Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

First Autocross Experience in C6Z

Search this Thread

Old 05-02-2011, 09:29 PM
SearayC5
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default First Autocross Experience in C6Z

Well, first off as all of you know is addicting. My car is modified to roughly 550 rwhp. My stock GY tires were at the cords in the fronts and the rears were around 1/32". I ordered new NT05s all around. I put the fronts on, but figured it would good to just finish burning the rears before mounting the new ones. Well lets just say that I made a mistake there. It was like driving the car around on a sheet of ice. Granted the 550 rwhp didn't help, but wow. I improved each lap, which was nice to see and only finished a 2 seconds or so behind the leader. I know I have more in this car with out modifying the suspension. I just need more practice and unworn tires, haha.

Some questions, how does one keep the tires are the correct pressures when you constantly have to wait in between groups that run? Tire pressure recommendations?

The event had more than 30 subarus there. Only one or two other vettes at it. The event was actually on a small go kart track which made things interesting. With those rear tires I almost lost it once, scary. Here is a photos and the video of the set where I lost it. Any pointers, suggestions, etc are always appreciated from the experts here.

Video: Click on Photo Below:

Pictures:

Last edited by SearayC5; 05-02-2011 at 09:34 PM.
Old 05-03-2011, 01:48 PM
tomiboy
Drifting

Received 21 Likes on 11 Posts

I like your number
Old 05-03-2011, 02:32 PM
Jason
Team Owner

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
CI 4-5-6-7 Veteran

Those are some big, hard white cones on the outside of that track.
Old 05-03-2011, 04:07 PM
SearayC5
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Jason
Those are some big, hard white cones on the outside of that track.
You're telling me. When I saw them I was pretty nervous. They were actually painted Styrofoam but they hardened over the years so it would of still hurt a whole lot.
Old 05-03-2011, 04:31 PM
Datawiz
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 320 Likes on 152 Posts
CI-7-8-9-10 Veteran
Cruise-In IX AutoX Winner
St. Jude Donor '05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11,'19,'22
St. Jude/CI Name Tag Designer

Originally Posted by SearayC5
Some questions, how does one keep the tires are the correct pressures when you constantly have to wait in between groups that run? Tire pressure recommendations?
Keep you valve stem caps off, keep your pressure gauge with you, and have a compressor or tank with you in grid if they cool off too much in between runs.

Glad you had fun. Yes, it's extremely addicting.

Old 05-03-2011, 06:15 PM
SearayC5
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Datawiz
Keep you valve stem caps off, keep your pressure gauge with you, and have a compressor or tank with you in grid if they cool off too much in between runs.

Glad you had fun. Yes, it's extremely addicting.

NICE!
Old 05-03-2011, 09:31 PM
paulmeisterpk
Advanced

It is very addicting. I've been doing very well with my Subaru for a few years now, so this year I set up my C4 to be a bit more competitive in BSP. I would recommend getting another set of rims with some R-comps if you want to have even more fun.
Old 05-03-2011, 11:50 PM
Bill Dearborn
Tech Contributor

Received 8,928 Likes on 5,333 Posts

Good old Cherry Valley Go Kart Track. Our club will be having an autocross there on July 24th. Maybe you can come out and run with a few Vettes. Last year our top runners were running 56 and 57 seconds for two laps. We have an 89 and a 66 that fight it out for FTD lately since I stopped running R compound tires. I can do high 58s and 59s there on EMTs and almost as good on Nitto NT05s.

The foam isn't too bad although it has been there a lot of years. A couple of years ago a guy in a 94 went off the end of the track, through the foam blocks and disappeared into the trees and creek. It took some effort to get him out of there.

I see from your video that Leo was there in his yellow Lotus. He usually attends our events as well.

We run the course a little differently than you were running it. As you face the track from the paddock area we start in pit out to the right of the timing shack and on the first lap instead of running the outer loop out by the highway take the old straight toward the timing shack, then on the second lap we use the outer loop and as we come off from it we exit into pit in at the left side of the timing shack with the timing lights set up for the start right at pit out and the finish lights set up at the corner that exits from that outer loop. Makes the finish a little exciting since you can't setup to run down the front straight but have to aim for pit in and take that bump the wrong way while holding the throttle until you pass the timer and then nailing the brake to get down to 5mph in pit lane.

Genesee Valley BMW Club will be running some events there as well.

Bill

Last edited by Bill Dearborn; 05-04-2011 at 12:11 AM.
Old 05-04-2011, 07:40 AM
Jason
Team Owner

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
CI 4-5-6-7 Veteran

painted Styrofoam
That would be a lot better.
Old 05-04-2011, 08:42 AM
LEAVINU
Le Mans Master

Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

With all the tire tracks through the infield I'm amazed those people were allowed to stand there and video.

Looks like a pretty decent track. I did one smaller than that and it became an all-out drift event for me so I know your pain.
Old 05-04-2011, 11:13 AM
trapp
Burning Brakes

I don't know what your experience level is but I would highly recommend a driving school such as bondurant. I have about 5 years of race-track driving and I learned alot about how to drive and about the capabilities of the Z06. The 550rwhp is really a drawback in autocross...harder to control the wheelspin not as much of a drawback for a road course. I learned how to drive....its mostly mental.....and then its just practice..
On the autocross at Bondurant I started out at 60 seconds...then after instruction I had it down to 55.1 consistantly. Thats as good as the instrutors were running it.....Having Vision on the track is the most important skill....

Last edited by trapp; 05-04-2011 at 03:24 PM. Reason: spelling
Old 05-04-2011, 01:41 PM
SearayC5
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Bill Dearborn
Good old Cherry Valley Go Kart Track. Our club will be having an autocross there on July 24th. Maybe you can come out and run with a few Vettes. Last year our top runners were running 56 and 57 seconds for two laps. We have an 89 and a 66 that fight it out for FTD lately since I stopped running R compound tires. I can do high 58s and 59s there on EMTs and almost as good on Nitto NT05s.

The foam isn't too bad although it has been there a lot of years. A couple of years ago a guy in a 94 went off the end of the track, through the foam blocks and disappeared into the trees and creek. It took some effort to get him out of there.

I see from your video that Leo was there in his yellow Lotus. He usually attends our events as well.

We run the course a little differently than you were running it. As you face the track from the paddock area we start in pit out to the right of the timing shack and on the first lap instead of running the outer loop out by the highway take the old straight toward the timing shack, then on the second lap we use the outer loop and as we come off from it we exit into pit in at the left side of the timing shack with the timing lights set up for the start right at pit out and the finish lights set up at the corner that exits from that outer loop. Makes the finish a little exciting since you can't setup to run down the front straight but have to aim for pit in and take that bump the wrong way while holding the throttle until you pass the timer and then nailing the brake to get down to 5mph in pit lane.

Genesee Valley BMW Club will be running some events there as well.

Bill
Bill,
What club/group will you going with on the 24th of July? I literally live about 10 or 15 minutes away from the track. Yeah the best time of the day was around 67 or 68 seconds with how the track was set up going through that chicane by the highway. I'd love to come out and get some pointers from you guys in the higher HP vettes!! Let me know how to get in on that?
Old 05-04-2011, 01:42 PM
SearayC5
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by trapp
I don't know what your experience level is but I would highly recommend a driving school such as bondurant. I have about 5 years of race-track driving and I learned alot about how to drive and about the capabilities of the Z06. The 550rwhp is really a drawback in autocross...harder to control the wheelspin not as much of a drawback for a road course. I learned how to drive....its mostly mental.....and then its just practice..
On the autocross at Bondurant I started out at 60 seconds...then after instruction I had it done to 55.1 consistantly. That as good as the instrutors were running it.....Having Vision on the track is the most important skill....
I actually am planning on to going to Bondurant/spring mountain. It is just the fact of getting off some time from work. I have wanted to go for years and I probably will very soon. This was my first auto-X/track experience to date. I am used to high HP cars, but never had a chance until recently as I just finished up college.
Old 05-04-2011, 03:30 PM
trapp
Burning Brakes

I actually am planning on to going to Bondurant/spring mountain. It is just the fact of getting off some time from work. I have wanted to go for years and I probably will very soon. This was my first auto-X/track experience to date. I am used to high HP cars, but never had a chance until recently as I just finished up college.
You will be a better driver hands-down when done with the school. I have a 550rwhp GS and know what your dealing with. Its worth it if you get the time. I went to Bondurant because I heard they are not just a high speed driving countryclub but a hardcore school for learning driving skills...and they were great!
Old 05-04-2011, 03:39 PM
Bill Dearborn
Tech Contributor

Bill,
What club/group will you going with on the 24th of July? I literally live about 10 or 15 minutes away from the track. Yeah the best time of the day was around 67 or 68 seconds with how the track was set up going through that chicane by the highway. I'd love to come out and get some pointers from you guys in the higher HP vettes!! Let me know how to get in on that?
Southern Tier Corvette Club out of the Binghamton area. We are an NCCC club. Send an email to billdear@stny.rr.com and I will send you a flyer.

Will also be doing an autocross at Binghamton University on 8/13 and 8/14. GVC BMW Club will be doing autocrosses at Cherry Valley on 6/18 and 9/17 plus they run several over at the old Seneca Army Depot airfield near Romulus during the summer. You can pre-register for their events through motorsportreg.com . They are well organized and this event is one of 5 in their annual autocross series. Their club web site is:
http://gvc-bmwcca.org/default.aspx .

If you are interested in traveling a few hours to the east Tri Vettes Ltd a club out of the Albany area runs a 3 event weekend at the Edinburg Airport Go Kart track twice a year. Their first weekend is 6/4-5. We usually have 3 or 4 cars that drive up Saturday morning, stay overnight/party then do the final event on Sunday and head home. It is a 3+ hour drive for us and probably a 2+ hour drive for you. Before Syracuse Corvette Club became a meet and eat club and Destiny CC folded we used to have a regular series of Corvette Club autocrosses through upstate NY.

Edited 5/4 to correct dates of Edinburg, NY event. It is June 4th and 5th.

Bill

Last edited by Bill Dearborn; 05-05-2011 at 10:24 AM.
Old 05-04-2011, 03:50 PM
Bill Dearborn
Tech Contributor

Originally Posted by LEAVINU
With all the tire tracks through the infield I'm amazed those people were allowed to stand there and video.

Looks like a pretty decent track. I did one smaller than that and it became an all-out drift event for me so I know your pain.
There is actually quite a bit of room for course workers and people taking video to be in that area safely. Those tracks probably weren't from anybody at the autocross or maybe the setup people drove across that area. When somebody goes off course they are down track further.
With the weather we are having this year I imagine that area is quite soupy and stops a car pretty quickly. Over the years we have had complaints from the owner about tearing up the grass down there when trying to get a car out that is buried to its rocker panels in soggy ground.

Bill
Old 05-05-2011, 08:35 AM
SearayC5
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Bill Dearborn
Southern Tier Corvette Club out of the Binghamton area. We are an NCCC club. Send an email to billdear@stny.rr.com and I will send you a flyer.

Will also be doing an autocross at Binghamton University on 8/13 and 8/14. GVC BMW Club will be doing autocrosses at Cherry Valley on 6/18 and 9/17 plus they run several over at the old Seneca Army Depot airfield near Romulus during the summer. You can pre-register for their events through motorsportreg.com . They are well organized and this event is one of 5 in their annual autocross series. Their club web site is:
http://gvc-bmwcca.org/default.aspx .

If you are interested in traveling a few hours to the east Tri Vettes Ltd a club out of the Albany area runs a 3 event weekend at the Edinburg Airport Go Kart track twice a year. Their first weekend is 6/18-19. We usually have 3 or 4 cars that drive up Saturday morning, stay overnight/party then do the final event on Sunday and head home. It is a 3+ hour drive for us and probably a 2+ hour drive for you. Before Syracuse Corvette Club became a meet and eat club and Destiny CC folded we used to have a regular series of Corvette Club autocrosses through upstate NY.

Bill
Email sent! I look forward to meeting you and finally finding a few local vette owners that are not afraid of revving the engine over 2500 rpm.
Old 05-05-2011, 10:27 AM
Bill Dearborn
Tech Contributor

Email sent! I look forward to meeting you and finally finding a few local vette owners that are not afraid of revving the engine over 2500 rpm.
Flyer for June event has been sent. Dates are June 4th and 5th not the 18th and 19th.

My Z sees 7K rpm quite often during the track season. Will post a video taken about 8 years ago inside of my C5 on the course at Edinburg.

Bill
Old 05-05-2011, 11:42 AM
Bill Dearborn
Tech Contributor

A couple of videos taken from my previous car an 03Z. First one in 10-03 the first time I ran it at Edinburg (Sacandaga) and the second is from 09 the last time I ran it before I got my 08.

Bill

Get notified of new replies

To First Autocross Experience in C6Z

Quick Reply: First Autocross Experience in C6Z