Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

C5 autocross set-up question

Search this Thread

Old 04-27-2011, 12:02 AM
napacruzerc5
Safety Car

Received 20 Likes on 18 Posts

Default C5 autocross set-up question

First, please don't tell me to ditch the F45 and get coil-overs, etc. 2nd I can't afford any major mods right now.

What I have: regular non-Z06 2001 coupe, 6MN, F45, minor cat-back, CAI mods, lowered on stock bolts, C6 Z51 front sway bar w/stock ends. Ran the first time a couple of weeks ago with Nitto NT-01's after running Kumho MXs the last 2-3 years. Love the Nittos. Now the rearend is not oversteering with the added stick but now getting more understeer on exit, or am I overcooking the corners since I'm sticking more on entry? I have the rear C6 Z51 rear bar sitting in the garage. Should I install that bar? Could that reduce the push by snugging down the rear a little more? This is basically a free mod since I'll do the install and I already have the bar.

So my question is to install the rear C6Z51 bar, or not, or give myself more time riunning events with the Nittos?

Thanks for you in advance for your educated guesses, opinions, advice
Old 04-27-2011, 12:10 AM
Jason
Team Owner

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
CI 4-5-6-7 Veteran

What club and class?
Swap the swaybar and see what happens. Let us know.
Old 04-27-2011, 02:00 AM
RAREBLU1
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If your lowered all the way on stock bolts I'd raise it up some, about 1/2inch helped me out.

I went from C5 Z51 bars to C6 Z06 bars on both ends and the rear was to tight for myself and I went back to the Z51 bar on the rear. But if you already got the bar give it a try.

A cheap shock upgrade is a set of C6 Z06's if you want to get way from the F45.
Old 04-27-2011, 07:11 AM
ipuig
Drifting

Received 54 Likes on 36 Posts
St. Jude Donor '09

Dial in some additional negative camber in the front before changing the rear sway bar if you have not done so.
Old 04-27-2011, 11:59 AM
travisnd
Safety Car

Received 18 Likes on 10 Posts

If the rear end is sticking and the car is pushing then you need to dial out some front bar or increase the rear bar. I'd put on the bigger rear bar as I'd want a tail happy car for auto-x. Oh... and ditch the F45 stuff... probably worn out by now anyway.
Old 04-27-2011, 07:28 PM
TedDBere
Melting Slicks

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by ipuig
Dial in some additional negative camber in the front before changing the rear sway bar if you have not done so.
This first. And then you could reduce your rear toe-in if you run a lot of rear toe-in. And you might want to raise the rear of the car to add some rake if you've lowered it so much you've taken the rake out. In autox you actually want a soft rear bar to get the power down on exit.
Old 04-27-2011, 11:08 PM
RogerT
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Understeer

What air pressure do you have in your tires?
Use the chalk method on the outer tire tread and tire sidewall on three places around the diameter. Make a run. If the chalk is completetly gone on the tread, you are utilizing the full tread. If there is chalk remaining on the outer tread, lower the air pressure a pound or two and run again.

If the chalk is gone on all the tread and some from the sidewall of the tire, the tire is rolling over. Add air pressure and run again.

Doing this will optimize the tire tread.
If this does not resolve you understeering, persue alignment, and bar adjustments.

Roger T : )

Get notified of new replies

To C5 autocross set-up question

Quick Reply: C5 autocross set-up question