Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Why all the "max caster" suggestions?

Search this Thread

Old 04-30-2011, 02:35 PM
niteriderc5
Safety Car

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Why all the "max caster" suggestions?

I am running on 7 degrees of caster (z06 alignment specs) with LG coilovers and NT05 tires...

My "issue" right now seems to be tied with my current caster settings.

I feel like I'm having to steer the car more than I have too (too much steering angle to achieve the proper line). On top of that the weight of the steering is too heavy and cumbersome around town.

I understand the high speed stability benifits but this car is on city streets most of the time. Is my "issue" the price I pay? The corvette wheelbase is pretty long by sportscar standards, why max out caster for street use?

I am looking for a lighter, quicker initial turn-in feel from the front end. Will lowering the caster acheive this?
Old 04-30-2011, 03:59 PM
C5_Z06
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I asked the same q a while ago...

http://forums.corvetteforum.com/auto...-question.html
Old 04-30-2011, 04:33 PM
wanabgts
Instructor

Received 79 Likes on 22 Posts

I have always run max caster as well on autox setups, one for the dynamic camber increase which is nice on a car you drive everyday since you can sacrifice some static camber.

Also with a lot of caster consistantly driving past the limit becomes easier for me as the steering likes to self-center faster under the weight of the car. This is especially helpful in cars like the vette when slip angle oversteer can be the fastest way through a lot of autox layouts.

I do however usually like to back it off on the road course and add some static camber to the car, this allows the feeling of more precise turn in and mid-corner adjustments take less effort.

Zack

Get notified of new replies

To Why all the "max caster" suggestions?

Quick Reply: Why all the "max caster" suggestions?