Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

AMSOIL Dominator Coolant Boost, Red Line Water Wetter Tested

Search this Thread

Old 04-30-2011, 12:21 PM
C66 Racing
Premium Supporting Vendor

Received 35 Likes on 25 Posts

Default AMSOIL Dominator Coolant Boost, Red Line Water Wetter Tested

AMSOIL recently had an independent lab test both AMSOIL Dominator Coolant Boost and Red Line Water Wetter using several ASTM tests and a small block Chevy as the test engine.

I've seen the question come up here many times over the years as to whether products such as these actually help lower coolant temps. These tests conducted to ASTM standards show that both products do lower coolant temps (at least in a loaded engine where coolant fan settings are not controlling temp) for both straight water and 50/50 anti-freeze mixtures. It also answers a question I see come up in these discussions as to whether straight water is better than 50/50 mixtures for cooling - it is.

Also interesting is the added corrosion benefit both products provide, at least compared to those who may be using straight water. For FYI, I run a 25% Dexcool 75% water with AMSOIL Dominator Coolant Boost in my Z06.

Link to my dealer website with the test results:
AMSOIL Dominator Coolant Boost (Product Code RDCBCN)

C66 Racing #66 NASA ST2, SCCA T2
AMSOIL Dealer (Forum Vendor)
AMSOIL Ordering Information (Retail sales using reference #1206638 benefit the forum.)
AMSOIL Preferred Customer Program (Members buy at Wholesale - a savings of about 25%)
AMSOIL Catalog

Old 04-30-2011, 02:05 PM
froggy47
Race Director

Received 194 Likes on 164 Posts

Directions: With engine off and cool, make sure cooling system is filled with selected coolant. Shake bottle and pour calculated amount of Coolant Boost into radiator. Start engine, turn heat on high and run for 15 minutes. Do NOT use distilled water unless mixed with 50% antifreeze

Above quote from the web site. Why do you suppose Amsoil reccomends against using distilled water?

Across the country the hardness of water (among other water qualities) varies greatly. In San Diego we are at the end of the spigot, so to speak, and the hardness of our tap water is legendary.

I have recently switched to distilled water & various % of anti freeze depending whether the vehicle will go to the ski slopes in the winter or just run track year round in the desert/coast. Plus I add water wetter.

The test results are excellent, but curious about the warning re: no distilled?

Old 04-30-2011, 02:29 PM
C66 Racing

I asked their tech line about that when the product came out. They informed me that the product worked better using the impurities in tap water. Won't hurt anything to use distilled water, but might not perform as well.

But, as they state, you can use distilled water if you use anti-freeze. So I went down the middle. I used the pre-mixed 50-50 dexcool to fill the system half full (net 25% dexcool) using whatever water they use to pre-mix it with, added the coolant boost, and filled the rest with distilled water. Didn't call up my coolant temps on the DIC at the races at VIR a few weekends ago, but my coolant temp needle was just left of top dead center all weekend, so it was running somewhere around 210F or so. Temps were in the mid-70s most of the weekend.
Old 04-30-2011, 05:35 PM
trackboss
Melting Slicks

Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts

Distilled water, from what I have been told, tends to try and draw out minerals/impurities from everything it touches(coolant passages, radiator, water pump, etc.) Using it with coolant mixture is fine, but if not using coolant I've been told to use regular water. I've even had a friend who uses water out of a horse trough because he found that it sealed better with all the impurities in it.
Old 04-30-2011, 06:24 PM
Aardwolf
Race Director

Received 372 Likes on 308 Posts

A lot of iron and calcium in my well water here. I've been using water from the filter pitcher instead of right from the tap.
Old 04-30-2011, 07:33 PM
froggy47
Race Director

Received 194 Likes on 164 Posts

Originally Posted by trackboss
Distilled water, from what I have been told, tends to try and draw out minerals/impurities from everything it touches(coolant passages, radiator, water pump, etc.) Using it with coolant mixture is fine, but if not using coolant I've been told to use regular water. I've even had a friend who uses water out of a horse trough because he found that it sealed better with all the impurities in it.

LMAO, I know of at least one engine builder who always puts a couple of tubes of aluma seal in each cooling system. It has a certain amount of organics in it like wood by products or shells or something that lodges in leaks & swells a bit.
Old 04-30-2011, 11:47 PM
gkmccready
Safety Car

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Can you mix Coolant Boost with Water Wetter? or would one need to drain & flush prior to making the switch?
Old 05-01-2011, 08:28 AM
C66 Racing

Originally Posted by gkmccready
Can you mix Coolant Boost with Water Wetter? or would one need to drain & flush prior to making the switch?
I suspect that there would be no harm in mixing, but I couldn't verify this, so when I switched I drained my coolant system.
Old 05-01-2011, 12:47 PM
Kubs
Le Mans Master

Received 1,754 Likes on 941 Posts
2023 C5 of the Year Finalist - Modified
2022 C5 of the Year Finalist - Modified
St. Jude Donor '09-'10-'11

Thanks for the info Brad! When I get my new engine in I was going to switch anyway, but the test confirms my decision.
Old 05-02-2011, 01:21 PM
Everett Ogilvie
Melting Slicks

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Subdriver
I suspect that there would be no harm in mixing, but I couldn't verify this, so when I switched I drained my coolant system.
Maybe I missed it on the website - if using this stuff with water alone, does it provide adequate lubrication for the water pump (or actually, better than merely adequate)? Thx.
Old 05-03-2011, 08:58 PM
C66 Racing

Originally Posted by Everett Ogilvie
Maybe I missed it on the website - if using this stuff with water alone, does it provide adequate lubrication for the water pump (or actually, better than merely adequate)? Thx.
They don't come right out and state that, but given the corrosion protection numbers with straight water, and this statement they provide:
"Dominator Coolant Boost is recommended with both racing applications using straight water coolant..."
I think you are safe to assume that it does provide adequate lubrication.

Get notified of new replies

To AMSOIL Dominator Coolant Boost, Red Line Water Wetter Tested

Quick Reply: AMSOIL Dominator Coolant Boost, Red Line Water Wetter Tested