Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Issue installing Hardbar delrin upper shock mounts in the front...

Search this Thread

Old 04-28-2011, 12:40 AM
travisnd
Safety Car

Received 18 Likes on 10 Posts
Default Issue installing Hardbar delrin upper shock mounts in the front...

I didn't get any instructions so at first I tried to install it using 2 of the metal "washers", but doing that there's no thread left on the shock shaft to get the upper nut started.

The only way I could get it together was to not use a lower "washer" and let the bottom 1/2 of the mount ride on the dust boot in the same manner as the OEM rubber.

Does this look correct? The kit comes with 8 of the washers so I assumed one was used top and bottom like the picture on Gary's website showing the assembly uninstalled.

Oh... does the rubber bushing go where I have it or on the top side?

Old 04-28-2011, 12:55 AM
RX-Ben
Safety Car

Received 14 Likes on 9 Posts

I don't recall much from my install, other than there were no instructions and it is trickier than it should be not to include instructions.

There should be no rubber involved. Only delrin and metal.
I don't think you can use the shock covers. I used some universal boots for a steering rack. These are cheap and readily available (and are cracking after <9 months).
Old 04-28-2011, 01:09 AM
travisnd
Safety Car

There's definitely a rubber washer that goes in there... Anyone know how tight I'm supposed to make this? I usually go good n' tight, but is this thing supposed to be able to rotate as the shock moves?

Should the delrin be lubed at all? I have left over grease from my Pfadt poly bushing install.
Old 04-28-2011, 01:44 AM
travisnd
Safety Car

Ok... I just went back out in the garage and messed with it again. I think I'm good to go. The top of the OEM dust boot is metal and appears to be the same shape/dimension as the "washers" that come with the Hardbar stuff. I cleaned off the rubber residue on the top of the dust boot with a Scotch-Brite pad and the shock moves around fine. I did find that "contact + 1/2 turn" seems way too loose. Good n' tight feels better and the shock still moved around fine.

Gary if you find this thread please chime in
Old 04-28-2011, 08:12 AM
John Shiels
Team Owner

Location: Buy USA products! Check the label! Employ Americans
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by travisnd
Ok... I just went back out in the garage and messed with it again. I think I'm good to go. The top of the OEM dust boot is metal and appears to be the same shape/dimension as the "washers" that come with the Hardbar stuff. I cleaned off the rubber residue on the top of the dust boot with a Scotch-Brite pad and the shock moves around fine. I did find that "contact + 1/2 turn" seems way too loose. Good n' tight feels better and the shock still moved around fine.

Gary if you find this thread please chime in
I would call Gary.
Old 04-28-2011, 09:42 AM
dvandentop
Race Director

Received 583 Likes on 242 Posts

on the bottom the metal washer goes closest to bottom then the delrin then the small rubber washer then on top goes the delrin and then the metal cup

that is how i installled mine and worked great
Old 04-28-2011, 10:56 AM
MYRX
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Read this thread with interest. Having poly-bushing installed now. What exactly will installing the delrin upper shock mount do? It seems to a popular choice with the TTA Group of which I have recently joined.
Old 04-28-2011, 11:03 AM
travisnd
Safety Car

It allows the shock to work as designed. Whith the rubber upper mounts the shock will have some lateral deflection when the suspension moves.
Old 04-28-2011, 02:20 PM
travisnd
Safety Car

After bugging Gary on FaceBook a bit he says the top of the OEM dust boot is not the same radius/shape as steel "cup washer end cap things" that come with these mounts. Thus I'm going to ditch the dust boot and try and re-install with the bottom "washer".
Old 04-28-2011, 03:55 PM
froggy47
Race Director

Received 194 Likes on 164 Posts

I probably should not post until I pull a wheel & look, but anyway, when I put the Pfadt kit on IIRC it was like a delrin sandwich with the metal "washers" being the bread and the delrin in the middle.

I think your dust cover is taking up too much space. Do you really need it?

I don't think many "race" shocks (except for baja trucks) use the covers but I could be wrong.

Old 04-28-2011, 03:56 PM
travisnd
Safety Car

Originally Posted by froggy47
I think your dust cover is taking up too much space. Do you really need it?

I don't think many "race" shocks (except for baja trucks) use the covers but I could be wrong.

I guess not.... I only worked on the LF last night and it's not buttoned up so it wont be hard to change.
Old 04-28-2011, 04:01 PM
froggy47
Race Director

Originally Posted by travisnd
I guess not.... I only worked on the LF last night and it's not buttoned up so it wont be hard to change.

Here are some pics of the rear kit.

The metal "cups" are the "bread" of the sandwich. They are the bigger parts. They are anodized black so it's a bit hard to tell the diff from delrin. Parts are laid out as they install.

Bottom bits are the old mount parts. Top is the new. I laid then out to make sure I had it right.

Last edited by froggy47; 04-28-2011 at 04:06 PM.
Old 04-28-2011, 04:09 PM
rgg16g
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Are you sure you have the sandwich of delrin pushed tightly together? The delrin bushings fit very tight, maybe they are not pressed together all the way? I had no problems with mine (now yours) installed on Bilsteins, maybe the OEM shaft does not stick out as far, I used the dust boots too.

I had all the parts assembled as follows: from bottom, Metal cupped washer / delrin / rubber washer / chassis / delrin / metal cupped washer / nut / (though I think the rubber washer could go on top, would take up the same space)
Old 04-28-2011, 04:13 PM
travisnd
Safety Car

Yeah rubber top or bottom won't make a difference. It's definatley compressed all the way... The Bilstein dust boot and bumpstop arrangement is different than OEM. I haven't had a set of Bilsteins in awhile so I can't remember exactly how they're different.

It's not a big deal... I actually think they'd work fine as installed w/o the lower cupped washer. I tested the range of motion with the lower end of the shock unbolted and it moves around just fine. I know Gary says the top of the facotry dust boot (the metal part) is different than his cupped washer things, but it must be quite close.
Old 04-28-2011, 05:02 PM
sperkins
Le Mans Master

Received 44 Likes on 35 Posts

Toss the dust boots.
Old 04-28-2011, 11:45 PM
travisnd
Safety Car

Got the left side front and rear done... per a forum member's suggestion I simply removed the rubber washer since NVH isn't a concern at all (dedicated track car). On the front the shaft diameter gets bigger just before the stock boot so removing the boot won't do anything unless you drill out the hole to 7/16ths. I didn't have to as it all went together fine. I did use some blue loc-tite on the nut since it only goes on a few turns, but plenty to stay tight.

In the rear the shock shaft gets thicker just past the threads so you have to drill the bottom metal cupped washer out to 7/16ths. Then put it all together.

Old 04-29-2011, 12:51 AM
froggy47
Race Director

IIRC there was an issue with two different "thickness" of the upper front shock "housing" or whatever it is correctly called.

Pfadt kit included different dimension delrin bits to accomodate the thickness differences.

Maybe yours is the thick one.

Get notified of new replies

To Issue installing Hardbar delrin upper shock mounts in the front...

Quick Reply: Issue installing Hardbar delrin upper shock mounts in the front...