Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Race Seat mounting question

Search this Thread

Old 05-05-2011, 09:59 PM
Charley Hoyt
Safety Car

Received 36 Likes on 33 Posts

Default Race Seat mounting question

When I look at the side mount brackets for race seats they look fairly simple considering how expensive they are. Is there any reason I couldn't just make a set from some 6061 T6 angle brackets (or stainless)? Or is there more complexity they there appears to be?

Thanks for the help,
Charley

Last edited by Charley Hoyt; 05-05-2011 at 10:50 PM.
Old 05-05-2011, 10:48 PM
redtopz
Melting Slicks

Received 44 Likes on 27 Posts

Originally Posted by Charley Hoyt
When I look at the side mount brackets for race seats they look fairly simple considering how expensive they are. Is there any reason I couldn't just make a set from some 6061 T6 angle brackets? Or is there more complexity they there appears to be?

Thanks for the help,
Charley
I made my own with steel angle. Cost maybe $10 and I could get the seat exactly where I wanted it. I also recommend a seat back brace connected to the roll bar (if you have a roll bar). It really makes the seat solid.
Old 05-06-2011, 07:50 AM
John Shiels
Team Owner

Location: Buy USA products! Check the label! Employ Americans
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by Charley Hoyt
When I look at the side mount brackets for race seats they look fairly simple considering how expensive they are. Is there any reason I couldn't just make a set from some 6061 T6 angle brackets (or stainless)? Or is there more complexity they there appears to be?

Thanks for the help,
Charley
sure if you have the time, tools, materials, & engineering expertise. I made my own before Hardbar made any and they look very similar just not a wealth of adjustments but they fit me great.
Old 05-06-2011, 10:21 AM
davidfarmer
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 711 Likes on 492 Posts

1/4" aluminum Angle from Ebay works just fine. FIA seat mounts are 5mm aluminum, so that's good enough for me. I need to find a picture of mine. You need to make sure it is tall enough to reach up high on most seats.

It does require some cutting, but if you don't have access to a sawsall, then you probably shouldn't be working on race cars!

Last edited by davidfarmer; 05-06-2011 at 10:24 AM.
Old 05-06-2011, 10:24 AM
davidfarmer
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 711 Likes on 492 Posts

Old 05-06-2011, 10:24 AM
SIK02SS
Melting Slicks

Received 33 Likes on 30 Posts

I had the shop build a seat frame that goes between the frame and driveline tunnel and attaches to my roll cage. I don't trust our balsa wood floor to keep me where I should be in case of an accident.
Old 05-06-2011, 12:06 PM
rmackintosh
Pro

Received 29 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by SIK02SS
I had the shop build a seat frame that goes between the frame and driveline tunnel and attaches to my roll cage. I don't trust our balsa wood floor to keep me where I should be in case of an accident.
Given my recent accident and the issues seat movement caused me....I would concur. The best mounting possible, in a Corvette tying to stronger elements would be the ONLY way I would do it in the future.....
Old 05-06-2011, 01:05 PM
travisnd
Safety Car

Received 18 Likes on 10 Posts

FWIW the factory seat supports are metal bars taht are under the floor-pan. They are welded to the outer frame rail and the center trans tunnel. The seat studs go through them.

I cut out the top of my factory floor pan to lower my seat as much as possible and I have to say I couldn't make them flex. They're not as flimsy as some say on here. I know we go faster on track... much faster, but they are designed to hold a much heavier OEM seat. If anything I'd just re-inforce them from the underside.

EDIT - Plus the back of my seat will be tied into the cage. rmackintosh was your seat tied into the cage?
Old 05-06-2011, 01:23 PM
rmackintosh
Pro

Received 29 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by travisnd
FWIW the factory seat supports are metal bars taht are under the floor-pan. They are welded to the outer frame rail and the center trans tunnel. The seat studs go through them.

EDIT - Plus the back of my seat will be tied into the cage. rmackintosh was your seat tied into the cage?
OK...I have no knowledge of the GM provided seat support brackets. But I would MAKE SURE that they are strong enough. Providing strength for a 60MPH collision is a far cry from flipping wildly at 120 MPH as I was recently "lucky enough" to experience.

Yes, my seat back was tied to the cage...but it broke free due to the floor moving so much. The Camaro does not have much of a frame...unibody...and what I THOUGHT was a strong seat mount was compromised by massive floor movement.
Old 05-06-2011, 01:24 PM
travisnd
Safety Car

Received 18 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by rmackintosh
The Camaro does not have much of a frame...unibody...and what I THOUGHT was a strong seat mount was compromised by massive floor movement.
10-4 good to know
Old 05-07-2011, 08:09 AM
wtknght1
Melting Slicks

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Gary Hoffman (Hardbar) makes a great, light, adjustable seat mount that he can even customize for you. He made a slightly lighter version for me and even had it powdercoated white. It looks awesome and is ultra strong!!!
Old 05-10-2011, 10:12 PM
Joe_Knesek
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm just finishing up a set of mounts I made using an aluminum 45 degree gusset profile. The triangle shape is much stronger than an L shape. I'll post photos once I finish powdercoating them.

Get notified of new replies

To Race Seat mounting question

Quick Reply: Race Seat mounting question