like it is easier to attach the sub belts.

Last edited by 2 GTOs; 04-24-2011 at 11:50 AM.
Old 04-25-2011, 02:13 AM
bobmoore2
Drifting

Originally Posted by 2 GTOs
I am having trouble figuring out which belt. Is the Profi. II-6 the correct one to give the 3 inch up top, 2 inch lap and pull up adjustments?

The hybrid looks like it is easier to attach the sub belts.
You want the Profi II-6. They're extemely safe and comfortable too.

However, if you're using something like the Vetteworks or Hardbar ____ (I forget what it's called) to attach the lap and sub belts on the floor behind your seat, then you will need the sub belts to be longer than comes on the normal Profi II-6. I ordered mine with the standard 24" subs, found they didn't fit, and had them modified by Schroth. (A big hassle, but it worked out well.)

You should call the folks at Scroth before you order them, and they can have them made with 36" sub belts for little or no extra cost.

Last edited by bobmoore2; 04-25-2011 at 02:15 AM.
Old 04-25-2011, 02:32 AM
bobmoore2
Drifting

I understand there is some risk with a Hans and no roll cage in case of a roll over, but I believe a frontal impact is much more likely than a roll so I accept that risk.

Opinions welcomed.
The roll hoop on the stock C6 (and C5) is very strong. It can easily handle a rollover, especially a sideways rollover (tires on ground, side on ground, roof on ground, etc.). An end-over rollover may be a different story (tires, then bumper, then roof), but that kind of rollover is extremely rare.

Compared to a HANS, a full roll cage is very expensive and hard to live with on the street. You will be protected by the HANS and may be injured by the roll bar in the type of accidents you're more likely to experience.
Old 04-25-2011, 04:14 PM
2 GTOs
Pro

St. Jude Donor '11-'12

I spoke with Schroth and I'm not completely sure they understood what i was explaining (I may not have been explaining it correctly).

They seemed to conclude that the lap belts were probably OK but what I may need is the "non adjustable" sub belt. Apparently you would only be able to adjust the sub belt at the anchor point. Does this sound like what you experienced?

Also, are you using seats with a sub belt slot?

They told me to explain this to the retailer.

Last edited by 2 GTOs; 04-25-2011 at 04:44 PM.
Old 04-25-2011, 06:02 PM
gmccreary
Drifting

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Bring lots of $$$$$$$$$. I have an 09 C6Z that I was considering doing more track events with and I found out that this hobby is very addicting (think crack x 100). Consumables on the C6Z are very expensive and in the long run I felt it better to get a dedicated track car. That"s why I now have an 01 C5Z dedicated to the track. Good luck.

Last edited by gmccreary; 04-25-2011 at 06:05 PM.
Old 04-25-2011, 06:23 PM
2 GTOs
Pro

St. Jude Donor '11-'12

All being done under the heading of "midlife crisis"

This is actually the reason I am trying to keep the car street legal. I could imagine going out and getting a C5 or something like that at some point and making the C6Z the weekend driving car. I think the mods I mention are not much commitment other than initial cost and most can be sold.
Old 04-26-2011, 04:22 AM
bobmoore2
Drifting

I spoke with Schroth and I'm not completely sure they understood what i was explaining (I may not have been explaining it correctly).

They seemed to conclude that the lap belts were probably OK but what I may need is the "non adjustable" sub belt. Apparently you would only be able to adjust the sub belt at the anchor point. Does this sound like what you experienced?

Also, are you using seats with a sub belt slot?

They told me to explain this to the retailer.
It's so hard to explain something like this using this one-side-at-a-time medium. Please call me so we can discuss this real-time. I sent you an email with my phone number. Any time between 9 AM and 1:30 PM PDT would be good for me.

Last edited by bobmoore2; 04-26-2011 at 04:26 AM.
Old 04-26-2011, 05:50 AM
mfquinn
Pro

I had to have my sub straps lengthed also. It was a $50 charge plus $5 per strap. I am in the market for a second harness set and Schroth still wants to charge the extra $50 even if I buy it from them. I am using the Corbeau TRS seats. Even with the seats you mention there are a few things to be aware of to get the factory 3 point belts mounted to the sliders. Also, if you use the lap belt bar there are a few things that you will need to do so that the seat will be able to slide back. It will all work, but be aware it isn't a piece of cake. If you go this route, feel free to PM me and I will share the issues I ran into and how I resolved them

Get notified of new replies

To Advice on my set up

Quick Reply: Advice on my set up