Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

This year sucks...

Search this Thread

Old 05-02-2011, 07:03 PM
SIK02SS
Melting Slicks

Received 33 Likes on 30 Posts

Default This year sucks...

2011 race season has not been kind to me:

Race weekend 1 @ Phoenix International:

-Qualified 3rd in race one, Turn 1 my ABS decided to freak out on me, ICE mode, off track, back to last place.
-Race 2 I qualified 2nd, pressured Kyle Kelley nose to tail for 7 laps and my 1 race old tires gave up the ghost vs his stickers...couldn't get a 2nd set of stickers from Hoosier in time

Race weekend 2 @ AAA Speedway, Fontana:

-Felt like I had a terrible qualify session for the National race, ended up qualifying 1st blew the start, got booted off track a couple laps later by a competitor (still retained 3rd), and then my brakes cooked passing Oli off the oval...back to last. Still set fastest lap of race
-Regional race, car over heated in the warmup lap

Race weekend 3 @ WSIR:

-car felt terrible, had no balance, nothing; qualified 4th and was NOT competitive (i conclude this as not racing, was just track time). Decided in the race the car felt like it was on the bump stops, low and behold we discovered between AAA and WSIR my rear shocks lost 100#'s of Nitrogen
-went out for a few laps of practice prior to race 2, sheered a caliper mounting bolt

Race weekend 4 @ Thunderhill:

-Qualified 2nd, started 1st bc Davis couldn't get car started on grid. Had to run a set of wheels that required 1/2" spacer on both fronts (total 1" spacing, long story on why I even ran the wheels but had to with weather). In case you didn't know, this terribly upsets the balance of the car and makes it drive like it's on pendulum with your rear stepping out and not being able to go 10/10's...kyle passed me with ease, and i finished 2nd quite a ways behind.
-Race 2, I qualified 2nd, and my hub broke on the warmup lap (I am grateful it was in warm up, pissed it happened), wheel assembly detached etc etc..

Race weekend 5 @ Buttonwillow:

-Qualified 2nd, had a strong start, then lost my 3rd motor in 3 years coming out of Star Mazda corner

After all this, I remain 7 points shy of qualifying for the Runoffs.

oh, and I left out the sleepless week prior to race weekends being a scramble to get the car together for various reasons (waiting on brakes to return, waiting on newly revalved shocks to return, needing to order and overnight a new spindle/knuckle bc losing the hub bent it, etc etc etc).

Anyone want to try to one up this (short of a wreck)?
Old 05-02-2011, 07:32 PM
RX-Ben
Safety Car

Received 14 Likes on 9 Posts

On the upside, any number of the incidents you had could've lead to a wreck. And your are still in good shape points-wise. Count your lucky stars.
Old 05-02-2011, 07:32 PM
mgarfias
Drifting

Received 30 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by SIK02SS
No.
Old 05-02-2011, 10:55 PM
cdbmathews
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Chris,

Sorry for your bad luck. I doubt it will make you feel better, but last year my buddy blew 2 engines within 6 months, and even worse, 2 transmissions and one diff in the same weekend.
Old 05-02-2011, 11:16 PM
Racer-38
Racer

I'll give it a shot:
September 2010: Rebuild Katech Engine for the 2011 season

Roebling road Double National:
Q1 diff cooler breaks a fitting and pumps the diff dry.
Q2 get pole
Race 1 running in 2nd, piece of debris goes thru the tranny cooler, tranny overheats, limp home to third. (fix cooler to race in next race)
Race 2 torque tube & clutch breaks DNF
(Fix clutch, diff, tranny cooler and torque tube before RA)

Road Atlanta Double National:
Qualify P2 behind Onks both days, sundays qualifying times were new bests for both of us. Looking forward to a great race:
Race 1: running in P2, new engine lets go after 9 laps; DNF
Race 2: DNS

Have a new Golen LS7 race engine built. Get it installed the night before the Mitty.
Race 1: 1st place. driving back to the pits the tranny let go.

So now I have to buy and install a new transmission before the May 22nd race at RA.
AND>......I still need 2 National finishes to make the Runoffs with only one race left in Division.
Old 05-02-2011, 11:26 PM
travisnd
Safety Car

Received 18 Likes on 10 Posts

Things could be worse... You could always be a dead guy named Osama.
Old 05-02-2011, 11:28 PM
SIK02SS
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by Racer-38

I'll give it a shot:

Q2 get pole
Race 1 running in 2nd, piece of debris goes thru the tranny cooler, tranny overheats, limp home to third. (fix cooler to race in next race)

Qualify P2 behind Onks both days, sundays qualifying times were new bests for both of us. Looking forward to a great race:

Have a new Golen LS7 race engine built. Get it installed the night before the Mitty.

So now I have to buy and install a new transmission before the May 22nd race at RA.
AND>......I still need 2 National finishes to make the Runoffs with only one race left in Division.
Damn Bob, I truly do feel your pain and frustrations, I was hoping you would be golden with the new motor in . I'm all out of local Nationals now, I have to travel to the June Sprints and then to Portland (if I don't podium at the Sprints).

Are you going to the Sprints?
Old 05-02-2011, 11:37 PM
spdislife
Le Mans Master

Received 30 Likes on 25 Posts

Originally Posted by travisnd
Things could be worse... You could always be a dead guy named Osama.
Damn! That was funny
Old 05-03-2011, 12:37 AM
fatbillybob
Melting Slicks

Received 205 Likes on 161 Posts

-
Chris,

At least you are fast. You can buy equipment but I can't buy any talent.
Old 05-03-2011, 01:51 AM
BuckeyeZ06
Le Mans Master

Received 48 Likes on 31 Posts

...I still need 2 National finishes to make the Runoffs with only one race left in Division.
Come to Mid Ohio in June, my friend.
Old 05-03-2011, 01:55 AM
mgarfias
Drifting

I'm all out of local Nationals now, I have to travel to the June Sprints and then to Portland (if I don't podium at the Sprints).
If you do goto portland, let me know. I'll come out and gopher for you, plus you can overnight at the house if you want. Course we're an hour south of PIR.
Old 05-03-2011, 02:08 AM
BuckeyeZ06
Le Mans Master

Received 48 Likes on 31 Posts

Tough times call for tough people: you're up for it.

From June 2009 I broke two Viper motors, two Viper transmissions, and one Mazda3 motor (brand new). Plus I wrecked one Viper at the Run Offs, and a second one tried to kill me at Mid Ohio while testing in June 2010.
Old 05-03-2011, 02:15 AM
Black89Z51
Suckin' gas, haulin' ass.
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

I know a guy who blew up 5 motors in 5 consecutive races. He absolutely insisted that he needed to rev it to 8 grand+ (SBF with Boss heads).
Old 05-03-2011, 10:53 AM
SIK02SS
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by mgarfias
If you do goto portland, let me know. I'll come out and gopher for you, plus you can overnight at the house if you want. Course we're an hour south of PIR.
Thanks Mike, the weekend is 4th of July weekend, so I'm sure you'll be busy with family

Originally Posted by BuckeyeZ06
Tough times call for tough people: you're up for it.

From June 2009 I broke two Viper motors, two Viper transmissions, and one Mazda3 motor (brand new). Plus I wrecked one Viper at the Run Offs, and a second one tried to kill me at Mid Ohio while testing in June 2010.

Originally Posted by Black89Z51
I know a guy who blew up 5 motors in 5 consecutive races. He absolutely insisted that he needed to rev it to 8 grand+ (SBF with Boss heads).
And that's the thing, My first and last LS6's have stayed under 7k (shift between 65-6800) where as other guys consistently take theirs to 7+ and live for years
Old 05-03-2011, 11:17 AM
trapp
Burning Brakes

2011 race season has not been kind to me:

Race weekend 1 @ Phoenix International:

-Qualified 3rd in race one, Turn 1 my ABS decided to freak out on me, ICE mode, off track, back to last place.
-Race 2 I qualified 2nd, pressured Kyle Kelley nose to tail for 7 laps and my 1 race old tires gave up the ghost vs his stickers...couldn't get a 2nd set of stickers from Hoosier in time

Race weekend 2 @ AAA Speedway, Fontana:

-Felt like I had a terrible qualify session for the National race, ended up qualifying 1st blew the start, got booted off track a couple laps later by a competitor (still retained 3rd), and then my brakes cooked passing Oli off the oval...back to last. Still set fastest lap of race
-Regional race, car over heated in the warmup lap

Race weekend 3 @ WSIR:

-car felt terrible, had no balance, nothing; qualified 4th and was NOT competitive (i conclude this as not racing, was just track time). Decided in the race the car felt like it was on the bump stops, low and behold we discovered between AAA and WSIR my rear shocks lost 100#'s of Nitrogen
-went out for a few laps of practice prior to race 2, sheered a caliper mounting bolt

Race weekend 4 @ Thunderhill:

-Qualified 2nd, started 1st bc Davis couldn't get car started on grid. Had to run a set of wheels that required 1/2" spacer on both fronts (total 1" spacing, long story on why I even ran the wheels but had to with weather). In case you didn't know, this terribly upsets the balance of the car and makes it drive like it's on pendulum with your rear stepping out and not being able to go 10/10's...kyle passed me with ease, and i finished 2nd quite a ways behind.
-Race 2, I qualified 2nd, and my hub broke on the warmup lap (I am grateful it was in warm up, pissed it happened), wheel assembly detached etc etc..

Race weekend 5 @ Buttonwillow:

-Qualified 2nd, had a strong start, then lost my 3rd motor in 3 years coming out of Star Mazda corner

After all this, I remain 7 points shy of qualifying for the Runoffs.

oh, and I left out the sleepless week prior to race weekends being a scramble to get the car together for various reasons (waiting on brakes to return, waiting on newly revalved shocks to return, needing to order and overnight a new spindle/knuckle bc losing the hub bent it, etc etc etc).

Bin Laden had a worse week...
Old 05-03-2011, 11:38 AM
SIK02SS
Melting Slicks

And so did the countless other AMERICANS who died of Cancer and other horrible diseases. I get it, OBL is dead, YAYY!

note: I AM happy he's dead, but I can care less about being reminded of it every day. I'll remember 9/11 for the horrific act of terrorism on America, I will not remember 5/1 for the day OBL was killed, his name need not live forever.
Old 05-03-2011, 12:08 PM
mgarfias
Drifting

Thanks Mike, the weekend is 4th of July weekend, so I'm sure you'll be busy with family
Usually not much happens around here with us, and whats more patriotic than burning hydrocarbons.

And that's the thing, My first and last LS6's have stayed under 7k (shift between 65-6800) where as other guys consistently take theirs to 7+ and live for years
See, this is the problem. If you just shift at 7200 you'll be fine.

Get notified of new replies

To This year sucks...

Old 05-03-2011, 12:22 PM
Jason
Team Owner

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
CI 4-5-6-7 Veteran

I've only gotten to race once this year.
Old 05-03-2011, 01:51 PM
John B
Pro
Pro Mechanic

Received 36 Likes on 28 Posts

My engine is still at machine shop. Haven't raced yet this year & woke to snow on the deck yesterday.
Old 05-03-2011, 01:54 PM
Katech_Zach
Premium Supporting Vendor

Received 966 Likes on 528 Posts
C7 of Year Finalist (track prepared) 2019

I'll give it a shot:

Q2 get pole

You might want to clarify that Katech did not do the rebuild. Very misleading.

(e) zach@katechengines.com

Quick Reply: This year sucks...